Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I miss old Nadal (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442916)

tennisbuck 10-13-2012 06:19 PM

I miss old Nadal

Ok and this is coming from someone who isn't even a fan. Back in 05-07 he wore pants/shorts, the vamoses were so orignal, and he hit amazing pass winners. He even seemed more tenacious back then to me. Thoughts?

winstonplum 10-13-2012 10:11 PM

Yes, you are right. The "vamoses" did seem one of a kind back then. He doesn't even do it that much anymore or show tons of emotion on court, except in very, very desperate situations, e.g. second and third set against Berdych in AO '12 and 4th set against Nole in AO '12.

RAFA2005RG 10-13-2012 10:17 PM

Boring thread.....

firepanda 10-13-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 6953821)
Boring thread.....

...but very very true. Vintage Nadal and US2010 Nadal are the two most entertaining styles I've seen. I can't help feel that he's sitting in a sort of uncanny valley at the moment.

Lovely_Bone 10-13-2012 10:56 PM

I really wonder why he stopped playing the way he did at the 2010 USO... If he hadn't Djokovic's 2011 year may not have been quite as special. I mean, he had to have made some conscious decision for his serve to go from 130 back down to 110 :(
The 2010 USO Nadal would be easier on his body as he was off court faster and points were shorter. Hopefully maybe he'll play that way again once he comes back from this injury in order to preserve his body. One can dream, can't he? :D

cork_screw 10-13-2012 10:57 PM

I wonder why Nadal stopped wearing pirate pants and cut off shirts. He wore those muscle shirts religiously and now he's all covered up.

RAFA2005RG 10-13-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovely_Bone (Post 6953847)
I really wonder why he stopped playing the way he did at the 2010 USO... If he hadn't Djokovic's 2011 year may not have been quite as special. I mean, he had to have made some conscious decision for his serve to go from 130 back down to 110 :(
The 2010 USO Nadal would be easier on his body as he was off court faster and points were shorter. Hopefully maybe he'll play that way again once he comes back from this injury in order to preserve his body. One can dream, can't he? :D

Nadal's 1st serve average was only 116mph in the 2010 US Open final (and 121mph for the tournament). The 130mph were few and far between (maybe 2-3 per match, and none in some matches). The serve wasn't the reason he won the US Open. The court position and forehand was the reason. In fact, Nadal averaged 120mph in the 2011 Wimbledon final vs Djokovic. Even faster than 2010. And Nadal averaged over 120mph in the Rosol loss this year (and hit 19 aces). Means nothing.

Lovely_Bone 10-13-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 6953851)
Nadal's 1st serve average was only 116mph in the 2010 US Open final (and 121mph for the tournament). The 130mph were few and far between (maybe 2-3 per match, and none in some matches). The serve wasn't the reason he won the US Open. The court position and forehand was the reason. In fact, Nadal averaged 120mph in the 2011 Wimbledon final vs Djokovic. Even faster than 2010. And Nadal averaged over 120mph in the Rosol loss this year (and hit 19 aces). Means nothing.

Yeah, against Rosol I though maybe he was really cranking his serve up to 2010 level, then he lost :( And i know it wasn't the serve that won him the USO, I just meant that he stopped being so aggressive, and hopefully when he comes back he will be aggressive again to take strain of long grinding points off of his body.

MichaelNadal 10-14-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 6953851)

It was definitely his court position and forehand that won him the tournament. He was cracking that thing and it was just exploding off the court.

Steve0904 10-14-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbuck (Post 6953542)
Ok and this is coming from someone who isn't even a fan. Back in 05-07 he wore pants/shorts, the vamoses were so orignal, and he hit amazing pass winners. He even seemed more tenacious back then to me. Thoughts?

I agree somewhat. The vamoses were bound to lose their originality eventually, but he did seem to get more fired up more often when he was younger, and the pirate pants were original. Having said that, as a Fed fan, I like him better the way he is now. Back when he was younger he was way over the top with the celebrations and the like IMHO. Although I still don't like him because of the questionable MTO's and bathroom breaks.

smash hit 10-14-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve0904 (Post 6954780)
I agree somewhat. The vamoses were bound to lose their originality eventually, but he did seem to get more fired up more often when he was younger, and the pirate pants were original. Having said that, as a Fed fan, I like him better the way he is now. Back when he was younger he was way over the top with the celebrations and the like IMHO. Although I still don't like him because of the questionable MTO's and bathroom breaks.

Federer is not beyond taking questionable bathroom breaks, remember the match against Davydenko? Remember the MTO to get his toe nails trimmed when he was losing to Canas and he has done it on other occasions. What about the questionable delay in yesterdays semi final?

Sim 10-14-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 6953945)
It was definitely his court position and forehand that won him the tournament. He was cracking that thing and it was just exploding off the court.

No one but Nadal was winning USO that year. Similar to how he was going to win FO '08 & '12 for sure :)

tennisaddict 10-14-2012 09:31 AM

Moon balling , vamos at 15-0 in first game of the match, 'Very difficult opponent, no ? ' against a challenger player - all have a limited shelf life and after that it gets annoying / boring.

veroniquem 10-14-2012 09:53 AM

Why "old" Nadal? I miss Rafa period. Having top 3 instead of top 4 destroys any balance in the draws + Rafa's brand of charisma is sorely wanted. We need Rafa back asap!!!

Steve0904 10-14-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smash hit (Post 6954901)
Federer is not beyond taking questionable bathroom breaks, remember the match against Davydenko? Remember the MTO to get his toe nails trimmed when he was losing to Canas and he has done it on other occasions. What about the questionable delay in yesterdays semi final?

Never said he was. All the guys have their faults, I just like Federer the most. That's not to say that there are things I don't like about him.

Gorecki 10-14-2012 10:03 AM

so all you are Nadal's older sister?

kishnabe 10-14-2012 10:12 AM

I miss the Capri's and Sleeveless. It harder to hate him now :(...with his more dignified look.

Crisstti 10-14-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 6955012)
Why "old" Nadal? I miss Rafa period. Having top 3 instead of top 4 destroys any balance in the draws + Rafa's brand of charisma is sorely wanted. We need Rafa back asap!!!

Exactly what I was thinking... why all the talk about "old Nadal"?. His clothes?, really?, who cares about that?. He's frigging brilliant now as well. I just want him to come back.

mistik 10-14-2012 01:33 PM

Old Rafa because he was very passionate and a such a fighter he did have best passing shots the game ever seen,his backhand was better and he was fearless as a player thats what missing about him as well. Nadal after 2010 lacks passion and heart for the game which isnt so much difficult to read from his body language.Nadal 2011 wasnt injured, on paper he did have damn good results.He clearly lacks passion and fight thats why it wasnt the same joy to watch him.That Rome, Madrid and Wimbledon defeats was one of the worst Rafa ı have seen for many years.Thats why OLD RAFA missed.

He will never comeback though.

Clarky21 10-14-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistik (Post 6955420)
Old Rafa because he was very passionate and a such a fighter he did have best passing shots the game ever seen,his backhand was better and he was fearless as a player thats what missing about him as well. Nadal after 2010 lacks passion and heart for the game which isnt so much difficult to read from his body language.Nadal 2011 wasnt injured, on paper he did have damn good results.He clearly lacks passion and fight thats why it wasnt the same joy to watch him.That Rome, Madrid and Wimbledon defeats was one of the worst Rafa ı have seen for many years.Thats why OLD RAFA missed.

He will never comeback though.

This. A million times over. It's obvious that Nadal does not want to play tennis anymore. It's a shame the way he keeps stringing his fans along instead of just announcing his retirement.