Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Swollen knee (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442705)

*Val* 10-11-2012 11:59 AM

Swollen knee
 
Hi guys

I'm having an issue with a really swollen (left) knee and need some advice. I don't think I hurt it playing tennis, but since tennis is my sport I thought I'd come here.

The thing is, I'm not sure how I've hurt it, I think I may have bashed it but I can't fully remember. I just noticed it was hurting the past couple of days and now its really sore/swollen. That is, the kneecap is swollen/protruding (I can prod it and it feels swollen/with a soft, painful layer).

It doesn't really hurt when I'm walking/moving, so I'm hoping that is a sign it isn't a mechanical injury, and I as I said I think I recall knocking/bashing it against something, but I guess I didn't fully register it at the time. Last time I played tennis was sunday. Other than that I've done some trekking, I was wearing my walking boots which are quite solid and walking on concrete for some time (with superfeet blue in them which are also quite hard), I don't know if that could have caused it.

So any knee experts on TW? Sound like a mechanical injury or just a knock? Would I have to wait for all the swelling to go to play tennis again? Thanks

ollinger 10-11-2012 12:16 PM

knee pain could be an injury, gout, septic arthritis, lupus, lyme disease, osteoarthritis, the list goes on.........see an orthopedist.

LeeD 10-11-2012 12:18 PM

Do little, wait for swelling to go down. Doubt it's a bruise, but it might be.
If swelling doesn't drop in a week, see doc, of course. It could be serious stuff like cruciates inside the cap, it could be a bee sting.
If you can run and play tennis, it's probably not too serious, but could still be a structural problem, see doc.
Also, you need to locate the swelling EXACTLY, and the pain, if any exactly.
See doc.

*Val* 10-11-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6948657)
Do little, wait for swelling to go down. Doubt it's a bruise, but it might be.
If swelling doesn't drop in a week, see doc, of course. It could be serious stuff like cruciates inside the cap, it could be a bee sting.
If you can run and play tennis, it's probably not too serious, but could still be a structural problem, see doc.
Also, you need to locate the swelling EXACTLY, and the pain, if any exactly.
See doc.

Well the time it takes to see a doc here in the UK the swelling will probably be over. Swelling over the kneecap. Most painful to the touch on the outside parts of it. But it doesn't feel painful to walk with or even run (not that I've been for an extended run in past couple of days, but just like running up stairs, jogging etc).

If it were serious stuff like cruciates wouldn't it hurt to move?

LeeD 10-11-2012 12:39 PM

A E-room doc bud of mine diagnosed my clicking knee (clicking both side of the kneecap) as a torn anterior cruciate. He said to come in for MRI. He also said it could be degenerative aging. I"m 63.
My gymnastic coach bud also said the same thing, but didn't mention my aging.
I have my doubts, and I also have no insurance.
I've known basketball players who persisted through several games with partial torn anteriors.
At my age, I can live without ever jumping or running again. Can you?

*Val* 10-11-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6948711)
A E-room doc bud of mine diagnosed my clicking knee (clicking both side of the kneecap) as a torn anterior cruciate. He said to come in for MRI. He also said it could be degenerative aging. I"m 63.
My gymnastic coach bud also said the same thing, but didn't mention my aging.
I have my doubts, and I also have no insurance.
I've known basketball players who persisted through several games with partial torn anteriors.
At my age, I can live without ever jumping or running again. Can you?

Funny you should mention it. I tend to get clicky knees. My physio said don't worry about it though.

LeeD 10-11-2012 01:13 PM

I think a general clicking knee is normal with overuse and some age.
But the timed clicking of my knees, on both sides almost simultainously, was the cause of concern for both the doc and the gymnastic's coach.
For me, Medicare doesn't kick in for another 2 years, so I'll live with my physical state as is.
My surfing in small waves is still fine, my snowboarding has gone downhill from excessive back foot loads (my bad knee and ankle side), I don't run playing tennis, my windsurfing hasn't suffered at all, and my biking is the best it's ever been.

charliefedererer 10-11-2012 08:28 PM

Make sure most of the swelling has gone down before playing tennis.

Test it out with some light jogging rather than on the tennis court - you don't want to get into a match with the knee aching but you are too stubborn to quit.


If it isn't getting better, you really should see an orthopod who specializes in sports medicine. You've done a fairly good job of describing your symptoms, but only a proper exam can identify what really is going on in you.

*Val* 10-13-2012 01:36 AM

I don't know if this is related to my herniated disc, I have a L4-L5 herniation and symptoms typically on the left side. Occasionally the outside bit of the left knee gets a bit sore if the leg/nerve is tight, but in my three + years of having it nothing like this has ever happened (it has never physically swelled). And I don't think I did anything overly exertive in the past week or so to get it this way. I thought it was getting better as the swelling seemed to go down after I made the thread, but I had work yesterday and am on my feet a lot, I didn't feel a thing but I noticed last night that it had swelled up again, so slapped ice on it. I'm racking my brains to try and remember if I bashed it, I vaguely remember bashing something (like on a desk or sth) and limping for like 5 mins afterwards before walking it off and forgetting about it, I seriously hope it was my knee cause that would explain everything, and I wouldn't have to worry about some kind of mechanical injury.

charliefedererer 10-15-2012 06:06 AM

I doubt the knee is related to your herniated disc - swelling is a sign of local inflammation.


Your theory of a recent injury may be the reason for the swelling.



Unfortunately, if it isn't getting better with a period of rest, you likely need to be formally evaluated by a sports medicine orthopod to find out what really is going on.

*Val* 10-17-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefedererer (Post 6956522)
I doubt the knee is related to your herniated disc - swelling is a sign of local inflammation.

Your theory of a recent injury may be the reason for the swelling.

Unfortunately, if it isn't getting better with a period of rest, you likely need to be formally evaluated by a sports medicine orthopod to find out what really is going on.

I started actually resting it after last post. The swelling has mostly come down but I'm left with a lot of bruising. Purpley bruise on the inside of the kneecap. If anything it feels more achey than it did before, I dunno if that is just the healing process. Ah the things that keep me away from tennis :(

*Val* 10-17-2012 10:53 AM

can anyone comment on whether it is normal for the bruising to appear later? the swelling of the kneecap came first and as that came down the purpley bruise appeared, and now its quite achey/sore, but I have been resting it since the end of last week

note i'd have seen a doctor already but the nhs sucks *** in UK, takes ages to get an appointment


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse