Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Manila Anyone? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443514)

Kostas 10-19-2012 09:28 PM

Manila Anyone?
 
Anyone playing tennis in Manila, Philippines?

My wife and I are relocating for my job. It's a big city and I'm sure there are lots of players there.

I'm a low end 4.0 and she is a high end 4.5. Let me know if anyone wants to get together after we get settled in.

rommil 10-20-2012 11:24 AM

Hey man, just reading this now........I am not from Manila and I have been stateside since 96 but I have a friend who hits with pros from Manila. I am sure they can recommend places to play and hit with you. If you are interested email me here from my account.

Chotobaka 10-20-2012 12:58 PM

If you are looking for something beyond just tennis I recommend the Manila Polo Club. Monthly fees are ridiculously low by US standards, especially for a full-blown very upscale club. They have literally every sports recreational activity you can get in RP. For racquet sports, indoor and outdoor courts plus squash and badminton (much tougher sport than most imagine when not played in a back yard with beer in hand). Court fees are stupid low -- around 100P an hour with a ball-boy, half of that picking up your own balls. I could never get used to the ball-boy thing.

One of the best features is the fact that they have relationships with many other clubs in Asia and the USA, so you can have tennis privileges in lots of very nice facilities in varied places.

I am not a club-type guy but if I was in Manila (I much prefer the provinces) I would seriously consider an all encompassing place like this as a complete recreation/entertainment center.

Greg G 10-22-2012 03:13 AM

^ Chotobaka hit the nail on the head. Not many choices for public courts in Manila. Manila Polo Club is the best here. Other country club choices with plenty of courts are Alabang Country Club, Makati Sports Club. Valle Verde Country Club has a strong tennis program. There are other smaller clubs with less number of courts.

I suppose it all depends on where you're located. Proximity is important, given the traffic conditions here.

Re ballboys, I had the reverse experience. When I stayed in hawaii for a year, the first few times I hit, my partners were ****ed off because I wasn't picking up the balls :D

RobertoFedFan6 10-22-2012 03:51 AM

If youre gonna live in a private village or will have friends there. almost all upscale villages will have tennis courts such as Corinthians, Valle Verde, Ayala Heights. check out rockwell club as well they've got good coaches too. But Greg G was right, public courts are non existent here in Manila! hahaha

Kostas 10-26-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6965896)
If you are looking for something beyond just tennis I recommend the Manila Polo Club. Monthly fees are ridiculously low by US standards, especially for a full-blown very upscale club. They have literally every sports recreational activity you can get in RP. For racquet sports, indoor and outdoor courts plus squash and badminton (much tougher sport than most imagine when not played in a back yard with beer in hand). Court fees are stupid low -- around 100P an hour with a ball-boy, half of that picking up your own balls. I could never get used to the ball-boy thing.

One of the best features is the fact that they have relationships with many other clubs in Asia and the USA, so you can have tennis privileges in lots of very nice facilities in varied places.

I am not a club-type guy but if I was in Manila (I much prefer the provinces) I would seriously consider an all encompassing place like this as a complete recreation/entertainment center.

We just arrived and are staying in a hotel until we can find a place to live.

We are 99% certain we will be living in either Rockwell or The Fort. We have looked into the Manila Polo Club, but we were under the impression that it was incredibly exclusive and impossible to get into. Is this not the case?

Greg G 10-26-2012 06:14 PM

You could check out the tennis courts at Colegio San Agustin in Dasmarinas Village. Been meaning to take a look myself, I hear the sports facilities are pretty good.

makinao 10-27-2012 03:00 AM

Apologies in advance if this is isn't allowed here.

Check out the local forum http://www.pinoytennisonline.com/forum/

Chotobaka 10-27-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostas (Post 6977062)
We just arrived and are staying in a hotel until we can find a place to live.

We are 99% certain we will be living in either Rockwell or The Fort. We have looked into the Manila Polo Club, but we were under the impression that it was incredibly exclusive and impossible to get into. Is this not the case?

You do need to be sponsored and voted in by the Board. As with all things in RP, this can be easily arranged. As a Kano living there you should have no problem.

Kostas 10-31-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6977923)
You do need to be sponsored and voted in by the Board. As with all things in RP, this can be easily arranged. As a Kano living there you should have no problem.

I've been talking with some colleagues and locals and it doesn't appear realistic that this is something that is going to happen for me unfortunately.

It appears pretty difficult to get my foot in the door.

Chotobaka 10-31-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostas (Post 6987011)
I've been talking with some colleagues and locals and it doesn't appear realistic that this is something that is going to happen for me unfortunately.

It appears pretty difficult to get my foot in the door.


Have you contacted the club? Nothing to lose by doing so. Make friends.

rommil 10-31-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostas (Post 6987011)
I've been talking with some colleagues and locals and it doesn't appear realistic that this is something that is going to happen for me unfortunately.

It appears pretty difficult to get my foot in the door.

You can try and contact Toto Joven or Tony Sagansay, I have their numbers if you want. They are PI pros I believe. Maybe they can help you:)

makinao 11-05-2012 01:00 AM

Hi Kostas, found anything yet?

rommil 11-05-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makinao (Post 6995394)
Hi Kostas, found anything yet?

He is prob stuck in the hideous Manila traffic for the last days:(

West Coast Ace 11-06-2012 06:25 PM

^^^ LOL! The joke is they never have traffic fatalities because the cars are moving too slow. :)

Polo Club is awesome. Friend is a member so I had the run of the place for a week. Great coaches to hit with. The shell courts are fun. Can't wait to go back.

Kostas 11-20-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rommil (Post 6987207)
You can try and contact Toto Joven or Tony Sagansay, I have their numbers if you want. They are PI pros I believe. Maybe they can help you:)

Hey guys...I have been stuck in traffic! EDSA is a biotch!

So we have just gotten settled in the Fort in a nice condo at Serendra.

Haven't even had time to look at the tennis scene yet first hand but all we have is a feeling that the Polo club isn't in the cards for us.

rommil - I would really appreciate it if you could pass on those numbers. We have to start somewhere. You can PM them to me if you like.

Now that we're getting settled in my wife and are both anxious to get out on a court somewhere.

rommil 11-21-2012 07:11 AM

^^^^sent you the numbers. I always try to skip Manila going home, despise that traffic among other things:)

When you get time , try a trip to Cebu and esp Bohol (where I am from), the provinces are way more relaxing than Manila, although Cebu is not that anymore.

Greg G 11-22-2012 03:11 PM

I think your best bet would be the CSA tennis courts in Dasmarinas Village-5 minutes from Serendra. 5 hard courts. Valle Verde Country Club is maybe 10-15 minutes away- by membership, but the shares are waaaay less costly compared to Polo Club. 1 outdoor hard court (not in good shape), 7 indoor shell courts, 5 outdoor shell courts.

Cris8 11-25-2012 08:55 AM

Kostas, I'm also moving to Manila in January. If you're still looking to play tennis then, let me know. I'm a frequent visitor to the country and am confident we can find good courts to play at.

Kostas 12-01-2012 06:50 PM

Well we haven't had much luck thus far. I can't even get past the gates at the Polo Club. The monthly dues aren't that much, but a share apparently costs about Php9.5million.

I checked out the Army Gymnasium court today and it's not in great shape.

We have been looking at the CSA courts, but I'm not sure if we can get in Dasmarinas or not. I will have to try this week. Do they rent those courts out to the public?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse