Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   startionary exercise bike - upright or recumbent(reclined)? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443689)

sportsfan1 10-22-2012 06:01 AM

startionary exercise bike - upright or recumbent(reclined)?

Looking to get an exercise bike and put it in the basement as an option for low impact and convenient time exercise. I have searched on the web, looked at reviews and also have my own experience from using these in the gym.

There is the traditional upright model which resembles the usual road bike, and then the reclined/recumbent with the lower seated with seat back. I like the upright, however many complain that the seat gets uncomfortable in this model and recommend the recumbent.
Anyone have thoughts on this or choices they made? What model do you have? Thanks for the input.

(Edit: Title has a typo, should say 'stationary', but can't fix it)

tennis_tater 10-22-2012 07:22 AM

Sorry I don't have any feedback for you, but I'm trying to decide between a recumbent or stationary bike, but also considering an elliptical or a Schwinn Airdyne bike as well. I look forward to reading any responses/input from others as well.

ollinger 10-22-2012 08:02 AM

Upright takes up less space, not as comfortable if you've ever had any back problems. Most prefer the recumbent for daily use as it's more comfortable.

LeeD 10-22-2012 09:21 AM

Upright by a mile.
This is for exercise, right? Upright, you can stand to peddle, using body, legs, some arms, and lower back muscles, in addition to seated spinning.
Unless you play your tennis in a wheel chair, in which case, recumbent for sure.

Vlad_C 10-22-2012 10:11 AM

^^ What he said.
If you're serious about your workout, then upright it must be.
The recumbent ones are ok for older guys with back injuries I guess. They're definitely more comfortable, but you're not going to get the same intensity of workout as with an upright.

I know exactly what you mean about the seat getting uncomfortable after a while... But on most models you can replace it with whatever bike seat you like.
I'm thinking about giving this a try:

LeeD 10-22-2012 10:44 AM

Instead of granny seats, try riding some hills. You stand up 15 strokes to relieve your seated burned out thighs, then sit for 50.
For 25 years, I used a SelleItaliaPro seat. Was fine, because I shift riding position depending on RPM, load, and efficientcy.
Now using a stock CannondaleCaad8 seat, which is fine up to 40 miles seated.
You get a much better workout from the standing position.
Seat yourself forwards for moderate climbs and moderate RPM's.
Seat yourself well back for downhills, and slower RMP's, stretching out your legs.

sportsfan1 10-22-2012 06:12 PM

I have myself been inclined towards the stationary upright bike however hesitant about it because many sites recommend recumbent, e.g. see halfway down the page at the link bicycleman upright vs recumbent

yeah, I am gonna look at replacement seats/additional cushioning definitely.

LeeD 10-22-2012 06:47 PM

Thought you were doing this for exercise.
Recumbents are great on the road. More rest, less energy used, more streamlined, need a flag.
But you're supposed to be exercising. Standing up and pedalling is the best workout. And you can sit. Shift back for lower rpm higher loads, up for spinning moderate loads, center for the lazy.
Yeah, lay down on a bed and do your exercise. That makes sense.

Vlad_C 10-23-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsfan1 (Post 6969757)
I have myself been inclined towards the stationary upright bike however hesitant about it because many sites recommend recumbent, e.g. see halfway down the page at the link bicycleman upright vs recumbent

yeah, I am gonna look at replacement seats/additional cushioning definitely.

The info on that website is mostly correct, although they might be a little biased toward the recumbent models because they only sell those...
But yes, there's no question that the recumbent bikes are more comfortable. The question really is, how comfortable do you want to be when you "work out".

The recumbent bikes are good if you want to isolate the legs and work only on your leg muscles.
The upright will give you a more complete workout, including arms, back, neck. Yes, it's not as comfortable, but again, it's supposed to be a workout, right?

I have personally tried both, at the gym.
At home I have an upright: Keiser M3. It is AWESOME!
My personal reasons for choosing the upright:
- it gives me a more complete and intense workout, and more of that "real bike" feel
- space constraints - the recumbent ones take too much space
- price - I got a sweet deal on a great bike.

FastFreddy 10-23-2012 07:54 AM

Upright is the only way to go.

ollinger 10-23-2012 09:15 AM

Let's not forget the erectile dysfunction issue associated with upright bike riding. In his pioneering work about 15 years ago, Dr. Irwin Goldstein at B.U. found a 4 % rate of impotence in bike riders versus 1 % in the control group, a consequence of pressure from the seat that damaged perineal arteries. Other studies since have found higher rates. I'd opt for the recumbent

LeeD 10-23-2012 11:07 AM

Some riders stand up.
Some rider's use those seats divided in two.
YOU, sitting 6+ hours a day at the computer, stand more chance.....

FastFreddy 10-23-2012 11:32 AM

nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6970652)
Let's not forget the erectile dysfunction issue associated with upright bike riding. In his pioneering work about 15 years ago, Dr. Irwin Goldstein at B.U. found a 4 % rate of impotence in bike riders versus 1 % in the control group, a consequence of pressure from the seat that damaged perineal arteries. Other studies since have found higher rates. I'd opt for the recumbent

If your seat tilt is correct and u stand up from time to time and buy good pair of bib shorts u r not going to have a problem. I think the only people would have the problen would be pro riders.

ollinger 10-23-2012 12:09 PM

^^ no....the clinic at B.U. and other clinics were seeing mostly recreational riders who had, well, gotten a flat.

dominikk1985 10-23-2012 12:34 PM

the erectile dysfunction thing becomes a problem if you spin 6 hours every day like a pro does. if you just use it for an hour 5 times a week this realy becomes a non issue.

I do outdoor cycling but if I had to decide I would take one of those spinning bikes. for endurance you use high cadences and for power medium cadences with a high gear.

ollinger 10-23-2012 01:03 PM

^^ I've unleashed a moron parade!! Have you read the work of Goldstein and others? Didn't think so. The risk was high for anyone who rides at least THREE HOURS A WEEK. I'm begging you, don't post again until you read the articles!

LeeD 10-23-2012 01:15 PM

You may believe the studies if you want.
Having lived 63 years, by age 12 I knew the studies can be askewed any which way, but the truth, which often is boring and inconsistent.
I never believed those university studies did anything at all, except pay for the researcher's and teacher's time.
OTOH, I"m at the end of the rope, so maybe my views will be ancient history soon enough.

Talker 10-23-2012 02:05 PM

I like the recumbent.
With the upright the most weight I can put on my legs is my body weight.

With the recumbent I can push against the back rest for additional force on the legs and move the seat forward so the legs stay bent more.

dominikk1985 10-24-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6971085)
^^ I've unleashed a moron parade!! Have you read the work of Goldstein and others? Didn't think so. The risk was high for anyone who rides at least THREE HOURS A WEEK. I'm begging you, don't post again until you read the articles!

no I don't care to read it. I don't need a study for everything. they also say tobacco and alcohol is bad for your erection and still millions of smokers have sex. some even play on the ATP tour:).

life is dangerous and ends deadly, we have to deal with that:)

maggmaster 10-24-2012 07:27 AM

Blah I generally don't like certain peoples negative attitude about pretty much everything but in this case they are right. The incidence rate of erectile dis function in recreational riders is higher.