Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poly that is very soft, long liveliness and no need break-in period (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442701)

sepidoel 10-11-2012 11:23 AM

Poly that is very soft, long liveliness and no need break-in period

As I mentioned, what are the candidates? I prefer economical ones and spin is not necessary as I want to put it as crosses.

Thanks in advance.

db10s 10-11-2012 11:33 AM

Black widow is soft with scary spin.

ewberner 10-11-2012 02:57 PM

Kirschbaum Pro Line X or Evolution

pvaudio 10-11-2012 03:18 PM

IMO, WeissCANNON Mosquito Bite is what you want.

pvaudio 10-11-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 6948570)
Black widow is soft with scary spin.

He's using it as a cross.

Up&comer 10-11-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6949044)

Exactly what I was thinking. Turbotwist wouldn't be a bad idea to try out, but it is seriously powerful.

cluckcluck 10-11-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 6949010)
Kirschbaum Pro Line X or Evolution

+1 on the Pro Line X

TonyB 10-11-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6949044)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 6949060)
Exactly what I was thinking. Turbotwist wouldn't be a bad idea to try out, but it is seriously powerful.

I think MB is probably a good choice. But the first strings that came to mind were Turbotwist and Polystar Energy.

Of course, Energy is half the price in reel form.

Compared to Polystar Energy, you won't find any other poly that's softer, has more power, does NOT go dead, and plays perfectly right from the start with no break-in required.

parasailing 10-11-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6949081)
+1 on the Pro Line X

+1 on Pro Line Evolution. Also like to add L-tec 0S as another option.

ciocc 10-11-2012 10:36 PM

MSV Co Focus

darklore009 10-12-2012 04:26 AM

Black magic
Cyberflash

pvaudio 10-12-2012 05:19 AM

Indeed, I was thinking Turbotwist, but since he didn't mention pop I presumed that wasn't high on the list :)

sepidoel 10-12-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 6949170)
I think MB is probably a good choice. But the first strings that came to mind were Turbotwist and Polystar Energy.

Of course, Energy is half the price in reel form.

Compared to Polystar Energy, you won't find any other poly that's softer, has more power, does NOT go dead, and plays perfectly right from the start with no break-in required.

I've been using Polystar Energy 17 (reel) on some raquets. It was quite soft on my Prince Rebel 95 (R.I.P. T.T), but it felt quite harsh on my Dunlop Bio 100 (@48 lbs cross). Usually I bashed the stringbed onto the back of my shoe a few times to soften it out. The ball pocketing are different on those two. Now I want to try other options other than PSE.

@pvaudio: o yes, having more pop is a big plus, especially on mid size racquet. :)

List of suggestions:

Dunlop Black Widow ($12.95)
Kirschbaum Pro Line X ($8.00 - Buy 3 or more for $5.33 per set!)
Kirschbaum Pro Line Evolution ($12.50)
WeissCANNON Mosquito Bite ($9.95)
WeissCANNON Turbotwist ($12.90)
L-TEC Premium OS ($16.9)
MSV Co Focus ($7.90)
Genesis Black magic ($7.90)
Topspin Cyber Flash ($7.49)

Thank you guys, I'll do my best to try some of those strings starting from WeissCANNON and Kirschbaum ones..... Unfortunately, they're quite scarce here. T.T

BTW, how about Volkl Cyclone? I suddenly remember I saw a Chinese store sold its 210m reel for about $65.

pvaudio 10-12-2012 09:41 AM

Cyclone is excellent but does NOT last. That pretty much counts it out unless you're willing to restring every few hours as it dies.

The difference between Mosquito Bite and Turbotwist is really only seen when you use the 1.18mm version of TT. It's a very powerful string, and while I can't comment on it as a cross string, Mosquito Bite is far more versatile. Having played with a 100 for years, you won't be wanting for power from Mosquito Bite whereas Turbotwist could get away from you.

And no, the L-Tec is a complete waste of money.

pvaudio 10-12-2012 09:42 AM

And I don't know where he got that information, but Polystar Energy doesn't even have above average tension stability. It dies about as quickly as the majority of polys.

JT_2eighty 10-12-2012 10:01 AM

Mosquito Bite for sure.

I've used it extensively alongside Polystar Energy, and MB wins in almost every category: tension maintenance by far, better feel, better control.

In terms of power and comfort, they are very close, but while Energy turns into a rocket launcher over time, Mosquito Bite is a longevity string which doesn't become uncontrollable in the any way like PE; MB maintains just the right balance of power/control/feel for longer than any poly I've tried (all this is with gut mains setup in a dense 18x20 midplus... see sig).

JT_2eighty 10-12-2012 10:07 AM

If I had the time to restring every match or so, I'd probably have stuck with PE in a full bed. It is great fresh and needs no real break-in.

Since I don't have tons of free time to restring and prefer gut mains setup, MB is a fantastic cross string that I can use til my gut breaks, and I play a decent amount of doubles too, for which it truly excels at the net.

sepidoel 10-12-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6950538)
And I don't know where he got that information, but Polystar Energy doesn't even have above average tension stability. It dies about as quickly as the majority of polys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 6950588)
If I had the time to restring every match or so, I'd probably have stuck with PE in a full bed. It is great fresh and needs no real break-in.

Since I don't have tons of free time to restring and prefer gut mains setup, MB is a fantastic cross string that I can use til my gut breaks, and I play a decent amount of doubles too, for which it truly excels at the net.

Agree on the PSE. Its "sweet period" is very short because of poor tension stability. I choose to string it a bit high for my liking so I'll have 3 periods of time: quite harsh (sometimes I can make use of that), sweet period and rocket launcher (very little bite, quite useless).

Too bad about Cyclone, I thought I could have a good deal there..... :cry:

Well, I hope I can find the Mosquito Bite nearby, other wise I have to wait when I go abroad. So excited, can't wait to try it. :)

Thank a lot, guys.

Chotobaka 10-12-2012 07:56 PM

Big Ace Micro fits your wish list and would work well as a cross for you. Comfy, but the very good tension maintenance is the cherry on top.

Muppet 10-12-2012 08:25 PM

How do Mosquito Bite and Big Ace Micro compare?