Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murray should be stripped of his Olympic gold medal (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443004)

Russeljones 10-14-2012 10:07 PM

Murray should be stripped of his Olympic gold medal
 
Should the referendum on Scottish independence go the way of separation. In such an event Andy Murray would appear to have represented team GB falsely and thus should be stripped of all merit obtained.

Discuss! :twisted:

RF20Lennon 10-14-2012 11:04 PM

Dafaq did I just read? :shock:

batz 10-15-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6956125)
Should the referendum on Scottish independence go the way of separation. In such an event Andy Murray would appear to have represented team GB falsely and thus should be stripped of all merit obtained.

Discuss! :twisted:

OK. Murray, like Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Chris Hoy and other famous Scots who are not on the electoral register of Scotland, will not be voting in the forthcoming referendum.

zagor 10-15-2012 12:19 AM

Is it too much to ask to keep the political BS away from a forum that is first and foremost intended for discussion about tennis?

Russeljones 10-15-2012 02:14 AM

I think a new {sarcasm} tooltip needs to be added to the forum to battle the 'uptightness'.

The Bawss 10-15-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6956268)
I think a new {sarcasm} tooltip needs to be added to the forum to battle the 'uptightness'.

Love it, lol.

SoBad 10-15-2012 04:05 AM

Let him keep the medal - he's got enough trouble as it is.

Mainad 10-15-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6956125)
Should the referendum on Scottish independence go the way of separation. In such an event Andy Murray would appear to have represented team GB falsely and thus should be stripped of all merit obtained.

Discuss! :twisted:

Lol...for one moment when I read this I thought: "Oh no, what terrible thing has Murray done now? What did he say? What did he do? :)

Whatever may happen to Scotland as a country in the future, it is presently still legally a part of Great Britain and that is the country Murray was representing when he won the gold medal. It reflects the reality of the situation when he won it.

Just think of all those non-Russians who represented the Soviet Union or the East Germans or Czechoslovak or Yugoslavian sports figures. Would you expect them to be retrospectively stripped of their medals because their countries no longer form part of the Soviet Union, East Germany, Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia? No, of course not because those were the countries they represented at that time and that reflected the political reality of that time.

Nice try. But this one is going nowhere! :wink:

rommil 10-15-2012 04:34 AM

Murray will be playing under the Korean flag:)


www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3ewZxrqU4

ark_28 10-15-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6956377)
Lol...for one moment when I read this I thought: "Oh no, what terrible thing has Murray done now? What did he say? What did he do? :)

Whatever may happen to Scotland as a country in the future, it is presently still legally a part of Great Britain and that is the country Murray was representing when he won the gold medal. It reflects the reality of the situation when he won it.

Just think of all those non-Russians who represented the Soviet Union or the East Germans or Czechoslovak or Yugoslavian sports figures. Would you expect them to be retrospectively stripped of their medals because their countries no longer form part of the Soviet Union, East Germany, Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia? No, of course not because those were the countries they represented at that time and that reflected the political reality of that time.

Nice try. But this one is going nowhere! :wink:

Agreed! In all seriousness though let us say Scotland do gain independence, where does "British tennis stand"? because he is as it stands the first British champion in over 70 years, will he still be classed as such or become Scotlands's first champion with Britain still looking for their first in over 70 years? As Scotland would be independent

batz 10-15-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 6956417)
Agreed! In all seriousness though let us say Scotland do gain independence, where does "British tennis stand"? because he is as it stands the first British champion in over 70 years, will he still be classed as such or become Scotlands's first champion with Britain still looking for their first in over 70 years? As Scotland would be independent

We won't. I've never been more certain about anything in my life.

tusharlovesrafa 10-15-2012 05:13 AM

Poor Britons,getting a taste of their own medicine.It's like a Karma coming in full circle.They colonized us,exploited us and took all our wealth.Sooner or later this was supposed to happen.

What's the referendum on Scottish Independence? I hope Batz and Mainad could enlighten me on this fact.

Dave M 10-15-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956434)
Poor Britons,getting a taste of their own medicine.It's like a Karma coming in full circle.They colonized us,exploited us and took all our wealth.Sooner or later this was supposed to happen.

What's the referendum on Scottish Independence? I hope Batz and Mainad could enlighten me on this fact.

Not sure Scotland leaving the UK is really the same as they were part of the UK when we turned up to help run your country. ( ;-) )
On a more serious note the second part/ your question
The PM is in Scotland to meet the first minister of Hollyoord today (i think) to sign a paper (section 30?) which allows a one question ref on independence, I believe set for around the Aug 2014 mark.At present it appears the census is that it'd be voted down to stay as part of the UK but a couple of years and lobbying who knows.
I'm English but personally I'd rather we all stayed togther (nothing to do with tennis) stronger as one and all that.
No he is British, won the US and Gold medal as such and is also Scotlands first major winner for however many years, we are still waiting for the first English, N I and Welsh ones!

Russeljones 10-15-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 6956377)
Lol...for one moment when I read this I thought: "Oh no, what terrible thing has Murray done now? What did he say? What did he do? :)

Whatever may happen to Scotland as a country in the future, it is presently still legally a part of Great Britain and that is the country Murray was representing when he won the gold medal. It reflects the reality of the situation when he won it.

