Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My son is laying the smack down (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443268)

arche3 10-17-2012 06:46 AM

My son is laying the smack down

My 11 year old son is now laying the smack down to all his usta playing 6 days a week academy coached friends.... lol. He is coached by me. 2-3 days of tennis per week. 5'5" 145lbs. One day tennis per week during football season.

His academy friends are shell shocked. I'm ecstatic. Since this past summer destroying the other kids and the adults at my club. He won't be a pro he is not that good but his game is coming along very well. It's classic to see grown men get destroyed by an 11 year old kid.... love tennis. :) just thought I'd share. Ha! I feel like brad!

WARPWOODIE 10-17-2012 07:37 AM

Don't you hate that you have to fork over $$$$ when you know as much or more than the other coach.

ga tennis 10-17-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960635)
Good for him! Great to hear he is playing against a variety of ages.

My daughter 'fired' me yesterday! She sat me down and said she was "bored with my voice" after all the years I have coached her.

So today she is being turned over 100% to a great coach at our club. I promised to mind my business and read a book. Honestly, at first I was a little bummed, but woke up today feeling she made the best decision for both of us.

ga tennis 10-17-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARPWOODIE (Post 6960705)
Don't you hate that you have to fork over $$$$ when you know as much or more than the other coach.

arche3 10-17-2012 08:24 AM

I'm also getting a great tennis practice partner out of it. As long as my kid will still play with me as he gets better than me.

jigglypuff 10-17-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6960622)
My 11 year old son is now laying the smack down to all his usta playing 6 days a week academy coached friends.... lol. He is coached by me. 2-3 days of tennis per week. 5'5" 145lbs. One day tennis per week during football season.

His academy friends are shell shocked. I'm ecstatic. Since this past summer destroying the other kids and the adults at my club. He won't be a pro he is not that good but his game is coming along very well. It's classic to see grown men get destroyed by an 11 year old kid.... love tennis. :) just thought I'd share. Ha! I feel like brad!

That's cool... 2-3 days of serious tennis is better than 5-6 days of fool around tennis playdates.

jigglypuff 10-17-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960635)
Good for him! Great to hear he is playing against a variety of ages.

My daughter 'fired' me yesterday! She sat me down and said she was "bored with my voice" after all the years I have coached her.

So today she is being turned over 100% to a great coach at our club. I promised to mind my business and read a book. Honestly, at first I was a little bummed, but woke up today feeling she made the best decision for both of us.

That's a shame... you must have been doing a pretty shoddy parenting/coaching job. She is only 8 yrs old, homeschooled (no outside influence) and is tuning you out already? Maybe 10 and up... but 8? I'm not knocking you but what decent coach sends their kid for outside help at 8.

jigglypuff 10-17-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960826)
We started quite early with tennis. I am also the home school teacher, her team's basketball coach, in addition to her former tennis coach....I would get tired of me by now also.

Nothing wrong with that... just feel that the money could be spent better somewhere else.

Unless you're not telling us something... that's she's getting the training for free?

ga tennis 10-17-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960826)
We started quite early with tennis. I am also the home school teacher, her team's basketball coach, in addition to her former tennis coach....I would get tired of me by now also.

ga tennis 10-17-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960852)
We will barter a little, I can teach some of the coaches students. The other coach works with me. She was a former D-1 player and I gave her most of her coaching training.

So old daddy still has some tricks up his sleeve. She will still learn the things I want her to learn, from somebody I know teaches the same techniques....but with another, less boring, voice.

arche3 10-17-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6960927)
Ha, that is always the kicker arche. When they get better than you and have to start taking it easy on you!

Whats the dynamic like with the academy parents now that your son is beating theirs?

Well some of them are cool. But a couple parents had their kid go to a different coach now. They always bragged about how this place is one of the only usta high performance centers in the area. Blah blah the usual.
This past Sunday one of the kids had a melt down and broke his racket and started crying. He is 11 as well. He missed 3 fhs in a row and lost it. Was saying he has a practice match later so this match with my son doesn't count. While my kid was blasting balls and basically having fun. The other kids dad had to stop the match because the kid was so distraught. My son would never get upset over a tennis match.

I always told my kid to play and hit your balls. no pushing. They will one day all go in. The academy kids all hit the same ball. A moderately paced top spin ball. It just so happens to bounce right into my sons wheelhouse and he just crushes it. Over and over. Hitting on the rise and driving the ball down into the court. His fh is actually harder than mine now. He hits with a straight arm and I have a slight bend. So he gets a lot of leverage. With sidespin even lol. Its really developed into a weapon. I certainly think my kid can play tennis for a college team when the time comes. But he is more into football now.

ga tennis 10-17-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6961009)
Well some of them are cool. But a couple parents had their kid go to a different coach now. They always bragged about how this place is one of the only usta high performance centers in the area. Blah blah the usual.
This past Sunday one of the kids had a melt down and broke his racket and started crying. He is 11 as well. He missed 3 fhs in a row and lost it. Was saying he has a practice match later so this match with my son doesn't count. While my kid was blasting balls and basically having fun. The other kids dad had to stop the match because the kid was so distraught. My son would never get upset over a tennis match.

I always told my kid to play and hit your balls. no pushing. They will one day all go in. The academy kids all hit the same ball. A moderately paced top spin ball. It just so happens to bounce right into my sons wheelhouse and he just crushes it. Over and over. Hitting on the rise and driving the ball down into the court. His fh is actually harder than mine now. He hits with a straight arm and I have a slight bend. So he gets a lot of leverage. With sidespin even lol. Its really developed into a weapon. I certainly think my kid can play tennis for a college team when the time comes. But he is more into football now.

10ismom 10-17-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6961009)

I always told my kid to play and hit your balls. no pushing. They will one day all go in. The academy kids all hit the same ball. A moderately paced top spin ball. It just so happens to bounce right into my! sons wheelhouse and he just crushes it. Over and over. Hitting on the rise and driving the ball down into the court. His fh is actually harder than mine now. He hits with a straight arm and I have a slight bend. So he gets a lot of leverage. With sidespin even lol. Its really developed into a weapon. I certainly think my kid can play tennis for a college team when the time comes. But he is more into football now.

Hey Arche.......it's great that your son is doing great at 11 having you teaching him. He crushes balls now. Is part of it because he is really big and strong for his age? 5' 5'', 145 lbs at 11 is over 99th percentile for wt and height on growth chart. He sounds like he has a football player built!! How's the other kids' sizes compared to him?

We have this one really good boy at my daughter's academy. He has been really big and strong. One time when he checked in to play a 14s age group tourney, the TD wanted to card him. He believed he was 18 then, lol.

ga tennis 10-17-2012 10:48 AM

10ismom 10-17-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6961047)
Wow he is big.My daughter is 4 ft 11 inches and 110 pounds and shes stronger than any 10 year old out there.

Yes, she's good size too. Good advantage.

arche3 10-17-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 6961031)
Hey Arche.......it's great that your son is doing great at 11 having you teaching him. He crushes balls now. Is part of it because he is really big and strong for his age? 5' 5'', 145 lbs at 11 is over 99th percentile for wt and height on growth chart. He sounds like he has a football player built!! How's the other kids' sizes compared to him?

We have this one really good boy at my daughter's academy. He has been really big and strong. One time when he checked in to play a 14s age group tourney, the TD wanted to card him. He believed he was 18 then, lol.

Yeah he is a lot bigger than his tennis friends. he is built like a football player for sure. Most of the other kids are around or under 5'. 85lbs?

LeeD 10-17-2012 11:54 AM

Heck, you got a monster!
In 8th grade, I was 4'9" and 72 lbs., playing 90's exponent basketball and longjumping in the spring. In 10th grade, I STARTED both ways in JV football at 5'1" and, ..... ehem, 101 lbs. Rule you had to weigh over 100 for football in those days.
One of my ex girlfriends has pictures of herself in 5th grade at 5'7" and 140 lbs. :shock::shock:
Ingrid Shutter was 6' tall in 5th grade. When I saw her 45 years later, she was exactly my height. Ended up she slouch's, wore flats, and me in my contruction work boots with arch supports.

BMC9670 10-17-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6961148)
Heck, you got a monster!
In 8th grade, I was 4'9" and 72 lbs., playing 90's exponent basketball

What the heck is 90's exponent basketball??? A modified version for short kids?

sureshs 10-17-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6961148)
In 8th grade, I was 4'9" and 72 lbs

How do even remember such stuff? Or do you just make it up? That was like a 100 years ago.

arche3 10-17-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 6961164)
What the heck is 90's exponent basketball??? A modified version for short kids?

Ball for midgets? :p
But only midgets that can throw a football 100 yards.