Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to play for money? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443116)

zapvor 10-15-2012 09:51 PM

How to play for money?

This is kinda tough one for me. Last week I played a guy for the first time, and crushed him. 6-1 6-0. he wanted to play 3rd set so i let him win it 6-2. the problem is, the first 2 sets i was trying about 40%. i did not hit a single first serve, and was coming to net a lot goofing around. so i am pretty much way better than him. he did use a demo for that match though.

we played again few days ago, this time he brought his regular sticks. again, i took it fairly easy, but i got down 3-5 first set when i decided to try to turn it around. but to my surprise, i couldnt! so he beat me. 2nd set i was up 4-1 when he came back again to 4-4 before i pulled out 6-4.

now here is the thing-both times he's paying me to play. we are supposed to play again. how should i go about this?

-go 100% and crush him,
-do the same as i have been the last 2x and see what happens.

Larrysümmers 10-15-2012 09:53 PM

whys he paying you

zapvor 10-15-2012 09:54 PM

something like he wants to know he can play a match at a certain day and time (hes only been playing for a few years and prefers to play out sets for his 'lesson', even though i am not teaching him at all, just playing with him)

Larrysümmers 10-15-2012 09:57 PM

why dont you gamble on it? spice things up

zapvor 10-15-2012 09:59 PM

its not like that. he just likes to play for fun

Larrysümmers 10-15-2012 10:22 PM

so he just pays you to make sure that he has someone to play with at 3pm. basically a paid sparring partner?
i would say use this time to work on something, drop shots, serveVolley, etc. keep it interested for him, and for you.

zapvor 10-15-2012 10:28 PM

yea kind of like a hitting partner. i am sorry i wasnt clear before. the problem is he expects to get something out of it each time we hit (he wants to improve) so i cant really use the time to practice for myself. by the same token he already took a set off me, so what do i have to offer when we keep playing? haha

SFrazeur 10-15-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 6958139)
This is kinda tough one for me. Last week I played a guy for the first time, and crushed him. 6-1 6-0. he wanted to play 3rd set so i let him win it 6-2. the problem is, the first 2 sets i was trying about 40%. i did not hit a single first serve, and was coming to net a lot goofing around. so i am pretty much way better than him. he did use a demo for that match though.

we played again few days ago, this time he brought his regular sticks. again, i took it fairly easy, but i got down 3-5 first set when i decided to try to turn it around. but to my surprise, i couldnt! so he beat me. 2nd set i was up 4-1 when he came back again to 4-4 before i pulled out 6-4.

now here is the thing-both times he's paying me to play. we are supposed to play again. how should i go about this?

-go 100% and crush him,
-do the same as i have been the last 2x and see what happens.

Suggestion:
Never "let" a player win a set or a match. He's paying you for a realistic match play experience. You could easily be giving him a false sense of security in a bad playing pattern or broken stroke. It's basically lying to him. There are things you can do to make it "competitive" for him: once he reaches an appropriate number of groundstrokes for his level then he wins that point. Or he wins the point once completing a certain tactic.

-SF

TheCheese 10-16-2012 11:32 AM

You could always try working on things you don't normally work on. So, maybe work on winning points with the backhand rather than forehand. Try chipping and charging. Try some drop shots.

LeeD 10-16-2012 12:08 PM

Post 8 nailed it.
You owe itg to him and YOURSELF to play your best tennis, whether you're working on your own game or not.
If you play lazy, you will play lazy against other players.
If you hustle and try, that will happen in match's against other players.
Since you guys now basically split, you should crush him the next 10 sets so he knows he's paying money for a good cause.

TennisA 10-16-2012 03:19 PM

I'd just straight up ask him how he wants you to play. Does he want you to go 100%? Or does he just want you to give him a challenge, allowing him to work on his game during the match?

5263 10-16-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 6959051)
You could always try working on things you don't normally work on. So, maybe work on winning points with the backhand rather than forehand. Try chipping and charging. Try some drop shots.

I think this is good in conjunction with post #11 which is how I do things. I prefer
to avoid misunderstanding to the best extent. Still no reason I can't work on
things like above though...especially if I keep winning.

LeeD 10-16-2012 06:36 PM

That's providing OP has established a winning percentage against the guy who pays him. He has not, not yet.

UCSF2012 10-16-2012 06:59 PM

You're whoring yourself out for tennis. Could be worse. Give him his money's worth, and make sure he comes back for more.

zapvor 10-16-2012 07:18 PM

thanks for the suggestions

so this guy doesnt mind losing at all. he wants to play better players and improve. winning is not a priority for him which is very smart. he was tossing his racket after numerous points which threw me off a little. i guess i will play better next time. i was trying some shots i normally wouldnt do. i hit a lot of returns down the line to begin the point when i could.

Long Face 10-16-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6959888)
You're whoring yourself out for tennis. Could be worse. Give him his money's worth, and make sure he comes back for more.

:shock: Sounds like somebody who knows the business well...

If I were the OP I would go 100%, but would practice some some lower percentage strokes I normally don't do in "important" matches, or hit where I am usually not comfortable. If I am losing, I try to come back with the game I am best at.

And matches like this are great for practising your serve placements.

LeeD 10-16-2012 07:36 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zapvor's winning percentage so far is EVEN?
Better establish a 4-1 set winning percentage before going fancy with trick shots and stuff he can't do.

zapvor 10-16-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Face (Post 6959950)
:shock: Sounds like somebody who knows the business well...

If I were the OP I would go 100%, but would practice some some lower percentage strokes I normally don't do in "important" matches, or hit where I am usually not comfortable. If I am losing, I try to come back with the game I am best at.

And matches like this are great for practising your serve placements.

good point. i was just trying to get every serve in, not placing it. maybe i will do that more as i play with him so he can get different serves to look at as well.

zapvor 10-16-2012 08:24 PM

Lee just stay out of it. you are not even reading what i wrote

LeeD 10-16-2012 08:35 PM

So far, we get you think you are far superior, but your set scores are about 3-3 in the two times you hit.
That's what you posted.