Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Flattening Out w/ BHBR (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443626)

chrisberchris 10-21-2012 08:25 AM

Flattening Out w/ BHBR

Has anyone had trouble flattening out their shots with this string? I used it once and hated it, but I suspect that was because I had the tension too low. I also had trouble flattening out my shots when I wanted to hit a bullet or place the ball very specifically. I loved my backhand slice return of serve since it stayed really low so I want to try it again. Thoughts and experiences?

chrisyhy 10-21-2012 08:52 AM

I have to say I experienced the same thing. I strung it 50lb on my exo3 rebel 2009 and I just had a hard time hitting winners as I used to do. I somewhat feel that the string is too powerful that the dwell time is lacking when flatten it out.

chrisberchris 10-21-2012 08:57 AM

Well I strung it up at 50 initially, but my usual tension is 59 mains and 57 crosses. Maybe that would make a difference

freeez 10-21-2012 12:04 PM

For what it's worth, I use
BHBR16@58 on tf320
BHBR17 @50 to 52 on
dunlop 4d200 16x19
pb10 295(presently)
BHBR 17@60 tf295
i am very happy with this string and I've never had a problem flattening out my shots.

Fyrepower 10-21-2012 12:14 PM

I had BHBR strung at 56 and i never had trounle flattening out my shots. Just my 2 cents.

Torres 10-21-2012 12:15 PM

I've never had problems flattening out balls either, though I prefer the 16 over the 17.

This is a stroking mechanics issue anyway, nothing to do with the string. Just use less of an upward racquet path and extend out through the ball more, or turn your hand over more with a lower finish instead of up and over the shoulder.

Chotobaka 10-21-2012 12:20 PM

This is one of those recurring topics that always cracks me up. "Why can't I do this, why can't I do that?" Newsflash -- it isn't the strings.

jim e 10-21-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6967459)
This is one of those recurring topics that always cracks me up. "Why can't I do this, why can't I do that?" Newsflash -- it isn't the strings.

Nice answer Chotobaka.
I'm glad someone here has the courage to tell it like it is.

chrisberchris 10-21-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6967459)

Perhaps that is it, but I do not have trouble flattening out my shots with my other string choices, which I string at a much higher tension. I did not want to waste the money on buying a set of strings if this was a string problem opposed to a tension problem. I am no string expert, so that is why the question was posed. I appreciate your input though. I am glad you can asses my ability or lack thereof, by reading a short paragraph. That in itself is a great gift and I hope it gives you all the confidence you need when you log into the internet

MikeHitsHard93 10-21-2012 01:15 PM

String it higher then if you have no problem with other polyester strings at high tensions. Kinda seems like a no-brainer lol. Sorry

Chotobaka 10-21-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisberchris (Post 6967510)
Perhaps that is it, but I do not have trouble flattening out my shots with my other string choices, which I string at a much higher tension. I did not want to waste the money on buying a set of strings if this was a string problem opposed to a tension problem. I am no string expert, so that is why the question was posed. I appreciate your input though. I am glad you can asses my ability or lack thereof, by reading a short paragraph. That in itself is a great gift and I hope it gives you all the confidence you need when you log into the internet

You'd be better served using your energy to work on your game, and truly understand tennis, rather than wasting you sarcasm on me little man. BTW, it is still not the strings.

Magnetite 10-21-2012 06:04 PM

Hitting flat has nothing to do with your strings.

I hit flat all the time with BHBR, and I string it at 35lbs.

It must be psychological.

Magnetite 10-21-2012 06:06 PM

Maybe what you mean is that you find there is too much power, and when you flatten your shot out you hit it long?

If so dial up the tension.

chrisberchris 10-21-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6967886)
You'd be better served using your energy to work on your game, and truly understand tennis, rather than wasting you sarcasm on me little man. BTW, it is still not the strings.

Don't worry, I did not waste too much energy.

Thanks for the replies, I will try it again at a higher tension

Chotobaka 10-21-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6967498)
Nice answer Chotobaka.
I'm glad someone here has the courage to tell it like it is.

Thank you, man. I recently dealt with the inverse of this topic with a very promising 9th grader I am working with who is worrying about her game when she gets into high school competition -- no surprise, asking about poly strings.

This kid is an absolute monster and will run anyone near her age (male or female) off the court. She regularly abuses skilled grown men with her serve and forehand. After objectively explaining the pluses and minuses, and potential long term effects, of poly to her my final message was: " if you cannot play and hit every shot with synthetic gut, you have no business playing tennis".

She gets it. Smart and very talented kid who doesn't need placebo or a crutch. And doesn't live in fantasy-land.

COPEY 10-21-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6968092)
" if you cannot play and hit every shot with synthetic gut, you have no business playing tennis".

She gets it.

I don't lol. Unless what you meant to say was, "...you have no business playing with poly." Even at that I can't say I quite agree, but I definitely know what you're driving at...if you're referring to playing with poly, that is.

sansaephanh 10-22-2012 01:04 AM

I don't have a problem flattening out with any racket or string. Its whether it goes in or not thats the problem. BHBR actually was one of my favorite strings to flatten out cause it had the teeeeeeniest dip to make my shots in. Also made my kick bounce funnier then usual. =D

Chotobaka 10-22-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 6968182)
I don't lol. Unless what you meant to say was, "...you have no business playing with poly." Even at that I can't say I quite agree, but I definitely know what you're driving at...if you're referring to playing with poly, that is.

None of the above. Get a good nights sleep. And read my post while sober.

COPEY 10-22-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6968273)
None of the above. Get a good nights sleep. And read my post while sober.

Hehe with a clearance that exceeds TS/SCI, being six floors below ground on a military installation, I assure you, I'm quite sober.

I actually find it amusing when I read where posters claim they can't generate topspin/underspin with multis or synthetics, that they need poly in order to pull off a particular shot. There's certainly a significant difference at the ease in which you can produce spin with polys compared to synthetics/multis, but I agree that if someone claims a particular shot has run completely afoul because of a certain string, then the problem is not the string.

That said, there was in fact a hint of sarcasm in my reply to your "if you cannot play and hit every shot with synthetic gut, you have no business playing tennis". It just struck me as being a tad over the top. Sounds cool though if you're a 9th grader I suppose. I'm guessing you loved Mr. Miyagi in Karate kid and Cain in the television series Kung Fu, huh?

anubis 10-22-2012 10:26 AM

I hit flat and have no problems hitting flat with any string... but I also use an Eastern grip to do so. Maybe that's the key.