Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The (young) Williams sisters (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443591)

10ismom 10-20-2012 06:49 PM

The (young) Williams sisters

I found this YouTube video while browsing on Serena's serve. The original Transworld sport interview was done when Venus and Serena were 12 and 11 yo.
Sorry if you've seen it. I think I would share this heartwarming video for those who haven't seen. It was about the Williams sisters and their father, Richard William when he moved his family to FL so the girls would be able to train and be prepared for the pro career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gUo2o0494

Below is an interview Richard Williams gave at the 2005 Wimbledon. I have not followed him but from these 2 videos, he seems like a nice father/coach who knows what's important in life. He gave genuine comments and had realistic expectations about his daughters.
Could not believe TCF mentioned he overhyped his girls before. But as I said, I've never follow him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kar-GyIZwcg

BirdieLane 10-22-2012 07:45 AM

These are great. (change the "m." to "www." unless you are on a phone) I've seen them before but it's fun to see them pop up now and again.

I think Richard is a little crazy but you have to admit that he seemed to have a plan and be ahead of the game in these videos and his message and priorities seem pretty consistent in both.

There was an interesting SI writeup years ago on him that wasn't so favorable and apparently there is a new documentary coming out that Venus in particular is upset about how Richard is portrayed.

Just found the SI writeup. Pretty interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6052/index.htm

This is worth a look too...pretty neat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qnyi2phCpk

Richard is making a video to try and get some support from Vic Braden. Some great quotes:

"Playing with some guy...can't remember his name...PETE SAMPRAS, that's it." (pete was maybe 12ish?)

"Watching your tape, it says you'll be good by Friday. Guess, what, it's just Tuesday and look how good they got!"

Here's another great one...credit to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv2iG5iQp1o

10ismom 10-22-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieLane (Post 6968600)
These are great. (change the "m." to "www." unless you are on a phone) I've seen them before but it's fun to see them pop up now and again.

I think Richard is a little crazy but you have to admit that he seemed to have a plan and be ahead of the game in these videos and his message and priorities seem pretty consistent in both.

There was an interesting SI writeup years ago on him that wasn't so favorable and apparently there is a new documentary coming out that Venus in particular is upset about how Richard is portrayed.

Richard is making a video to try and get some support from Vic Braden. Some great quotes:

"Playing with some guy...can't remember his name...PETE SAMPRAS, that's it." (pete was maybe 12ish?)

"Watching your tape, it says you'll be good by Friday. Guess, what, it's just Tuesday and look how good they got!"

Thanks Birdie. I did not realize the 2 links I posted on this thread would only work on mobile devices. I think I was using the IPAD at the time.

I saw the video for Vic Braden and another one you posted too. I will read that SI article when work's not busy today.
It will be interesting to learn from this family for sure. The process of how he raised these 2 champions and their family value is noteworthy. Later on, after fame and money....their lives might be portrayed differently.

Number1Coach 10-22-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Thanx for sharing these , I like Richard a very simple mind with a very simple plan , i like how Serena said at 12 yrs you need to plan your life "goals" ect. Like i have said i have met to many 2nd year college students who still not sure why they are there.

Tennishacker 10-22-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Crazy to you, genius to me.

tacoben 10-22-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6968971)

Just wanted to share a short story of my wife's encounter with Mr. Williams....who I believe is misunderstood in the tennis world.

My daughter served as a ball kid pretty much the whole week of the Bank of the West at Stanford this last summer. My kid did not get to work the finals that Serena found her self in against Coco Vandeweghe, (who happened into the main draw as a "lucky loser")...but her ID Pass let her in for free. Not wanting to pay finals entrance fees, my wife and son watched from outside Tuabe Stadium on the big screen. Coco takes Serena to 7-5 in the first set and Mr. Williams seemed nervous as he stepped outside to take a smoke. He see's my son has fallen asleep on one of the benches and approached my wife to inquire if he is alright. My wife is shocked that he initiated in conversation with her. He says in short, "I just wanted to make sure your son is alright". They exchange pleasantries for a short while.

Pretty cool guy and apparently still gets nervous even though it was not a grand slam event. He goes back inside the stadium after finishing his smoke. By this time, my wife realizes that she failed to get an autograph and picture with him. :shock:

Serena wins the second set 6-3 for the Championship.

