Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Question for Wilson PS 6.0 85 Re-issue Sampras (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443147)

lendlmac 10-16-2012 08:43 AM

Question for Wilson PS 6.0 85 Re-issue Sampras

Hi everyone,

real quick, just wondered, of those here who have the re-issue Wilson PS 6.0 85 Sampras, who has added lead tape to this frame? and why?

Does it play fine free of lead tape? or, have folks placed their lead tape ala Pete Sampras at 3 and 9, or ala Federer at 12 (11-1)?

I ask because I see Sampras always had his at 3-9, for stability, correct? 3 layers on each side....but I never saw any lead tape placement anywhere else, yet, Federer, uses lead tape at 12, for his own model, also three layers...

Is the PS 6.0 85 stable as is, so no lead tape needed? just curious who here puts lead tape on their PS 85, and why...

thanks. Oh, mine is strung with natural gut at 48lbs.... i love it and it feels great and wanted to tinker with lead tape for this frame, but didn't know who here, places their lead tape for this particular racquet......I know it will feel and play differently with lead tape, but this frame only, who has lead tape at 3-9 versus 12....

thanks!! :)

Bowtiesarecool 10-16-2012 09:38 AM

The PS85 plays extremely well in stock form as long as you have the right technique and a good string setup that you like.

In stock form, it's best for serve and volleyers with a relatively high tension, (Let's say 55# and up).

For the modern spin game one would want the weight distributed more to the ends of a racquet, and generally a lower string tension, (less than 50#). Of the four PS85s I own, two are setup for spin. What I did was replace the leather grip wth a synthetic wilson that was 10g lighter, then ran 1/4" tape (both sides) around the top of the frame from perimiter weight to perimiter weight, (came out to be 7g) and added two 3g fishing weights inside the butcap. Taping the top of the hoop in this manner not only makes it easier to generate spin, but also moves the center of mass up which increases power. I have one with a full bed of MSV Focus Hex at 42 and the other with Prince Premier Attack mains at 47 with Signum Pro Poly Plasma crosses at 45.

The other two Prostaffs I own are setup for serve and volley, just a little heavier than stock because I like my racquets around the 13oz range for this style of play. Keeping the leather grip, I added two layers of 1/4" tape, 3 inches long, under the grommet at 3 and 9, plus 4g of lead under the grip, 6 1/2" from the end of the handle. I have one strung with full gut at 60lbs, and one with Prince Premiere Attack at 60lbs for when it gets a little wet outside.

lendlmac 10-16-2012 11:21 AM

Thanks!

Dunlop MAx 200Gs - I currently have 6 Dunlop MAx 200G, a few I tried with lead tape on the sides and some on the top of the hoop, but in the end, I removed all the lead tape from the 200Gs as they don't need any lead tape at all, and they all play beautifully...so my Max 200Gs are lead tape free, each strung at 48 lbs. natural gut

Lendl Adidas GTX Pro T - I also play with two (2) Lendl Adidas GTX Pro T, with no lead tape, but tried as well on all areas, and it felt sluggish or flat...so removed the lead tape on those as well and those are strung at 55lbs with natural gut... and it has lots of power and very flexible...

Wilson PS 6.0 85 - my only Wilson PS 6.0 85, is 48 lbs., and it plays great! I was wondering if I added weight to the 3 and 9 area, if the racquet would not feel "lively" as opposed to not having any... since it's a brand new racqet for me, was just wondering if lead tape felt better at 12 as opposed to 3 and 9..

btw: how many layers do you have yours at 3 and 9? I saw sampras photos of his, and his layering is pretty thick, at least two layers on all four sides, but I think I see 3 layers on all four sides...

I will have to get some lead tape tonight and try it out...your method... I was going to add lead anyways to sample it, just wondered what the consensus was here for 3 and 9 versus 12 o'clock and the layering...

thanks! will post photos If I could.. LOL :)

Bowtiesarecool 10-16-2012 04:34 PM

3 and 9 will make the torsional stability higher while slightly increasing swingweight. Lead at 12 will increase the swingweight the most efficienty and aid in spin generation but not torsional stability. The PS85 doesn't need any help with stability but more is always better in that regard. As far as "livelyness" is concerned, nothing i've done to mine have diminished the awesomeness of the racquet.

BreakPoint 10-16-2012 05:39 PM

No lead tape on mine. Plays great as is stock. Very stable already in stock form. :)

Sander001 10-16-2012 07:28 PM

Hate to be "that guy" but Sampras never used the 6.0.
ProStaff Midsize 85 ≠ ProStaff 6.0 85.

I find them to be similar racquets, but distinct in significant ways, enough so that the different designations are justified.

hrstrat57 10-16-2012 07:48 PM

I have 2 PS 85's left, a St. Vincent and a China....I have about 4" of lead at 3/9 one layer only on each. Experimentation lead to determine this was best for me. Normally strung at 60# with gut, currently both recently strung with NXT tour. No overgrip Fairway only all the way!

100% agree on 200G never a drop of lead needed....play brilliantly right out of the box at 50# with gut.

Haven't had the pleasure of a hit with the new PS 85 yet....

sureshs 10-16-2012 08:28 PM

Problem with the PS 85 is that once you get used to it, you cannot play with anything else. I tried the PK Redondo 93 and the BLX 6.1 90 and even they don't come close.

Bowtiesarecool 10-16-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6960016)
Problem with the PS 85 is that once you get used to it, you cannot play with anything else. I tried the PK Redondo 93 and the BLX 6.1 90 and even they don't come close.

I'm in agreement here. I also demod the 6.1 90, Vcore 89, the current Prestige mid, Prince OG mid, as well as the Dunlop 4D 100, and while they're great sticks, There's just something about the 85 that everything else lacks.

NLBwell 10-16-2012 08:46 PM

Played my PS 85 stock for many years.

Went to ProTour280 which is a different type of player's frame and was happy with that. Now playing with Microgel Prestige Pro with some weight added after my 280's died.

lendlmac 10-17-2012 07:56 AM

Great posts!

Do folks here who play it stock, do you have plow through? Cause sampras at us open in 1990 was crushing agassi with heavy deep balls and serves yet he learly had leadtape at 3 and 9 and wanted to know anout plow through to push your oppponents back and deep

Edberg and courier had no leadtape and did not exactly blow by people and sampras with leadtape did....?

effortless 10-17-2012 07:03 PM

For me the ps 6.0 85 (stock) is the epitome of plow through. I think it is because of the small head. In my opinion this racquet favours a low and deep trajectory. If you have a relatively linear motion on your groundies you will get plenty of plow through in stock. Obviously more lead on the head will give you even more plow through if thats what you want.

Seth 10-17-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effortless (Post 6961716)
For me the ps 6.0 85 (stock) is the epitome of plow through. I think it is because of the small head. In my opinion this racquet favours a low and deep trajectory. If you have a relatively linear motion on your groundies you will get plenty of plow through in stock. Obviously more lead on the head will give you even more plow through if thats what you want.

Exactly. I had a hit with one of the Chinese versions tonight. Effortless plow through. It seemed almost difficult to hit the ball short.

jorel 10-18-2012 06:51 AM

i honestly do appreciate the reissue but i dont know why people dont just use the original wilson sting mid...
fraction of the cost and imo a better hit...they even have a couple with the PWS bumps

NLBwell 10-18-2012 02:52 PM

I had a Sting. Never liked it and gave it away. Didn't think it was even a good backup racket for the Pro Staff. (However, the guy I gave it to liked it.)

sureshs 10-18-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowtiesarecool (Post 6960029)
I'm in agreement here. I also demod the 6.1 90, Vcore 89, the current Prestige mid, Prince OG mid, as well as the Dunlop 4D 100, and while they're great sticks, There's just something about the 85 that everything else lacks.

The PS 85 is not a competitive racket anymore, though. In a perverse twist, it is suitable for club players but not for juniors, college players or pros. I think the small head and lower SW of the PS 85 will be problems for returning serves, and if only for that, it cannot be used at higher levels. Next up, it will be a liability when facing heavy topspin because the small head permits little margin for error. That is why Federer ditched this frame.

effortless 10-18-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6963072)
The PS 85 is not a competitive racket anymore, though. In a perverse twist, it is suitable for club players but not for juniors, college players or pros. I think the small head and lower SW of the PS 85 will be problems for returning serves, and if only for that, it cannot be used at higher levels. Next up, it will be a liability when facing heavy topspin because the small head permits little margin for error. That is why Federer ditched this frame.

Surely if you have used both the tour 90 and ps 85 you know that there is very little difference between the two. In my opinion, if the ps 6.0 85 is out dated so is the tour 90. I used the tour 90 for several years and then bought a ps 85 re issue just for fun and was amazed at how good it is. It is just as modern as the tour 90. You have to play a tiny bit more aggressive because its slightly better for hitting winners but slightly worse for baseline rallies.

The tour 90 was just Federer's personal preference.

sureshs 10-18-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effortless (Post 6963143)
Surely if you have used both the tour 90 and ps 85 you know that there is very little difference between the two. In my opinion, if the ps 6.0 85 is out dated so is the tour 90. I used the tour 90 for several years and then bought a ps 85 re issue just for fun and was amazed at how good it is. It is just as modern as the tour 90. You have to play a tiny bit more aggressive because its slightly better for hitting winners but slightly worse for baseline rallies.

The tour 90 was just Federer's personal preference.

I recently demoed the BLX 90 and it seemed to have much more margin for error. I am sure Federer could not have achieved what he has with the PS 85.

The PS 85 is just not competitive today at higher levels. Not a single pro, college player or junior is using it.

effortless 10-18-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6963180)
I recently demoed the BLX 90 and it seemed to have much more margin for error. I am sure Federer could not have achieved what he has with the PS 85.

The PS 85 is just not competitive today at higher levels. Not a single pro, college player or junior is using it.

each to their own.

Just food for thought. Do you think more people would be using the ps 6.0 85 if it never went out of production. Do you think more people will start using the ps 6.0 85 now that its available? Seems like everyone is talking about it on these boards.

sureshs 10-18-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effortless (Post 6963191)
each to their own.

Just food for thought. Do you think more people would be using the ps 6.0 85 if it never went out of production. Do you think more people will start using the ps 6.0 85 now that its available? Seems like everyone is talking about it on these boards.

Not one guy I know or have heard of has purchased the PS 85. I have purchased 4 of them and stored 2 of them away for safety.

The PS 85 is not only not competitive, it is also not a suitable racket for someone who is learning tennis and wants to go beyond the 4.5 level. It is meant for a certain style of play which is no more, even though it produces a decent amount of spin.