Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How often should I change polly? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443635)

Bergboy123 10-21-2012 11:29 AM

How often should I change polly?
 
I've played for six years and it's always been the case that I just change my strings when they snap. I've always used polly. Just for reference I'm about a high 4.0 player, playing 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week.

The thing is, my strings last me usually at least two months. I just read that they should be changed like every 10 hours or so though, which would be insanely different for me.

What are the pros/cons to changing/waiting with regards to strings?

And dunno if it matters but I have I MSV co-focus strings and a PDR.

LanEvo 10-21-2012 11:43 AM

You change them whenever they feel "Dead", ie no power, loss of control, not as much liveliness, etc., major changes that are easily tell-able from when it felt the best,from your strings.

If you feel they are fine, thinking you are not a hard hitter, then all the power to you.

db10s 10-21-2012 11:44 AM

Change em when the balls start flying.

Bergboy123 10-21-2012 12:23 PM

I play so much with so little string change that I honestly can't tell right now. I do know that some of my shots spray the heck out of the court a lot, but I thought that was mainly due to not watching the ball. I think what I'll do is get new strings in one of my rackets and see if I can see/feel the difference.

pvaudio 10-21-2012 01:51 PM

With all due respect, if you can't feel that your strings have lost playability after 2 months, you probably don't need to be using poly.

anubis 10-22-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergboy123 (Post 6967384)
I've played for six years and it's always been the case that I just change my strings when they snap. I've always used polly. Just for reference I'm about a high 4.0 player, playing 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week.

The thing is, my strings last me usually at least two months. I just read that they should be changed like every 10 hours or so though, which would be insanely different for me.

What are the pros/cons to changing/waiting with regards to strings?

And dunno if it matters but I have I MSV co-focus strings and a PDR.

If you don't notice a difference with your poly after 40 hours of play, then you probably won't notice a difference after 10 hours. You should be restringing after 10 to 20 hours with poly, but if it makes no difference to you (and you aren't hurting your arm or wrist by using dead poly), then save your money and keep on keeping along.

ATP100 10-22-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6967604)
With all due respect, if you can't feel that your strings have lost playability after 2 months, you probably don't need to be using poly.


That is what I was thinking.....you don't really need poly.

rafazx10 10-22-2012 08:03 PM

I would change as often as you can.
Usually they dont last me more than a handful of hours, but I ran out of sticks so I picked up an old one with poly that was there for a few years, and managed to hurt my wrist..... not worth it (maybe was a coincidence the wrist, but I like to blame on the strings).

Xizel 10-22-2012 08:08 PM

The age of strung poly isn't significant as how much it's been played with.

Timbo's hopeless slice 10-22-2012 08:13 PM

well, it may be that he uses poly for the spin potential, which remains largely unaffected when the strings go 'dead'

I use poly because I like it, not because I 'need' it, I am not convinced anyone truly 'needs' it if they are changing it out after 10 hours anyway...
(or do you really hit so hard you break anything else in that time?)

for the record, I don't have a set amount of hours, if I pick up a frame and its dead, I change 'em, but I don't really know how long that takes because I just grab the first frame to hand from my bag and they are all strung the same but at random intervals..(ie, if one feels bad, I cut it out, ok, break 'em on the net post, right then and there!)

treblings 10-22-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xizel (Post 6969931)
The age of strung poly isn't significant as how much it's been played with.

that would explain why i can still pickup my old iprestige with alu rough and play with it. the strings are in there for about two years, but i havenīt played a lot with it due to a change in racquets


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse