Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   wrist hurting-braces? advice? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443362)

mr_fro2000 10-18-2012 06:19 AM

wrist hurting-braces? advice?

Do any of you know any wrist braces in addition to 'off time' treatment that might help my tennis wrist issue?

To be clear, i do not think the problem area is the ulna (like the 'side' of my wrist). It is really more the 'top side' of my wrist (when palm is facing down) in the middle.

When i hit, it is most irritated w/ my 1 handed backhand and backhand volleys. Slices seem to not hurt.

I do ice it after playing, however, the pain never seems to go away. I even took a 2 week rest and it still hurts.

Does anyone have similar wrist pains, and do you recommend any braces? Thanks!

ollinger 10-18-2012 06:34 AM

1) a brace is unlikely to be of any value unless it immobilizes or provides added resistance to movement; this is not very feasible with the wrist as you need a fairly full range of wrist motion in order to play tennis.
2) since the structures most likely to be injured or inflamed are inside the bony tunnel (carpal tunnel) of the wrist, ice is unlikely to be of any real benefit.
3) rest it for a more meaningful period of time, a month or two, then seek medical attention if it persists.

mr_fro2000 10-18-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6962292)
2) since the structures most likely to be injured or inflamed are inside the bony tunnel (carpal tunnel) of the wrist, ice is unlikely to be of any real benefit.

I'm definitely no expert, but do you think the issue is carpal tunnel? My understanding of carpal tunnel is that it is on the 'bottom side' of the wrist (the palm side, not the upper side). This injury is decidedly NOT the bottom side.

I am also not experiencing any kind of numbness that is usually associated w/ carpal tunnel.

ollinger 10-18-2012 07:14 AM

Read my post again -- where did I say the issue is "carpal tunnel"? My point was that the affected structures are usually INSIDE the carpal tunnel so ice is pointless. And I think you are confusing "carpal tunnel syndrome" with the structure that is the carpal tunnel.

Chas Tennis 10-18-2012 11:10 AM

thread with wrist injury information

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...wrist+forehand

kopfan 10-18-2012 11:41 AM

I think i know what are you referring to. Please do a few test to confirm where is the problem.
1) put your hand palm face on the table relax, arm remain straight and relax off the table. Try to rise your fingers without any help.
2) stand close to the wall and straighten your arm n palm flat on the wall.. slowly push into the wall causing your wrist at 90 deg bend.
3) grip your knuckle tight, straighten arm forward like trying to punch someone in front, slowly lift your knuckle.
Which exercise do you feel pain at the wrist?
Use the other hand, Grip your injured wrist with your thumb onto the area whereby a watch face will be if your wear a watch on the injured wrist and repeat the exercise. Any pain?

Fuzzy 10-18-2012 12:30 PM

No to the brace...

From experience (have had 2 separate wrist issues, one that required surgery, on that did not)

Wrist injuries are caused form bad technique...mine were from my serve...after corrected the 2nd went away...the first unfortunately I played on too long and not even months of rest helped....

About the brace though, I was told that a brace causes more discomfort by stopping the vibration at the brace as opposed to letting it travel down your arm like it should naturally.

LeeD 10-18-2012 12:57 PM

U need to spend 20 bucks, buy a brace that limits movement, and try it on the T courts.
It can be technique, it can be heriditary, previous injuries, whatever, it ain't feeling right.
2 weeks is waaay too little time to allow anything to heal, wrist wise. 6 months more likely.
As usual, see Doc.
Try stretching and bending.
Ibu certainly helps, but not recommended long term.

hard2explain 10-18-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy (Post 6962845)
No to the brace...

Wrist injuries are caused form bad technique...mine were from my serve...after corrected the 2nd went away...the first unfortunately I played on too long and not even months of rest helped....

Similar experience here. My wrist issues came from using too much wrist too late on my ground strokes.

I now am trying to follow through across my chest and over the shoulder, rather than trying to whip it over my head.

Also I've found using a bigger grip locks in the wrist more. Maybe consider building it up with an overgrip or two or heat shrink sleeve?

LeeD 10-18-2012 01:57 PM

2 cases of incorrect form, one from general wear and tear thru 50 years of organized contact sports.

mr_fro2000 10-22-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopfan (Post 6962763)
I think i know what are you referring to. Please do a few test to confirm where is the problem.
1) put your hand palm face on the table relax, arm remain straight and relax off the table. Try to rise your fingers without any help.
2) stand close to the wall and straighten your arm n palm flat on the wall.. slowly push into the wall causing your wrist at 90 deg bend.
3) grip your knuckle tight, straighten arm forward like trying to punch someone in front, slowly lift your knuckle.
Which exercise do you feel pain at the wrist?
Use the other hand, Grip your injured wrist with your thumb onto the area whereby a watch face will be if your wear a watch on the injured wrist and repeat the exercise. Any pain?

Thank you for the responses everyone... very helpful. At some point I will get this checked out. In regards to form, i actually have a very 'non wristy' stroke on both sides... eastern forehand and 1 handed backhand. If anything one of the strengths of my game is my stroke mechanics (now if that just translated into wins...grrrrr).

Regarding the quoted test above I had a some trouble following the written instructions, but to the best of my knowledge, that area that you are referring to... 'watch face' part of my wrist is definitely where the pain is.

tennisplayer_85 10-31-2012 01:48 PM

I have had a similar wrist injury, still didn’t get rid of it completely. but my experience is that braces cause more stress. i have used many different ones but in the end preferred none of them.

LeeD 10-31-2012 01:52 PM

Squeeze your wrist with the other hand.
Does it feel better immediately?
If so, a compression sleeve might help.

sureshs 10-31-2012 02:11 PM

I think the stuff that club players wear - wrist and elbow bands - are a complete waste of money. I don't think something that can be easily put on and does not immobilize the area can actually achieve anything, and I find the idea that a comfy strap filled with gel can "absorb" shock to be unbelievable.

LeeD 10-31-2012 02:18 PM

In my specific case, 4-10 years ago, the back of the hand, below the pinkie would get unbearably painful, after a set or two, and then sitting out a set. Shooting sharp pain forced me to go home, rather than try to warm up for the 3rd set.
I tried squeezing my wrist joint, and instant pain relief. So I started warming up squeezing my wrist between points, and it worked. Use thumb and middle finger. Try it.