Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Greatest Canadian player ever (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443566)

Dan Lobb 10-20-2012 12:32 PM

Greatest Canadian player ever

I expect that this will be a short list.

Here are the most legitimate candidates for greatest ever Canadian player.
This is not an exhaustive list.

1) Lorne Main
Current World #1 over 80
World #1 over 70 in 2000
Champion Monte Carlo clay 1954
Davis Cup 14 wins 14 defeats in singles

2) Bob Bedard
Last Canadian to win the Canadian championship 1955, 1957, 1958 defeating in the finals Ramanathan Krishnan (World #3) and Whitney Reed (U.S.A. #1)
Davis Cup greatest success in 1961, defeating both Llamas and Osuna (World #1) in singles
Defeated Emerson (World #1) at Queens Club 1958
Won a set off Hoad at Wimbledon 1954, lost 3 matches to Hoad in Slam events (Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Forest Hills) lost to both Hoad and Rosewall in 1955 Davis Cup

3) Mike Belkin
Rated #7 in world in early 1960's
Davis Cup record 14 wins 7 defeats in singles

4) Daniel Nestor
Defeated world #1 Edberg in five sets in 1992 Davis Cup singles
Won numberless doubles titles, all four slam events and world titles

5) Greg Rusedski
U.S. Open runnerup 1997
Ranked #4 in world
Dual citizen, played Davis Cup for Britain

6) Milos Raonic
Current world #14
Defeated Murray at Japan Open 2012 (career record 2 wins 1 defeat against Murray)

7) Filip Peliwo
Current 2012 Wimbledon and U.S. Open Junior Champion
World Junior #1 2012

Canada has not been a hotbed of tennis until recently, but the above is an honourable list.
I would rate Bob Bedard as all-time number 1, but this could change if Raonic or Peliwo continue to develop.

treblings 10-20-2012 12:38 PM

i appreciate that you include Lorne Maine.
the ITF Seniors Circuit is extremely competitive and his multiple world championships over decades deserve recognition

Hidious 10-20-2012 12:47 PM

Daniel Nestor hands down.

treblings 10-20-2012 12:49 PM

do the canadians consider greg rusedski as own of their own?

Dan Lobb 10-20-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6965890)

He is one of our own, and was trained here with Canadian development funds.
On his Wikipedia bio, you will see TWO flags, Canadian and British. He is a dual citizen.

treblings 10-20-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6965894)
He is one of our own, and was trained here with Canadian development funds.
On his Wikipedia bio, you will see TWO flags, Canadian and British. He is a dual citizen.

so, no hard feelings toward him?

Dan Lobb 10-20-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6965898)
so, no hard feelings toward him?

The Canadian tennis public has hard feelings, because they paid for his training but he acquired British citizenship to get on the well-funded British team. Or so goes the story.
Personally, I have no hard feelings, and Rusedski continues to claim that he is a proud Canadian.

jaggy 10-20-2012 01:04 PM

Glen Michibata was the coolest I thought.

Dan Lobb 10-20-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6965890)

The funniest thing I have seen on television was John Lloyd's commentary of a Rusedski match just after Greg joined the British team, when Lloyd stated "Greg actually played a couple of seasons in Canada and picked up his fighting spirit there."
Actually, he lived his ENTIRE life in Canada until he switched Davis Cup teams. Some joke.

Carsomyr 10-20-2012 01:13 PM

Nestor, and it's not close.

treblings 10-20-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6965914)
The funniest thing I have seen on television was John Lloyd's commentary of a Rusedski match just after Greg joined the British team, when Lloyd stated "Greg actually played a couple of seasons in Canada and picked up his fighting spirit there."
Actually, he lived his ENTIRE life in Canada until he switched Davis Cup teams. Some joke.

what where Rusedskis reasons for playing for GB? i seem to remember he had relatives there.

Dan Lobb 10-20-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6965919)
what where Rusedskis reasons for playing for GB? i seem to remember he had relatives there.

His mother was BORN in Britain, but his parents were and ARE devout Canucks. Greg would, of course, have some relatives in U.K., as I do.
I have second cousins in Cornwall who put up myself and my father when we visited in 2009, and a cousin offered me use of his summer house on the coast. First time I have met these folks, but I do not consider myself a Brit. Not by a longshot.

Mustard 10-20-2012 02:36 PM

Rusedski stopped representing Canada in tennis in June 1995. 1995 Queen's Club was Rusedski's first tournament representing Great Britain, and he was beaten by Mark Petchey, who didn't hide his delight. Rusedski then reached the Round of 16 at 1995 Wimbledon, the best British performance at the tournament, before losing to Sampras.

PeteD 10-20-2012 03:03 PM

I heard at the time it was a matter of money - Rusedski could make more on endorsements if he represented himself as a Brit. I remember feeling like he turned his back on Canada for money and it left a bad feeling.

Gonzalito17 10-20-2012 04:40 PM

Saw Lorne Main play in Sarasota, even played doubles with him once, he used to play there a lot, very fine player, very smooth and elegant with good placement. Gentleman too. Not very big or strong but a lot of talent in his hands and feet and head.

Gonzalito17 10-20-2012 04:41 PM

You have to go with Greg Rusedski as the most accomplished Canadian singles player. And Nestor in doubles. Expect Raonic to surpass Rusedski though.

treblings 10-21-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lobb (Post 6965924)
His mother was BORN in Britain, but his parents were and ARE devout Canucks. Greg would, of course, have some relatives in U.K., as I do.
I have second cousins in Cornwall who put up myself and my father when we visited in 2009, and a cousin offered me use of his summer house on the coast. First time I have met these folks, but I do not consider myself a Brit. Not by a longshot.

most of my relatives are over in Canada, immigrated at one point in history or another, and they always make me feel at home:)
doesn´t change the fact that i am austrian

treblings 10-21-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteD (Post 6966029)
I heard at the time it was a matter of money - Rusedski could make more on endorsements if he represented himself as a Brit. I remember feeling like he turned his back on Canada for money and it left a bad feeling.

now why did i have the feeling, that it might have something to do with money:???:

treblings 10-21-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 6966189)
Saw Lorne Main play in Sarasota, even played doubles with him once, he used to play there a lot, very fine player, very smooth and elegant with good placement. Gentleman too. Not very big or strong but a lot of talent in his hands and feet and head.

people like him, or Gardnar Mulloy, are real idols for me. i believe they change our perspective on aging and what we can do if we keep on playing and training(and being lucky and having the right genes i guess)

MAXXply 10-21-2012 04:07 AM

Grant Connell? Sebastien Lareau? Pete Burwash?!