Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Wording of Federers Facebook post suggest retirement? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442908)

gunnd5000 10-13-2012 04:52 PM

Wording of Federers Facebook post suggest retirement?

Leaving China...It was such a special trip to Shanghai. The fans were absolutely amazing. Thanks so much, I will always remember your support!

I don't mean to be pre-emptive and it is probably just because, although his english is very good it is not his first langauge, but the way that is worded it sounds like he wont be back in China. Strongly doubt this however, although the wording is eh...

Yeah I know he could be saying he'lll remember this specific group of fans or the fans at this particular years event.

kaku 10-13-2012 04:53 PM

Shady wording, but it could be interpreted as this years support being more memorable than previous years

Lovely_Bone 10-13-2012 04:54 PM

I thought the same thing when I read it. Is he going to retire? :o

Rippy 10-13-2012 04:54 PM

Yeah, it is strange wording, but I imagine Fed didn't write it himself anyway, and the person who did write it probably didn't put too much thought into it.

Cup8489 10-13-2012 04:57 PM

Maybe he won't play Shanghai again since after the end of this year he can choose whatever events to play.. and since china is so far out of the way between USO and basel/paris/london.. he would be less willing to make the trip if he didn't need to.

gunnd5000 10-13-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 6953431)
Maybe he won't play Shanghai again since after the end of this year he can choose whatever events to play.. and since china is so far out of the way between USO and basel/paris/london.. he would be less willing to make the trip if he didn't need to.

yeah reduced schedual could be the answer but is it not a well known fact that federer loves the tournament in Shanghai?

How does reducing your schedual work is itless compulsary tournaments past a centrain age or what?

DragonBlaze 10-13-2012 05:00 PM

Federer is being his usual passive aggressive self, what he's really trying to say is he will always remember the death threat :shock:

/trollmode

Cup8489 10-13-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnd5000 (Post 6953438)
yeah reduced schedual could be the answer but is it not a well known fact that federer loves the tournament in Shanghai?

How does reducing your schedual work is itless compulsary tournaments past a centrain age or what?

After this year, he'll have met all 3 exemptions for masters events: 31 years of age, 12 years on tour.. and a certain number of match wins, which I've forgotten. That means he can elect to skip every single masters event without penalty if he chooses to. So flying halfway around the world for one tournament, and then back, during his typical fall break would be even less likely after this year. I was surprised he played shanghai this year, TBH.

Clarky21 10-13-2012 05:03 PM

I hope he's not calling it quits. What a crappy era we have coming up with ******* dominating every event. Just the thought of Fed hanging up his racket makes me sad. :(

DragonBlaze 10-13-2012 05:06 PM

In all seriousness, pretty weird wording indeed. I'm more inclined to think he probably won't ever go back to the Asian swing ever again. I still think he's sticking around till 2014.

gunnd5000 10-13-2012 05:12 PM

Federer might want to go out as the world number 1 though? Not let his decline be a public one. He has a good chance at no1 this year but slimmer in 2013 and in 2014 next to none.

On the other hand he probably knows nothing other than tennis, still thinks he's going to win gold in Rio or aspires to win more slams or other goals. Who knows.

tistrapukcipeht 10-13-2012 05:18 PM

He probably said goodbye to the CHinese tournament, that's all.

Lovely_Bone 10-13-2012 05:23 PM

He also did have some funny antics during his Murray match. He was getting more upset and seeming more desperate than usual once things were going badly.
Not sure if that means anything or not.

Zarfot Z 10-13-2012 05:28 PM

Federer specifically states he's going to play pass 2016.

You're over-examining it.

BauerAlmeida 10-13-2012 06:08 PM

Sounds weird yes.

But I still think he will play untill Rio.

Hood_Man 10-13-2012 06:40 PM

I'm sure I remember a situation like this a few years ago, it might even have been after the US Open final in '09. He said something which was interpreted as a message of goodbye, and of course, since he's still playing 3 years later, that's not what he meant.

I'd assume it's the same now.

Fearsome Forehand 10-13-2012 07:21 PM

It means I won't be back unless you break out the check book and pay me big bucks to play Rafa or Joker in an exhibition match. :)

Roger loves the game so much that I don't think he will quit until he can't win anymore.

mctennis 10-13-2012 07:23 PM

He probably can't afford to retire. He has twins to support as well as his wife. Can a guy ever get a break?

mike84 10-13-2012 07:29 PM

tbh I find Roger very similar to Jordan and Schumacher.

Anything else they did after retirement wasn't satisfying and they came out of retirement.

cork_screw 10-13-2012 07:50 PM

I think he worded it exactly as the author probably guessed.

If he does retire, he would probably retire right after a grandslam say USO, maybe Wimbledon. And you announce your retirement with a projected slam or event in mind ahead of time to prep people for that moment of recognition and closure, like what roddick did this year. If that's the case, shanghai would be out of the picture if he was announcing his retirement because all the slams coincide before it, which would make sense for him to say something like that if he was padding any uncertainty that he wouldn't know if next year was his last year. The thing is people don't really know what they'll do (just in life in general), but I'm sure this loss was kinda big because Murray beat him really easily seeing as how he was completely overpowered and he didn't take any set into a tiebreak or let alone win a set. Wawrinka was pretty much overpowering him as well and he was lucky to come out of that one alive.

I'm saying he's padding his moments and saying his goodbyes just in case he feels a certain way after a few months, that he won't regret not addressing any departures without making any closures without it. It's like if your grandpa visits and he's about to leave, you make sure you give him that last hug because you can't say whether you'll see him again.

And for the record "Zarfot" he never said that. He actually never made any firm commitments about exactly how long he would play. 2016 is a very long time and I don't think anyone can predict years ahead of time what will happen to them because life is pretty unpredictable. He said he would like to (wishful thinking) to play at the age of 34, but that's nothing more than just a nice thought to have. Let me say this about predicting the future. When people get married, they feel about that time that they will be with that person for the rest of their lives and nothing is going to change that. They'll be old and grey and happily be living somewhere with that person, almost like a movie. But in reality see all the registered divorces that occur every year because things change and peoples' minds change. Nothing is predictable, no matter how fit you feel things are at that moment. That is one life lesson I've learned after all my years of being alive.