Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Update on Boris Becker/ Volkl (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443330)

zapvor 10-17-2012 05:38 PM

Update on Boris Becker/ Volkl

As we have discussed before, Volkl and thankfully boris becker is going to continue! found out from my source today.

apparently the whole deal with epic international was one huge mess. now that they are under samsung, everything will be more stable, with sound financial backing. so good for volkl!

they are coming out with brand new frames for 2013. unfortunately no new ones for becker. the new volkl speed team looks sweet though! should be a good seller. new strings and new grips too.

but whats most interesting is how it came about. apparently mr Lim who lives in nj has a son that signed up for tennis class a little while back. after playing the son fell in love with the sport. so mr Lim of samsung one day said "hmmm why dont i acquire a high performance tennis company for my son as a gift"!!!! and voila!

oh and organix tech is going to stay

(by the way samsung has something like 33% of s korea's GDP)

srvnvly 10-17-2012 07:06 PM

So, the whole deal with BB announcing there will be new frames (didn't provide any info as to when or how many) on FB, was a bunch of BS? And the BB line will consist of the NYC and ___?

zapvor 10-17-2012 09:11 PM

as far as we know its just nyc for now.

dje31 10-18-2012 05:16 AM

Nothing saying they can't / won't re-badge / re-brand / repaint any of the BB leftovers as Volkl product. Wouldn't be the first MFR to do that.

coolblue123 10-18-2012 06:45 AM

thanks zappy for the info. Good to know. I wish I had a dad that'll buy me a tennis equipment company.

sureshs 10-18-2012 08:23 AM

Samsung? Are they into sports too?

Bdarb 10-18-2012 08:40 AM

I spoke with the volkl ne tennis rep. He said having Samsung as a backer has been helpful and made things more reliable. He said the strings and new sticks were great too but he didn't mention anything about bb. Hopefully the London is still around.

BreakPoint 10-18-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6962431)
Samsung? Are they into sports too?

Why not? Panasonic used to make bicycles (maybe they still do?) and Bridgestone makes tennis racquets.

Vlad_C 10-18-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 6961679)

but whats most interesting is how it came about. apparently mr Lim who lives in nj has a son that signed up for tennis class a little while back. after playing the son fell in love with the sport. so mr Lim of samsung one day said "hmmm why dont i acquire a high performance tennis company for my son as a gift"!!!! and voila!

Samsung was a part of the original deal with Epic Sports International.

From 2010:
"Samsung C&T America, Inc. will be responsible for all domestic ‘pick and pack’ functions and logistics management between Epic’s Far East suppliers and the firm’s global distribution networks."

You can read the 2010 announcement at:
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...epic_spor.html

So it looks like Samsung said, Hey, wait a minute, we're doing all the work here anyway, why don't we just buy the license and continue doing the same thing on our own.

sargeinaz 10-18-2012 01:21 PM

They need to stop messing around and bring back the Tour 10 MP gen 1

ollinger 10-18-2012 01:59 PM

^^ There's a business plan!! Announce to the world "we're so bankrupt of ideas that we're bringing back racquets from 5 years ago!"

sargeinaz 10-18-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6962977)
^^ There's a business plan!! Announce to the world "we're so bankrupt of ideas that we're bringing back racquets from 5 years ago!"

Wilson brought back the PS85, volkl still makes the c10, hell the prestiges are all basically the same rackets they were from back in the day. Just give the tour 10 a new paintjob with some bogus "tech" and call it a day. That's all head does or wilson with their 6.1 series. Besides, bringing back the Tour 10 MP would probably sell better than the organix 10.

I didnt see you mention anything in the ps85 threads or any head prestige threads :confused:

Bartelby 10-18-2012 04:31 PM

Samsung moved in because Epic Sports International bought the license at the top of the market and couldn't make any money on it in the 'great recession'.

The reality is that Samsung is into clothes in America, but not sports gear, but the labels could be a vehicle for sports clothing as well as racquet goods.

So this is a new departure for them, but the reality is that product development is in Switzerland and they did all the logistics so it makes sense at some level for them to do it all.

If there's any money in it, that is.

goherd27 10-18-2012 06:34 PM

We have all been waiting. Just set my watch.

Bartelby 10-18-2012 06:39 PM

I hope the new ownership's social media policy is less aggressive.

vsbabolat 10-18-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6963235)
Samsung moved in because Epic Sports International bought the license at the top of the market and couldn't make any money on it in the 'great recession'.

The reality is that Samsung is into clothes in America, but not sports gear, but the labels could be a vehicle for sports clothing as well as racquet goods.

So this is a new departure for them, but the reality is that product development is in Switzerland and they did all the logistics so it makes sense at some level for them to do it all.

If there's any money in it, that is.

All the product development of Voelkl Tennis racquets is in Bogen, Germany. With the headquarters being in Solana Beach, California under the control of Epic Sports.
Now Marker Voelkl International (the ski company that owns the Voelkl name) produces skis in Straubing, Germany with the headquarters being in Baar, Switzerland.

You confused the two companies. Unfortunately Marker Voelkl only licenses out the Voelkl name for tennis racquets and collect the royalties. They have nothing to do with racquet developing, marketing, or logistics of tennis racquets since about 1999.

Bartelby 10-18-2012 07:16 PM

Yes, product development is in Germany but I presumed it was under the control of Makler Volkl in Switzerland.

That's where I went wrong.

So its disappointing to hear its under the control of Epic Sports, although their parent website continues to insist that the asset has been sold.

So there is some lack of clarity about your clarification.

Who is doing the product development in Bogen and who owns that company?

If it is ESI is that the same company that Amincor disposed of?

And what is Samsung C&T's role if ESI still owns product development?

What precisely is the relationship between Samsung, ESI and the company in Bogen?

Timbo's hopeless slice 10-18-2012 08:17 PM

It's Marker Volkl, actually. (Marker used to be a stand alone binding company)

not that it has anything to do with the tennis business anymore anyway, but you may a s well get it right

vsbabolat 10-18-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6963433)
Yes, product development is in Germany but I presumed it was under the control of Makler Volkl in Switzerland.

That's where I went wrong.

So its disappointing to hear its under the control of Epic Sports, although their parent website continues to insist that the asset has been sold.

So there is some lack of clarity about your clarification.

Who is doing the product development in Bogen and who owns that company?

If it is ESI is that the same company that Amincor disposed of?

And what is Samsung C&T's role if ESI still owns product development?

What precisely is the relationship between Samsung, ESI and the company in Bogen?

The facility in Bogen, Germany developing tennis racquets is a asset of Voelkl Tennis. If Samsung is now the licensee then its now under their control.

zapvor 10-18-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdarb (Post 6962458)
I spoke with the volkl ne tennis rep. He said having Samsung as a backer has been helpful and made things more reliable. He said the strings and new sticks were great too but he didn't mention anything about bb. Hopefully the London is still around.

yea exactly samsung is keeping them float.

the london is done.