Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   dunlop biomimetic f300 tour vs. biomimetic 300 tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443296)

tom4ny 10-17-2012 11:34 AM

dunlop biomimetic f300 tour vs. biomimetic 300 tour

received my new f300 tour today and will take it out tonight for play testing.

i switched to the bio 300 tour last year and thoroughly enjoy this frame which is perfectly suited for my game. i am a 4.5 all court player with relatively flat strokes and a one handed backhand. the bio 300 tour does everything well for me. from ground strokes to volleys to flat first serves, i get the pace and precision that i want from this solid frame. i do have 3 grams of lead tape running from 11:00-1:00 along the upper hoop and have replaced the gecko grip with head's hydrosorb grip.

my new f300 tour is also strung with kirshbaum pro line II at 55/52. i will play this frame in stock form tonight with the original dunlop grip, and follow up with my initial thoughts and a comparison of the two frames. i do not plan on switching frames at this time.

GenesisTurbo 10-17-2012 04:48 PM

i have just switched to the Bio 300 Tour
what strings do you recommend? i pretty much have the same style of play as you.

tom4ny 10-17-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenesisTurbo (Post 6961607)
i have just switched to the Bio 300 Tour
what strings do you recommend? i pretty much have the same style of play as you.

your current string choice seems like a good one to me. i like a softer poly and play with a full bed of pro line II but i definitely suggest a 17g string. 2 multi's i like in this frame are isospeed professional classic and isospeed energetic 17. i also drop the cross tension by 3#'s.

hoodjem 10-17-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom4ny (Post 6961120)
received my new f300 tour today and will take it out tonight for play testing.

i switched to the bio 300 tour last year and thoroughly enjoy this frame which is perfectly suited for my game. i am a 4.5 all court player with relatively flat strokes and a one handed backhand. the bio 300 tour does everything well for me. from ground strokes to volleys to flat first serves, i get the pace and precision that i want from this solid frame. i do have 3 grams of lead tape running from 11:00-1:00 along the upper hoop and have replaced the gecko grip with head's hydrosorb grip.

my new f300 tour is also strung with kirshbaum pro line II at 55/52. i will play this frame in stock form tonight with the original dunlop grip, and follow up with my initial thoughts and a comparison of the two frames. i do not plan on switching frames at this time.

Can you get much spin out of either racquet?

I really like the specs for these racquets, but both are 18X20 and I cannot get much spin off of that denser string-bed pattern.

I wish they made the same racquet in 16X18 or 16X19.

tom4ny 10-17-2012 05:46 PM

initial impressions on the new f300 tour is that dunlop has created a crisper and snappier 300 tour. they also fixed the issues with the prior version by making a more solid upper hoop and a larger sweetspot. spin generation is also improved. the frame is solid like the prior version and swings fast through the air. the grip is longer so those with 2 handed backhands will be pleased. the frame is also a comfortable hit. you get decent ball feel and good shock absorption.

the new f300 tour volleys like a dream and improves on the prior version. groundstrokes were very good also with a higher trajectory than shots hit with my regular bio 300 tour. forehands were great but i prefer the regular bio 30 tour for my one handed backhand. i also prefer serving with my regular bio 300 tour but could get more spin and kick with the f 300 tour.

i think that the prior version has better ball pocketing and even a bit more power when you hit the center of the racquet. the new version is definitely more lively feeling and has more power in the upper third of the frame.

oh, the new gecko grip is much improved. i didnt like the old version at all but this one feels much better.

next week i will be hitting with my regular hitting partner who is a 5.5 so i will be able to get a much better assessment of how i play with this new version when under pressure or on the defensive. i will also be better able to compare service returns but both frames feel solid in this area.

both are control frames but i get better angles with my old bio 300 tour. windshield wiper forehands are fun with both frames though.

i also may polarize the new frame and add a little lead up top. it may help with serves where the older bio 300 tour just worked better for me tonight.

tom4ny 10-17-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6961671)
Can you get much spin out of either racquet?

I really like the specs for these racquets, but both are 18X20 and I cannot get much spin off of that denser string-bed pattern.

with a full bed of 17g poly i get pretty good spin generation. the new f300 tour gets excellent spin with this set up. it will not be the spin monster that a 16x18 gets you but it is not bad at all with the new f300 version. when i use my isospeed multi set up i do not get the spin generation i get with my kirshbaum pro line II set up but the control for flat ball hitting is still great and i love the "pop" sound that I get with the isospeed set up.

that reminds me - the new f300 tour does hanve more of a "ping" sound than the older version. not annoying or loud but definitely more metallic sounding then the regular bio 300 tour.

tom4ny 10-18-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom4ny (Post 6961654)
your current string choice seems like a good one to me. i like a softer poly and play with a full bed of pro line II but i definitely suggest a 17g string. 2 multi's i like in this frame are isospeed professional classic and isospeed energetic 17. i also drop the cross tension by 3#'s.

i failed to mention kirsbaum pro line x which is a little livelier and even more spin then pro line II. they say it also has better longevity but i cannot speak to that aspect yet.

next on deck for me is kirshbaum spiky shark 17 which i suspect will be more spin friendly but crisper than what i prefer.

robbo1970 10-18-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6961671)

A Bio Max200G isnt far off the same spec. Just a thought if you like 16x19.

GenesisTurbo 10-18-2012 08:30 AM

tom4ny TW is having a deal on Spiky Shark $24 for 4 sets, that's $6 a set...
That's an unbeatable price i might go and pick up 4 sets myself.

tom4ny 10-18-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenesisTurbo (Post 6962444)
tom4ny TW is having a deal on Spiky Shark $24 for 4 sets, that's $6 a set...
That's an unbeatable price i might go and pick up 4 sets myself.

that is a great deal and given your current set up, this may be a good one for you to try. i have not played with spiky shark yet but i know from others that it plays firmer than pro line II and X which i have played. kirshbaum makes some really nice strings. i like their multi and hybrid offerings as well but i really like the low power and softness of the pro line II series. if you want a crisper string with monster spin then spiky shark is better. i would still go with the 17g though.

GenesisTurbo 10-18-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks for the reply back tom4ny

tom4ny 10-19-2012 02:36 AM

the new bio f300 tour is a fast swinging racquet with a lively crisp stringbed. the ball comes off of the string bed quickly and you get easier power than the previous bio 300 tour but i am not convinced that the overall power level is better. it is definitely a melding of a babolat aero pro drive into a comfortable dunlop like package. the dimples on the new aero skin are different but it is very head light balance that allows one to swing this frame fast. spin generation is definitely better and the upper hoop "dead" feel is fixed from the earlier version. the other are where i see an immediate improvement is on volleys. the old bio 300 tour is good at volleys too, especially with lead added, but the new f300 is awesome even without lead.

i definitely feel more flex in the frame and better ball dwell time with the previous bio 300 tour. control is slightly better with the old version too but both frames are control rackets. both frames are solid and can handle heavy hitting. i am hitting a slightly heavier flatter ball with the bio 300 tour and get some better angles. the new f300 tour allows me to swing out with confidence and keep the ball in play even though the trajectory of my shots is higher than the bio 300 tour. the new f 300 tour is easier to play with than the bio 300 tour.

it definitely comes down to whether one prefers a more "modern" feel with more spin or a more "traditional" feel and more control.

tom4ny 10-29-2012 06:42 AM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...30TReview.html

Chris does a great job comparing the F300 tour to the Bio 300 tour.

i am adding lead to the F300 tour as well as a head hydrosorb grip. this will give me an apples to apples comparison to my Bio 300 tour set up. i think that the new version has better arm protection even though it feels more 'crisp'. will be playing wednesday depending on hurricane damage.

Broly4 10-29-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom4ny (Post 6981426)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Revi...30TReview.html

Chris does a great job comparing the F300 tour to the Bio 300 tour.

i am adding lead to the F300 tour as well as a head hydrosorb grip. this will give me an apples to apples comparison to my Bio 300 tour set up. i think that the new version has better arm protection even though it feels more 'crisp'. will be playing wednesday depending on hurricane damage.

Control=7 Andy?? Lower than the mark you gave to the Head Extreme "rocket launcher" pro 2.0, you know better

Amp1 10-29-2012 09:51 AM

Not sure why the racket is not getting more reviews. Maybe it's the end of the season and racket buying is done.

I upgraded to the new 3.0F after playing with 300 tour for 3 months. Have to say the upgrade is worth it. Playing with excel 16 and really liking it. Full multi may be a bit too much power on this racket, but really liking it so far.

Have been play testing rackets all of this year, and so far played with Prestige mp, radical mp, speed mp, formula 100, rebel 98 and finally settled on 300 tour.

This racket is a great balance between using a players racket to swing through and getting enough power to keep opponents on defense.

Formula 100 and rebel 98 are good rackets, but don't get the satisfaction of swinging through to generate my own power with these two.

People who liked Speed, but find it too harsh, will find this a great upgrade. If you play with radical, but need something more manuravable or a bit more power, this is a great option.

tom4ny 12-20-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amp1 (Post 6981821)
Not sure why the racket is not getting more reviews. Maybe it's the end of the season and racket buying is done.

I upgraded to the new 3.0F after playing with 300 tour for 3 months. Have to say the upgrade is worth it. Playing with excel 16 and really liking it. Full multi may be a bit too much power on this racket, but really liking it so far.

Have been play testing rackets all of this year, and so far played with Prestige mp, radical mp, speed mp, formula 100, rebel 98 and finally settled on 300 tour.

This racket is a great balance between using a players racket to swing through and getting enough power to keep opponents on defense.

Formula 100 and rebel 98 are good rackets, but don't get the satisfaction of swinging through to generate my own power with these two.

People who liked Speed, but find it too harsh, will find this a great upgrade. If you play with radical, but need something more manuravable or a bit more power, this is a great option.

I agree with you on all counts Amp1 but for now I am sticking with my Bio 300 tours. The initial string job that I got from TW when I ordered my F3.0 was off and it was strung around 60 lbs when I had requested 55. I had it restrung by my local pro and now have the same set up as my Bio 300 tours with Isospeed Professional Classic at 55/52 and 4 grams of lead in the upper hoop.

The new frame design on the F3.0 tour fixed the dead feeling of the upper hoop on the Bio version. It is more stable, has a more lively string bed, and the sweet spot is a little bigger and raised higher. Still, a little lead in the upper hoop helps me on serve and provides a little more power. I do think that the Bio 300 tour, when you hit the sweetspot has more power than the new F3.0 tour, but the F3.0 tour has a bigger sweetspot and a snappy livelier stringbed. The F3.0 tour is also better at dampening shock.

Both are great frames but they play slightly differently.

tom4ny 12-20-2012 10:26 AM

the new F3.0 tour does have kind of a metallic "ping" sound when you hit the ball. At first I thought that it may have been the poly strings but even with a multi in, it sounds that way to me. With the same stings in my Bio 300 tour, it is more of a "pop" sound.

a minor issue but noticeable.

roundiesee 12-20-2012 11:59 PM

How does the old 4D 300 Tour stack up against the Bio 300 Tour and the F3.0 Tour?

tom4ny 12-21-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 7073238)
How does the old 4D 300 Tour stack up against the Bio 300 Tour and the F3.0 Tour?

less power, more sluggish through the air but no slouch either, better feel - more flex.

they are all really great frames but with each generation the frame has gotten a little stiffer with a bit more power but less feel. the F 3.0 tour is the most different in feel and the ball comes off of the stringbed faster. the 4D 300 is the most classic in the feel department

Blitzball 12-21-2012 07:34 AM

I feel like the Bio Tour was similar to the Blade or Radical MP spec-wise and playwise. It really let my one handed backhand shine too, and the switch to the F3.0 Tour, which is a stick somewhere inbetween the Bio Tour and Aero Pro Drive, actually hindered my consistency with its crazy pop. I hit flat too, and I was hitting a lot of erratic shots from the baseline. AND I felt the F3.0 got pushed around too easily and even lacked plow through on defensive shots, which aggravated me during my sets. I'm 4.0, and maybe too dependent on the racquet for enhancing my game, so it's probably just me sucking but I've been kind of let down by the F3.0 tour so far. Except on serve, it's really good on serve.