Tennishacker 10-22-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoben (Post 6969015)
Just wanted to share a short story of my wife's encounter with Mr. Williams....who I believe is misunderstood in the tennis world.

My daughter served as a ball kid pretty much the whole week of the Bank of the West at Stanford this last summer. My kid did not get to work the finals that Serena found her self in against Coco Vandeweghe, (who happened into the main draw as a "lucky loser")...but her ID Pass let her in for free. Not wanting to pay finals entrance fees, my wife and son watched from outside Tuabe Stadium on the big screen. Coco takes Serena to 7-5 in the first set and Mr. Williams seemed nervous as he stepped outside to take a smoke. He see's my son has fallen asleep on one of the benches and approached my wife to inquire if he is alright. My wife is shocked that he initiated in conversation with her. He says in short, "I just wanted to make sure your son is alright". They exchange pleasantries for a short while.

Pretty cool guy and apparently still gets nervous even though it was not a grand slam event. He goes back inside the stadium after finishing his smoke. By this time, my wife realizes that she failed to get an autograph and picture with him. :shock:

Serena wins the second set 6-3 for the Championship.

Nice story, btw, do you know the "mystical" sportsman, LeeD?

tacoben 10-22-2012 11:52 AM

^^^No, I don't know this legendary fellow you speak of...but have read some of his postings. I thinks he is a Bay Area guy?

Number1Coach 10-22-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 6968971)

I don't know if I read in the SI article or 1 of the videos but wasn't it said he would make the girls work hard passing out phone books and his wife Orecene was not liking it ? Also I believe he said the household was working hard at 2 yrfs old ?

Sound like the account my friend Mike Cole told me Serena and Venus were running a lot of windsprints early on in their lives , something about crazy work-ethics and top athletes !

coaching32yrs 10-22-2012 02:13 PM

I spent quite a bit of time talking to Richard at tournaments about 10 years ago. He was very much as described in the S.I. article. Trying to shock, exaggerating, making stuff up, and mixing in insightful smart comments on the tennis world and his girls. You can't believe anything he says, and you can't discount it either. I'd love to get the real story of how he developed 2 champion players- but I don't think we will ever get it from Richard.

Number1Coach 10-22-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 6969309)
I spent quite a bit of time talking to Richard at tournaments about 10 years ago. He was very much as described in the S.I. article. Trying to shock, exaggerating, making stuff up, and mixing in insightful smart comments on the tennis world and his girls. You can't believe anything he says, and you can't discount it either. I'd love to get the real story of how he developed 2 champion players- but I don't think we will ever get it from Richard.

Like i have said the guy that taught me my job knew them, in that he shot basketball next to where they hit tennisballs in Compton and the thing he told me was that man had those girls running a lot of windsprints when they were young like 8yrs old , After reading the article it just comes down to this have a plan and work as hard as you can towards that goal and make it happen .Richard did just that its not rocket science its just not in us here in the USA to think that anymore and its sad.

Number1Coach 10-23-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6970352)
Just not true. Tons of parents in America are obsessed with their kids sports. I see 6-7-8 year olds doing sprints, having trainers, working out as hard as the sisters ever did. Ever since Tiger was on the Mike Douglas show tons of parents have tried to duplicate what his dad did.

Boatloads of American kids work hard in many sports. I see basketball and football kids doing workouts that would make a grown man cry at 8 years old. The reason we have the top players in those sports is because our best athletes go into those sports as kids. Simple as that.

The reason we do not have any more Williams sisters is because they were lightning in a bottle...rare talent combined with hard work. Many girls have followed them who have worked just as hard. Some day another American great player will emerge, once again a combination of rare intangibles and hard work.

Sorry I looked at the videos did not see world class strokes at 8 yrs old Plain and Simple, didnt even see Super freak movement Plain and Simple as you have always claimed!!! In fact I hate to admit it but Jan Silva had better strokes then both of them at 5 yrs old so did that kid Tristen Once again the williams Strokes and Movment were very very average I said it 2 x's now "Average" !!

You have been in Fl. to long Venus and Serena were not a hurricane in a bottle or even a small water funnel off the coast they were definately average at best "video shows that" BUT their dad wasnt and there is were the magic was and to that I say "Thanx Richard Williams" for filming your daughters young and allowing all of us to see with a single mind , a goal and some hard work "you forced" on your kids from the time they were 2 yrs old Anyone can do it!!!!!

See you in Jupiter soon will be arriving in a week so hopefully i can finally see your girl and how unbelievable she is , bringing my video camera.

coaching32yrs 10-23-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6970424)
Sorry I looked at the videos did not see world class strokes at 8 yrs old Plain and Simple, didnt even see Super freak movement Plain and Simple as you have always claimed!!! In fact I hate to admit it but Jan Silva had better strokes then both of them at 5 yrs old so did that kid Tristen Once again the williams Strokes and Movment were very very average I said it 2 x's now "Average" !!

You have been in Fl. to long Venus and Serena were not a hurricane in a bottle or even a small water funnel off the coast they were definately average at best "video shows that" BUT their dad wasnt and there is were the magic was and to that I say "Thanx Richard Williams" for filming your daughters young and allowing all of us to see with a single mind , a goal and some hard work "you forced" on your kids from the time they were 2 yrs old Anyone can do it!!!!!

See you in Jupiter soon will be arriving in a week so hopefully i can finally see your girl and how unbelievable she is , bringing my video camera.

Macci has said that when he first started working with the Williams sisters he was not blown away by their strokes and ball striking. He was blown away by their athleticism. Obviously that is a self serving statement by Macci as it means he is responsible for creating their games. After all, Venus played 80 junior tournaments in Cal. and never lost. Serena lost once or twice.

ga tennis 10-23-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6970553)
Macci said he as blown away by the athletic ability at age 8-9......as did Paul Cohen at age 6-7....as did others.

Brad needs this fantasy that as long as he works his kid like a pack mule he will magically become Nadal.

ga tennis 10-23-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6970592)
Brad is saying the Williams sisters were nothing special, the only reason they got to the top was Richard Williams pushed them hard.

The truth is that Richard Williams did push them BUT everyone who saw them also said they were freak athletes. Many others have pushed lesser talented kids like Williams did and they failed....but we never hear about them.

For every Agassi and Williams that daddy pushing worked there are thousands more where it did not result in a top player.

Number1Coach 10-23-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 6970541)
Macci has said that when he first started working with the Williams sisters he was not blown away by their strokes and ball striking. He was blown away by their athleticism. Obviously that is a self serving statement by Macci as it means he is responsible for creating their games. After all, Venus played 80 junior tournaments in Cal. and never lost. Serena lost once or twice.

There was a young girl here in So.Cal and her dad was crazy and at 10years old he had his daughter press 140lbs on the bench and this girl was small but was strong as a bull , she would do 20 one arm push ups , I saw this with my own eyes and thought Damm,,, let me tell u he told me he started when she was like 5 yrs lifting ,,,My point had you or TCF saw her you guys and Macci would have been blown away by her strength "Freak" I know the behind the scenes 'Not Blown away"!

Mike Cole told me these girls were running Lots of sprints and by the time Macci saw the work he was blown away by athlecticism Why? Because he was used to rich white kids who never get pushed like this therefore it was amazing to him and Cohhen,,to me I know the behind the scenes "not blown away or supprized"

Number1Coach 10-23-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 6970576)
I agree you cant compare anyone's kids to the Williams. I hope Brad wasnt comparing Deit to Serena apples to Oranges.

No kidding she's a girl he is a boy he is far superior to her at that age and now , Like I said set the match up we will show up and she would get dismanteled right now ,She's a female .

ga tennis 10-23-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6970696)
No kidding she's a girl he is a boy he is far superior to her at that age and now , Like I said set the match up we will show up and she would get dismanteled right now ,She's a female .

ga tennis 10-23-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6970718)
At what age? Age 9-13? Serena would have destroyed your kid. I am not so sure he would win even today, no track record of him beating superior players, seems to come up small vs the top guys.

ga tennis 10-23-2012 09:52 AM

[quote=TCF;6970728]No one is 100% sure of anything on court. Superior physical attributes are meaningless.