||10-12-2012 01:08 PM
15 Records Federer will likely break in the next year or two
1. Most consecutive grandslam appearances: Federer has 52 consecutive, and is number 3 on the list behind Edberg who has 54, and Ferreira who leads with 56 consecutive grand slam appearances.
2. Total match wins at the French Open: Federer has 54 and is second place behind Vilas, who has 58 total French open wins. Although Nadal is only two match wins behind Federer at 52 wins, even if he wins the French Open next year Federer can take the top place if he reaches the final, or surpass Vilas and be tied with Nadal for most wins, if he loses in the Semis. This is assuming Nadal is healthy and even plays the French, of course. If Nadal retires early due to his recent knee complications, Federer could even hold this record over Nadal for good.
3. Most consecutive years appearing in at least one Grand Slam singles Final: At the moment Federer has reached at least one slam final for 10 straight years, and is number 3 on this list behind Lendl and Sampras who have 11 years with at least one grand slam final. Roger would only need two more decent years to break this record. Unless Lendl is inspired by his pupil, Andy Murray, and trains during the offseason only to lose a couple more slam finals.
4. Total match wins at Year End Championship: Federer and Lendl both share the top spot with 39 wins. Roger will obviously break this by the end of this season.
5. Winning percentage at Year End Championship: If Federer can get to at least the finals at the Year End Championship, he will pass Illie Nastase for the highest winning percentage at the tournament. Federer trails him now by0.22 percent, for he has 84.78 percent, while Nastase has 85.00 percent.
6. Most Master series titles: Federer currently shares the top spot with Nadal at 21 titles. Unfortunately for Nadal, If Federer can win Shanghai or Paris he will break the tie and lead this important record before Nadal even has a chance to. FYI: Federer currrently is at the top of the list for most Master Series Finals reached.
7. Most weeks in top 3: Roger can break Jimmy Connors' record of 595 total weeks in the top 3 if he can stay within the top 3 for another 117 weeks. Its not going to be easy with Murray's breakthrough, but I wouldn't be surprised at if he broke this record.
8. Most years ending top 2: Federer currently shares this record with Connors. 8 times they have both ended the year either 1 or 2 in the world. Federer is almost guaranteed to break this record by the end of this season.
9. Titles on an outdoor court: Federer and Vilas both share the top spot of this record with 56 titles. Federer will most definitley break the tie and take this record for himself.
10. Consecutive years with one title: Federer shares the number 3 spot on this list with 12 years along with Becker, Edberg and Andy Roddick, but will most likely win a title each year he plays, so therefore if he plays for at least 2 more full seasons and enough of a third season to win a title, he will take the top spot of this particular record.
11. Most hard court Grand Slam match wins: Both Federer and Agassi have accumulated 127 Grand Slam wins on hardcourts. Fed will break this record after he wins the first round at the Aussie Open.
12: First player to reach $75,000,000 in prize money: Federer has accumulated $73,691,177 and therefore will definitely break this record very soon.
13: Most ATP 500 titles: Federer shares this record with Nadal and Sampras, but can break this tie and take the record if he wins Basel, or any other ATP 500 next year like Rotterdam.
14. Most ATP 250 titles: Federer currently has 20 ATP 250 titles which is the highest among active players, unless you include Lleyton Hewitt as an active player. If he can win 7 more he will break Thomas Muster's record of 26 ATP 250 titles.
15. Most weeks at Top 2: Federer already has the most consecutive weeks at top 2, but can accumulate the most weeks total in the top 2 if he can stay there for another 18 total weeks, for that would pass Lendl at 401 weeks. Take in consideration that the 6 weeks during the offseason DO count.
Just felt like making this list, I know there are probably 20 more records/milestones that Federer can break soon, so if you know any more, please share them. This can be like a thread for the upcoming records and milstones that Federer can hopefully reach.