Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Boca Hp?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443134)

ga tennis 10-16-2012 04:10 AM

Boca Hp??

ga tennis 10-16-2012 04:17 AM

Soianka 10-16-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6958449)
I would still take her to her real coach twice a month.

I imagine they probably wouldnt want you to do that

ga tennis 10-16-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6958459)
I imagine they probably wouldnt want you to do that

floridatennisdude 10-16-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6958475)
They wont have to know. :)

It's a bad idea to enter a relationship already planning how to cheat on the other party.

General life advice.

floridatennisdude 10-16-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6958443)
If the USTA offered to let your child come and train for free would you let them go? I would have to say yes because of financial reasons. I would rather train full time with my daughters coach but financially my wife and i could not afford it. I know people talk bad about player development but if your child was given the chance to train there and everything was free would you say no?

I'd take it in a heartbeat. Give it 6 months and evaluate. Can't imagine being in a pool of the most talented players would be anything less than beneficial.

That being said, you have to know your kid. Are they open minded enough to change coaches? Will they be home sick? Are they good being a small fish in a big pond? Etc.

coaching32yrs 10-16-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6958514)
I'd take it in a heartbeat. Give it 6 months and evaluate. Can't imagine being in a pool of the most talented players would be anything less than beneficial.

That being said, you have to know your kid. Are they open minded enough to change coaches? Will they be home sick? Are they good being a small fish in a big pond? Etc.

Compared to top level schools the education they receive at USTA HP is dramatically inferior starting in 8th grade. Before that it may be OK. Kids at top high and middle schools are putting in solid 8 hours a day of high level instruction with top teachers and quality study time (subtracted out lunch, study halls, home room, etc). AP US History alone kids spend average of 2 hours a day. USTA HP kids average 3 hours a day combined study and class time. Just not enough time to learn 5 honors and/or AP classes like Pre-Calc, AP English, Lab science etc.

SoCal10s 10-16-2012 06:41 AM

if your kid is good enough for a free ride from USTA ,why don't you proposition IMG or Macci for a free ride ? that's what I would try to do ..

SoCal10s 10-16-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958622)

Another reason why I home school and we are teaching practical things like how to run a business, how to invest, how to plant a garden, how to read body language and relate to people, etc.

you can go to ''Scientology'' for all that ... just kidding.. :)

barringer97 10-16-2012 06:52 AM

Florida is too far away. Maybe LA, but I think I would say no. My wife would definitely say no.

barringer97 10-16-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

But not many of these parents and kids at that level are thinking about anything but what it means for their tennis.

By the way....think about what you said....2 hours a day for AP US history? How will any student ever utilize that in any way, shape, or form?

Another reason why I home school and we are teaching practical things like how to run a business, how to invest, how to plant a garden, how to read body language and relate to people, etc.

How to relate to people by home schooling? C'mon man.

ga tennis 10-16-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

But not many of these parents and kids at that level are thinking about anything but what it means for their tennis.

By the way....think about what you said....2 hours a day for AP US history? How will any student ever utilize that in any way, shape, or form?

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958651)
Excuse me? Sending kids to a school 30 to a class, regimented, only see same kids all day, cliches from age 8.

Or travel with them, volunteer with various groups, lead community projects, deal with seniors, middle age and kids, still play basketball and soccer in a league, etc.

Ever see the average kid today? Head stuck into their smart phone....try making eye contact with your buddies 12 year old....try talking to them.

Do not pigeon hole home schooled kids as anti social......many, many of them blow away traditional kids in human relations.

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6958512)
It's a bad idea to enter a relationship already planning how to cheat on the other party.

General life advice.

barringer97 10-16-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Excuse me? Sending kids to a school 30 to a class, regimented, only see same kids all day, cliches from age 8.

You learn a lot from that.

Quote:

Or travel with them, volunteer with various groups, lead community projects, deal with seniors, middle age and kids, still play basketball and soccer in a league, etc.

Ever see the average kid today? Head stuck into their smart phone....try making eye contact with your buddies 12 year old....try talking to them.

Do not pigeon hole home schooled kids as anti social......many, many of them blow away traditional kids in human relations.

Nothing to do with home schooling, you can do all of that if your kid goes to a basic public school.

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958665)
I can only speak for us. Our family for 4 generations have been entrepreneurs. I think most college courses these days are a total waste and kids come out still unprepared.

So sure, for the traditional path you must tow the line...AP this and that. My girl will likely be running her own business some day, like the rest of the family.

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:16 AM

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958683)
Dude....my first line said "I can only speak for us"...... that pretty much says it all....to me they were a waste.

I hated college, I hated high school. I started my first business, a mail order deal, in dad's basement at age 12. I spent my entire high school and college years praying for them to end so I could go into business. But mom wanted us to go to college so I did.

I hated high school with a passion,BUT I LOVED college. Im not saying anything is wrong with the way you feel im just sharing with you how i feel about it.

jigglypuff 10-16-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958683)
Dude....my first line said "I can only speak for us"...... that pretty much says it all....to me they were a waste.

I hated college, I hated high school. I started my first business, a mail order deal, in dad's basement at age 12. I spent my entire high school and college years praying for them to end so I could go into business. But mom wanted us to go to college so I did.

You are one strange guy... those were the highlights of my life. Only people I knew who hated it were the antisocial ones... the bullied ones.. or the ones that were flunking.

Whether I learned something or not was another matter.

ga tennis 10-16-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6958711)
She has pretended to run stores with her stuffed animals since she was 4 years old. Perhaps entrepreneurs run in families. She is not a sit down learner, yet is very smart. Unless we fill her full of Ritalin, she is not going to be a traditional school type of kid.