Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How much is too much of water? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443481)

tennisenthusiast 10-19-2012 12:05 PM

How much is too much of water?

On a non-playing day, how much is too much?

For example, I am a 130lb male in my mid 30's and I keep a 24oz bottle on my desk at work and on anyl day drink about 48oz of water. Is it too much?

Any useful comments/experiences to share?

sureshs 10-19-2012 12:37 PM

Somebody said that if your urine is not colored (i.e., it is clear), your water intake is OK.

chrischris 10-19-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6964440)
Somebody said that if your urine is not colored (i.e., it is clear), your water intake is OK.

Silly answer for 2 reasons.
A. That 'somebody' says this isnt really reliable.
B.If your urine is clear you coudl be way over the ideal point of getting it clear in the first place.

I think its best to weigh yourself before a workout during which you dont drink at all and irectly after it .That will help you to precisely determine your individual fluid loss and using that well you know how much to drink.

r2473 10-19-2012 12:52 PM

Not only do they make the worlds best mayo, they also dispense medical advice:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

floridatennisdude 10-19-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6964455)
B.If your urine is clear you coudl be way over the ideal point of getting it clear in the first place.

I think its best to weigh yourself before a workout during which you dont drink at all and irectly after it .That will help you to precisely determine your individual fluid loss and using that well you know how much to drink.

My urine is clear after about 4 beers. Probably not good.

Clear is over hydrated. Dijon Mustard is the opposite end. Clear with a tint of yellow is safe.

sureshs 10-19-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6964455)

I am not a doctor, and can only say what I hear and which seems reasonable. It may be silly to you, but I have heard it more than once.

Clear urine was meant as an upper bound, not a lower bound. That should have been pretty obvious.

chrischris 10-19-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6964466)
I am not a doctor, and can only say what I hear and which seems reasonable. It may be silly to you, but I have heard it more than once.

Clear urine was meant as an upper bound, not a lower bound. That should have been pretty obvious.

Its clear you arent:)

Plus its not obvious.

Someone said Elvis is alive, more than once. ... soemone said AGW isnt happening. Both are incorrect, but i think thats obvious.

r2473 10-19-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 6964386)
On a non-playing day, how much is too much?

For example, I am a 130lb male in my mid 30's and I keep a 24oz bottle on my desk at work and on anyl day drink about 48oz of water. Is it too much?

Any useful comments/experiences to share?

I would keep drinking water until your ribs hurt.

At that point (as I've already said), I'd switch over to BBQ sauce.

tennisenthusiast 10-19-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 6964492)

Are you hinting that I am drinking too much water and thus the rib muscle knot? And as I said before I like curry powder! :)

chrischris 10-19-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

The human water spout. ... would you spout the water at the guys ribs?

chrischris 10-19-2012 03:46 PM

This is too much water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Jm1...eature=related

mikeler 10-19-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

You can't argue with this logic.

TheCheese 10-19-2012 05:22 PM

Just make sure to leave enough fresh water for the rest of us. I'm sure you're doing better than most people drinking 24oz of water every day.

NTRPolice 10-19-2012 05:34 PM

I carry a lot of liquids with me when I play a serous match. I feel like I almost died once (my body did not want to retain water) so now I mix gatoraid and water, about half and half.

I take at least 96 oz. of liquids with me if its just one match. For every concurrent match I take 50% more. 2 matches: ~150 oz. of liquids.

Cases of bottled water from Costco.
Cases of bottled gatoraid from Costco.

I do about 1.5 bottles of water (24 oz.) per 16 oz. of gatoraid.

Um, if its "beer" I take 6, 12 oz. cans, or 2, 33 oz. cans. If I need more than that, people are usually offering lol.

Also, make sure you take water/gatoraid if you do this... if you start to feel weak or dizzy it might be wise to lay off the beer for a bit and drink some water/gatoraid.

I would advise against drinking alcohol in matches, especially at high noon, and where play isnt "casual".

EDIT: I dont "chill" my water/gatoraid. I just stuff them all inside my tennis bag. A "tour" bag or "12" bag will hold 4 rackets + everything else you'll need.

I only chill my beer. lol.

sureshs 10-20-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 6964865)
Just make sure to leave enough fresh water for the rest of us. I'm sure you're doing better than most people drinking 24oz of water every day.

If he drinks too much water, he will urinate more, and we can still have fresh water by recycling his urine.

chrischris 10-20-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6965757)
If he drinks too much water, he will urinate more, and we can still have fresh water by recycling his urine.

Your innately taking the **** then ?

3fees 10-21-2012 08:49 AM

When your electrolyte balance gets cooked-diluted.

sureshs 10-21-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6965835)
Your innately taking the **** then ?

It is prejudice that prevents people from limiting recycled water to irrigating plants.

chrischris 10-21-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6967306)
It is prejudice that prevents people from limiting recycled water to irrigating plants.

Is it? Where ? Why do you think that is?
Are you pretty well educated on water shortage issues and solutions?

dominikk1985 10-22-2012 02:30 PM

99% of all people will never drink too much (water:)). the body usually tells you when it has enough water.

with alcohol this doesn't work as well:D