Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   reel versus single set (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443051)

Brocolt 10-15-2012 11:04 AM

reel versus single set

How many rackets can you get out of a reel 16x 19 string pattern 100" frame. I finally found the one string I like and curious how much of a saving a reel is. Seems like you might only get one extra racket out of a reel versus a set for the price or am I mistaken

Tennishacker 10-15-2012 11:12 AM

Depends on the string you use, but if you use a reel for hybriding, then it's a better value.

Some reels come in 720'.

mikeler 10-15-2012 11:33 AM

It really comes down to how many feet your rackets require. My last two 100" frames require 39 feet. So if I have 660 feet per reel divided by 39 that comes out to about 17 string jobs. Compare that to 17 packs of the string in terms of price and you have your answer.

Woolybugger 10-15-2012 11:43 AM

off the bat the reel brings down the cost per set by about 20%, depending on manufacturer of course. Then if you're careful you measure out just the length of string you need (minimal leftover) and you can stretch 1-2 more sets out of the reel. For example, I only use 34' of Babolat Xcel so a reel saves me money.

pvaudio 10-15-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6326088)
Just a note: make sure you do the math, as not all reels are created equally. Some reels are sold in 200m, 220m, 660ft or 726ft. Here's the conversions:

200m = 656.17ft
220m = 721.78ft

While the differences are seemingly trivial, there are two points here. If you are stringing for your racquet, and your racquet alone, knowing exactly how much string you need can save you money. Instead of cutting off 40ft of string like is in a normal set, you can cut just enough which is often a few feet less. If you do not do this and simply cut 40ft every time, you likely won't save money at all over the price of individual sets. The second point is in the reel itself. Depending on its length, the price/stringjob can be very different. Many reels are priced similarly as a reel, not based on the length. More importantly, many reels are priced by set rather than priced for being a value. Here's examples:

Example: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tecn...A-X1BP16R.html

Technifibre X-1 Biphase, 660 foot reel. $250. That yields 16.5 40 foot sets. Price per set: $15.15 bucks.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tecn...FUSA-X116.html

Technifibre X-1 Biphase 40ft set. $16/set.

If you do the math, that means you end up saving a total of $14. In other words, unless you're completely committed to X-1, you're better off buying sets.

Now, here's a good example of savings:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Weis...ORY-WCMBR.html

WeissCANNON Mosquito Bite 660 foot reel. $99.90. Price per 40ft set: $6.05

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Weis...LORY-WCMB.html

WeissCANNON Mosquito Bite 40ft set. $9.95.

Now, if you do the math here, you end up saving $64.28. That's a LOT of savings. WC Black5Edge can be had in a reel and when it came out, the savings were about $98 over the initial $12/set price. That's because it was priced at $99.90 like the other WC reels. I bought that reel without even thinking about it. So you see, it really depends on your string choices as to whether or not a reel is a good investment. If you string frequently, you have nothing to lose by getting a reel. Not only that, but it's more convenient than having sets lying around. If you switch strings often or string for many people who like different strings, then having reels is not always beneficial.

As a fun fact: I bought my reel of Signum Pro Tornado from England for $79.15 ex VAT. Why? It's 200m, which I'll round to 660. Sets here in the states cost 14.69. That means that I just saved $163.24, which is less than $14 different than the reel costs to buy in America. In other words, I bought 2.23 reels of the string in the UK for the price of one in the US. Shipping was only 5.95 too. Moral: pays to look around when there's a string you really like ;)

I wrote this in a similar thread. As a rule of thumb, the French strings will yield zero savings from a reel.

Tennishacker 10-15-2012 12:24 PM

In my experience, serious juniors, college players or frequent string breakers would benefit most from a reel.

I prefer singles packets; fresher, can try other brands, don't have to worry about reel left with stringer.

pvaudio 10-15-2012 12:33 PM

I'm sorry, fresher?

mikeler 10-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6957236)
I'm sorry, fresher?

I'm guessing he means a reel takes longer to put the string into use. I hate cutting off those zip ties on packs though.

Tennishacker 10-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6957236)
I'm sorry, fresher?

I have a reel of multi from many years ago, not the same feel as a new pkg.

pvaudio 10-15-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6957278)
I'm guessing he means a reel takes longer to put the string into use. I hate cutting off those zip ties on packs though.

If you have a reel of string that you love, there is no difference whatsoever. Reason being, if you get 16 sets of string in packet form, you still can only use one set at a time. The remaining sets are still sitting there waiting to be used, and it's not like retailers throw out sets of unsold string because they're past their shelf life. That's why the comment makes no sense: you have no idea how "new" a set of strings is when you buy it, but if you buy it in reel form, then you're guaranteed to have string that is all the same age. Unless you store your strings in the steam room or on a window ledge, synthetics and poly strings aren't really affected by anything.

pvaudio 10-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6957280)
I have a reel of multi from many years ago, not the same feel as a new pkg.

Leaving a reel of string you didn't like to waste away somewhere isn't exactly the same as saying the last few sets of string on a go-to reel aren't as good as the first ones. The latter point is the one I want to make sure the OP understands: your string sets will not start losing playability as you use up your reel simply due to time.

COPEY 10-15-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6957094)
It really comes down to how many feet your rackets require. My last two 100" frames require 39 feet. So if I have 660 feet per reel divided by 39 that comes out to about 17 string jobs. Compare that to 17 packs of the string in terms of price and you have your answer.

Two-piece, Mikeler? I ask because if you were doing one-piece, a frame that size should only require about 37' at the most.

fortun8son 10-16-2012 01:55 AM

Unless you get an extra discount(e.g. Tourna), the reel gives only .5-1.5 extra sets if one is very careful with the clippers (depending on the frame).
Less for mains, more for crosses.

COPEY 10-16-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6958328)
Unless you get an extra discount(e.g. Tourna), the reel gives only .5-1.5 extra sets if one is very careful with the clippers (depending on the frame).
Less for mains, more for crosses.

Yep, but that's kind of stating the obvious based on the posts up to this point.. My question actually hinges around the word "requires" in his post. Even still, if someone says, hey, here's an extra set of string, I'll gladly take it! Especially if it's something I like. ;-)

mikeler 10-16-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6958202)
Two-piece, Mikeler? I ask because if you were doing one-piece, a frame that size should only require about 37' at the most.

I'm a two piece guy when it comes to stringing and looking at women in bathing suits.

sepidoel 10-16-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6958485)
I'm a two piece guy when it comes to stringing and looking at women in bathing suits.

Have you ever done both simultaneously? :P

COPEY 10-16-2012 06:37 AM

LOL gotcha.

mikeler 10-16-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepidoel (Post 6958535)
Have you ever done both simultaneously? :P

Only when my wife is shopping.

pvaudio 10-16-2012 07:57 AM

:lol: This thread has taken possibly the most unexpected and hilarious turn yet this year. Nice work Dr. Mike

Litespeeds 10-16-2012 08:37 AM

There is less recoil memory when using strings from a reel.

I use 35' of string for a one piece string job on a 16x19 100 sq.in. frame. If this is all you use, you can possibly get 2 more string jobs from a 660' reel.