Just think of all those non-Russians who represented the Soviet Union or the East Germans or Czechoslovak or Yugoslavian sports figures. Would you expect them to be retrospectively stripped of their medals because their countries no longer form part of the Soviet Union, East Germany, Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia? No, of course not because those were the countries they represented at that time and that reflected the political reality of that time.

Nice try. But this one is going nowhere! :wink:

Ahah!

But the motion to break away was underway well before the pre-emancipated Scotsman won his gold medal representing the nation whose hairy bosom nurtured him and turned him into the one-slam wonder that he is. ;)

You will have to concede that the sinister plot to steal a nation's glory is about to work to perfection. A nation waited 76 years only to see the Scottish plaid rug pulled from under its proverbial feet. Has he no shame?

Will we see a repeat of 1775 when another unruly stepchild broke away to become a patronising superpower? For a superpower Scotland will be, 1 Open Era Slam to (formerly) Great Britain's 0.

These are dark times indeed. :lol:

batz 10-15-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956434)
Poor Britons,getting a taste of their own medicine.It's like a Karma coming in full circle.They colonized us,exploited us and took all our wealth.Sooner or later this was supposed to happen.

What's the referendum on Scottish Independence? I hope Batz and Mainad could enlighten me on this fact.

Not sure I understand your question Tushy. Are you asking what an independence referendum is or di you mean to ask when?

If it's the latter then the answer is likely to be October 2014. If it's the former, it's a vote to determine whether Scotland will leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and become an independent nation.

batz 10-15-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6956448)
Ahah!

But the motion to break away was underway well before the pre-emancipated Scotsman won his gold medal representing the nation whose hairy bosom nurtured him and turned him into the one-slam wonder that he is. ;)

You will have to concede that the sinister plot to steal a nation's glory is about to work to perfection. A nation waited 76 years only to see the Scottish plaid rug pulled from under its proverbial feet. Has he no shame?

Will we see a repeat of 1775 when another unruly stepchild broke away to become a patronising superpower? For a superpower Scotland will be, 1 Open Era Slam to (formerly) Great Britain's 0.

These are dark times indeed. :lol:

+1 Very good Russel

tusharlovesrafa 10-15-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 6956497)
Not sure I understand your question Tushy. Are you asking what an independence referendum is or di you mean to ask when?

If it's the latter then the answer is likely to be October 2014. If it's the former, it's a vote to determine whether Scotland will leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and become an independent nation.

Actually I wanted to know what's the story behind their demands for secession. .What's exactly is the problem between Scotland And England(Or UK).I am totally naive when it comes to this.Always heard in news that Scotland wanted Independence,but I want to know WHY?

Sentinel 10-15-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956518)
Actually I wanted to know what's the story behind their demands for secession. .What's exactly is the problem between Scotland And England(Or UK).I am totally naive when it comes to this.Always heard in news that Scotland wanted Independence,but I want to know WHY?

Shcotland wantsh to be part of the Indian Republic, thatsh what.

Mainad 10-15-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956434)
Poor Britons,getting a taste of their own medicine.It's like a Karma coming in full circle.They colonized us,exploited us and took all our wealth.Sooner or later this was supposed to happen.

But you Indians wanted railways and cricket. Those things don't come cheap you know! :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956434)
What's the referendum on Scottish Independence? I hope Batz and Mainad could enlighten me on this fact.

It seems David Cameron (the UK prime minister) and Alex Salmond (the Scottish first minister) have just agreed on a formula for an independence referendum within the next 2 years. Apparently there will be a simple question asked to the Scots along the lines of "Do you want Scotland to stay part of the UK or do you wish for full independence?' At least this is my understanding.

My gut instinct is that full independence will be rejected but that a host of other measures granting Scotland even more autonomy over its own affairs will be agreed upon in return.

batz 10-15-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 6956518)
Actually I wanted to know what's the story behind their demands for secession. .What's exactly is the problem between Scotland And England(Or UK).I am totally naive when it comes to this.Always heard in news that Scotland wanted Independence,but I want to know WHY?

OK, no problem, I'll try and give an unjaundiced view.

Since the Act of Union over 300 years ago, there have been Scots who have wanted to return to being an independent nation. For the last 80 years or so, the Scottish National Party have had this aim as its raison d'etre. For the first 70 or so years, a vote for the SNP was a vote for independence. Over the last decade, a supremely talented politician by the name of Alex Salmond has exploited disillusionment within the electorate for the traditional Labour Party by de-coupling this historic link (between the SNP and independence), allowing many people who were previously against independence to vote SNP in elections. This gave Mr Salmond a minority government in the Scottish Parliament (a devolved parliament with limited powers). But then he won a majority in the last election (an incredible achievement as the designers of the Scottish electoral system had intended for this to be impossible) and now has enough of an electoral mandate to have a referendum (it is not technically within the gift of the Scottish Parliament and must come from Westminster - today's agreement has done that).

Polls have shown for decades that support for independence runs at between 25-35%. Mr Salmond has a real fight on his hands to convince people - but he should not be under-estimated.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse