Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Where to stay in Jacksonville (Davis Cup in Feb) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443306)

atatu 10-17-2012 01:47 PM

Where to stay in Jacksonville (Davis Cup in Feb)

I'm giving serious thought to going to Jacksonville for Davis Cup. Any ideas on where to stay, I don't mind spending a little $$, but nothing outrageous. Looked at Ponte Vedra, but that was a little steep ?

GS 10-18-2012 08:57 AM

One of my best trips ever was to the Ritz-Carlton at nearby Amelia Island, but they tore out half of their 8 claycourts a few years ago. And it's pricey---like $289 a nite.
Your cheapest room would be at a Best Western or a Howard Johnson's around Jacksonville, starting around $49 a nite. But they might be dumps....
There's gotta be lots of decent places around $150. You just have to search for em.

mikeler 10-18-2012 09:38 AM

Try Jax Beach the town just north of Ponte Vedra.

floridatennisdude 10-18-2012 03:35 PM

Jax Beach is great, but the hidden gem on the Space Coast is St Augustine. It's an hour south of Jax, but get a condo on the beach and enjoy Florida for a week. You won't hit peak season rates in February. Some of the best restaurants are downtown near Flagler College.

mikeler 10-18-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6963041)
Jax Beach is great, but the hidden gem on the Space Coast is St Augustine. It's an hour south of Jax, but get a condo on the beach and enjoy Florida for a week. You won't hit peak season rates in February. Some of the best restaurants are downtown near Flagler College.

St Augustine is nice for a visit but the drive back and forth might get old. If you do stay in St Augustine, you may want to find a place downtown rather than at the beach.

cneblett 10-19-2012 11:47 AM

Live in Jacksonville and would definetly recommend staying in Jacksonville beach. Amelia island and st. Augustine are both great but the drive everyday could be a bit much. From a tennis perspective Amelia island plantation is great with 23 courts. But it is over an hour away. From jax beach to st augustine is probably 35-40 minutes.

floridatennisdude 10-21-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6963103)
St Augustine is nice for a visit but the drive back and forth might get old. If you do stay in St Augustine, you may want to find a place downtown rather than at the beach.

It wouldn't be bad for Davis Cup. Drive up mid morning and back in the evening. Downtown instead of the beach? That's not how I like to enjoy the coast. Give me 3-4 days with a couple books, a boogie board and some rum drinks! Dinner at The Columbia Restaurant and I'm perfect.

I'm also biased because my wife's boss has a condo in Crescent so we can grab it for a weekend every now and then for just the cleaning fee.

mikeler 10-21-2012 01:13 PM

Downtown still has the water view and you can walk around at night. Different strokes for different folks.