Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Scores for Chris' Volkl C10 Pro 2012 Review? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443463)

corners 10-19-2012 08:14 AM

Scores for Chris' Volkl C10 Pro 2012 Review?
 
Thanks to Chris for publishing his one-man reviews on frames that don't make it onto the full crew's review list. I think it's great that he is revisiting some classic frames like the POG OS and C10 Pro.

But would he be interested in adding his scores for the C10 (power, feel, spin, control, etc.) to the review to give us a better sense of how this frame stacks up to others for him, in the specific categories of performance?

TW Staff 10-19-2012 10:33 AM

My scores would look like this:
Power 85
Control 80
Maneuverability 77
Stability 83
Comfort 92
Touch/Feel 90
Serves & Overheads 84
Groundstrokes 84
Returns 82
Slice 90
Topspin 84
Volleys 86
Overall 87

Chris, TW

corners 10-19-2012 11:18 AM

Wow. Easy to see why you switched. Thanks!!

mrrockstar 10-22-2012 03:46 PM

Wow too.

The score from Chris pretty impressive.

Chris, how do you compare with Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0?

Chris, I saw you also playtested Donnay Pro One 97 18x20. I have a Donnay X-Dual Pro 97, the racquet seems very boardy when hitting. I also played P1 97 16x19, very comfortable, powerful, but some prob in accuracy (ball directions).

How do you also compare C10 Pro 2012 with Donnay Pro One 97 18x20?

Many Thanks!



TW Staff 10-23-2012 12:30 PM

The Extreme Pro 2.0 has a very different feel. It is crisp and very responsive -- but also comfortable thanks to the new grommet system. Great spin, great power. Kind of like a more maneuverable PDR, but without as much plow through power.

The C10 Pro offers more zip compared to the Donnay Pro One 97 18x20 and is actually closer in performance to the open patterned Pro One. After hitting the 16x19, I thought I was going to find my holy grail in the 18x20 Pro One, but it didn't pad out. The spec was slightly different and I ended up preferring the 16x19 even though it always felt a tad lively.

The C10 Pro has a similar lively response, but I have found simply going higher in tension solves the issue. I've not tried dropping very low in tension to see if that also solves the problem which may seem somewhat ironic since I did the whole low tension experiment, but I have been using the C10 Pro a lot during string testing where it is important I test the string at a more popular tension range.

I would recommend you try your Donnay Pro One at a high tension first -- it offers the comfort to handle it -- and see where you are.

The C10 Pro is also well worth a demo and there's a ton of info on here about it since it has been around forever.

Chris, TW

Babolatbarry 10-23-2012 02:58 PM

Chris, would you say that the c10 Pro's power level is around the new six.one 16x18s? Love the power just looking for a bit more consistence (As you know there are hot spots with the six.one)

TW Staff 10-23-2012 03:21 PM

I would say the power is in the same ball park, but the feel is quite different. You can certainly crush the ball with both as they both come through contact with some nice plow through. The stringbed feels livelier on the C10 Pro, so it is the more powerful of the two for me.

The Six.One has that solid box beam feel, while the C10 Pro has a flexier feel to it.

Chris, TW

mrrockstar 10-24-2012 12:09 PM

Hi Chris,

How do you compare Maneuverability of C10 Pro, QTour and YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0?

I also noticed there is a maneuverability issue on QTour as you playtested.

I am a skinny guy at age 40, with shoulder problem (steroid treatment before). I played my friend's Boris Becker Delta Core London (not Tour), very comfortable and played quite well with this.

So I am now going look for a new one (more power, bigger sweetspot, better maneuverability) to replace my QTour.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

TripleB 10-24-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6971015)
The C10 Pro is also well worth a demo and there's a ton of info on here about it since it has been around forever.

Chris, TW

Will there be demos available for the 2012 version of the C10 Pro?

I click on Demo for the '12 and it doesn't show any. The $99 version shows demos available but I wasn't sure if it played the same as the '12 or not.

Thanks.

TripleB

TW Staff 10-25-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 6973053)
Will there be demos available for the 2012 version of the C10 Pro?

I click on Demo for the '12 and it doesn't show any. The $99 version shows demos available but I wasn't sure if it played the same as the '12 or not.

Thanks.

TripleB


TripleB,

It looks like we will get in some of the Volkl C10 Pro 2012 demos at the beginning of November.

Brittany, TW

TripleB 10-25-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6974349)
TripleB,

It looks like we will get in some of the Volkl C10 Pro 2012 demos at the beginning of November.

Brittany, TW

Awesome...I look forward to trying it out soon. Thank you!!!

TripleB

TW Staff 10-25-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrockstar (Post 6972896)
Hi Chris,

How do you compare Maneuverability of C10 Pro, QTour and YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0?

I find both the C10 Pro and Extreme Pro 2.0 easier to accelerate through the hit than the Q Tour. I found the Q Tour high on control but lower on power. I think the fact I couldn't snap it through as fast on a serve or get as much drive off the ground accounted for much of that.

The Extreme Pro 2.0 is just a fast feeling racquet, pure and simple. I also find the C10 Pro an easy racquet to maneuver and it feels much faster than its specs would indicate.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW

mrrockstar 10-26-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks very much Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6975109)
I find both the C10 Pro and Extreme Pro 2.0 easier to accelerate through the hit than the Q Tour. I found the Q Tour high on control but lower on power. I think the fact I couldn't snap it through as fast on a serve or get as much drive off the ground accounted for much of that.

The Extreme Pro 2.0 is just a fast feeling racquet, pure and simple. I also find the C10 Pro an easy racquet to maneuver and it feels much faster than its specs would indicate.

Hope that helps.
Chris, TW


mrmike 10-27-2012 05:11 AM

For me, the C10 pro is one of the most perfect weight and balance setups in stock form. Don't feel like it needs customization for optimal performance. There aren't many racquets around like that any more.

Capt. Willie 10-27-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6971015)
The C10 Pro has a similar lively response, but I have found simply going higher in tension solves the issue. I've not tried dropping very low in tension to see if that also solves the problem which may seem somewhat ironic since I did the whole low tension experiment, but I have been using the C10 Pro a lot during string testing where it is important I test the string at a more popular tension range.


Chris, TW

Hey Chris, Any chance of talking you into trying the C10 at a low tension....say 35lbs or so? I'd just like to see your findings on this racquet strung like that.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 6977617)
For me, the C10 pro is one of the most perfect weight and balance setups in stock form. Don't feel like it needs customization for optimal performance. There aren't many racquets around like that any more.

I have leather grips on mine (I guess that would fall under customization) which makes it slightly more head light and a bit heavier. But my main reason is that I just prefer the feel of leather with a Tourna Grip overgrip.

jjs891 10-27-2012 12:24 PM

For those that are using c10, I read in other threads that specs are all over the range due to QC issues. Do you find this to be true for you guys?

Capt. Willie 10-28-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjs891 (Post 6978206)
For those that are using c10, I read in other threads that specs are all over the range due to QC issues. Do you find this to be true for you guys?

I beg to differ. I believe their quality control is among the best.

jjs891 10-29-2012 09:06 AM

Good to hear.

TW Staff 10-29-2012 11:44 AM

I'll try and hit one at 35lbs this week.

Chris, TW

Stroke 12-05-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 6964232)
My scores would look like this:
Power 85
Control 80
Maneuverability 77
Stability 83
Comfort 92
Touch/Feel 90
Serves & Overheads 84
Groundstrokes 84
Returns 82
Slice 90
Topspin 84
Volleys 86
Overall 87

Chris, TW

Chris, how would you compare the C10 to the POG OS?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse