Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Wilson T2000? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443750)

TeddyBear 10-22-2012 05:30 PM

Wilson T2000?
 
Can anyone give me the specs for it? And their positive opinion of it overall and how much it should be worth?

Mick 10-22-2012 05:47 PM

I recently found out there are two kinds of t2000, one for single handed players and one for double handed players. See the pic below.

I got these ones from the big auction site. the one the left looked like new when i got it and i paid $4.00 for it.


purple-n-gold 10-22-2012 06:10 PM

got the single-hdr, I'll weigh/bal it, gonna try and string it up soon,should be fun..

michael_1265 10-22-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyBear (Post 6969694)
Can anyone give me the specs for it? And their positive opinion of it overall and how much it should be worth?

It's a cool stick with a grand slam pedigree. Hard on the arm. Not worth much (maybe $10-$15 for a really clean one)

jonestim 10-22-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyBear (Post 6969694)
and how much it should be worth?

In the past year and a half I have seen at least one at just about every thrift shop I frequent, along with several T3000s. I have passed them up that were priced at $2. Prices on the auction site are often not more than that.

coachrick 10-22-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 6969727)
I recently found out there are two kinds of t2000, one for single handed players and one for double handed players. See the pic below.

I got these ones from the big auction site. the one the left looked like new when i got it and i paid $4.00 for it.


The pallets are interchangeable. If you have the desire, you could switch pallet lengths to suit one or two-handedness.

coachrick 10-22-2012 10:03 PM

I'll take a shot at the specs...
Too flexy
Kinda heavy with a head heavy balance(compared to current sticks)
That's all I got. :)

Mick 10-23-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 6970040)
The pallets are interchangeable. If you have the desire, you could switch pallet lengths to suit one or two-handedness.

Thanks, I didn't know that :)

Mick 10-23-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 6970043)
I'll take a shot at the specs...
Too flexy
Kinda heavy with a head heavy balance(compared to current sticks)
That's all I got. :)

the t2000 is a cool racquet because Jimmy Connors used it
but i like the t3000 better. it feels more stable than the t2000 to me.

LeeD 10-23-2012 04:46 PM

Yeah, you guys nailed it.
And don't forget, uncontrollable in serves.
At the '78 fast serve contest at GoldenGateway, Wilson lent the new 3000 for anyone willing to use them. Almost nobody did, as it was really weirdly aerodynamic, like no air drag at all.

big ted 10-24-2012 11:18 AM

the t2000 and most wooden racquets in that day all weighed about 12.8oz strung (for a 4 1/2 L version)

coachrick 10-25-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big ted (Post 6972787)
the t2000 and most wooden racquets in that day all weighed about 12.8oz strung (for a 4 1/2 L version)

That's pretty close, I'd say...depending on who was sticking on the stickers that day ;) .

First two T2000s I weighed today were 13 1/4 and 13 1/2, but the stickers are long gone.

Capt. Willie 10-26-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 6971454)
the t2000 is a cool racquet because Jimmy Connors used it
but i like the t3000 better. it feels more stable than the t2000 to me.

I haven't hit with one of these in well over 30 years but I always thought they were basically the same....the throat piece just being a marketing gimmick. But I did have a friend back in the day that used the T3000 and claimed it had better control. Personally I hated these things. If I *had* to use a metal racquet I'd go with any number of aluminum models.

Mick 10-26-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Willie (Post 6976980)
I haven't hit with one of these in well over 30 years but I always thought they were basically the same....the throat piece just being a marketing gimmick. But I did have a friend back in the day that used the T3000 and claimed it had better control. Personally I hated these things. If I *had* to use a metal racquet I'd go with any number of aluminum models.

I would only use it to play against those who are not as good as I am, so maybe that's why I think it is a nice racquet.

One time i did use it to play against a someone whom i had never played before and he turned out to be a superior player and I got destroyed but he would have destroyed me regardless of what kind of racquet i used. At least, he thought i lost because i used this t2000 racquet :-)

LeeD 10-26-2012 03:38 PM

Throat piece might be a marketing gimmick, but the added torsional stiffness of the T-3000 almost made it playable for average players.

Mick 10-26-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6977032)
Throat piece might be a marketing gimmick, but the added torsional stiffness of the T-3000 almost made it playable for average players.

you know, whenever i used it, the over 60 yrs old players would tell me they used to play with this racquet. So back in those days people probably didn't think that the t2000/t3000 racquets were that difficult to use. Nowadays, everybody thinks racquets from the seventies are unplayable. BreakPoint says he doesn't think Nadal can play with a Dunlop Maxply Fort :)

LeeD 10-26-2012 04:44 PM

Very few players better than B, or 4.5, would choose the T rackets after trying them. The exception is Connors, of course.
I can probably name over 30 decent players who tried that racket, and none used it after the first or second hit.
Torsional instability was only one of the problems. Lack of air drag was, for me, the worse problem. Just totally inconsistent!
Notice, thru all the years after the T's, nobody makes a racket with reduced air drag by going nothing on the throat. Prince Mono was horrid for guys with strong serves and fast swings.

Mick 10-26-2012 05:11 PM

for the women, Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals have played with the t2000 at one point.


tennistedd 10-27-2012 12:58 AM

The T-2000 was not a control frame, especially with its trampoline-line stringing design. It was very flexible in the throat, had a tiny head, tended to vibrate and was difficult to string. It may have been one of the worst racquets ever made. Jimmy Connors added lead tape to the top and to one side - which always had to be played in the up position - to improve its playability. Wilson sold millions of them and must have made millions as steel was cheap. After the initial craze, most players including pros switched back to wood or went to aluminum frames which were lighter and stiffer.

coachrick 10-27-2012 05:46 AM

We had a few top players in South Carolina using the T-series. The #1 woman in the state used it for a few years...absolutely elegant strokes. Played Victor Imperial blue spiral in it. The founder of the first tennis specialty store in the mid-state also used it for a while. Former NC State player and USPTA pro back when there weren't pros on every court in town. This guy's strokes were also smooth and uncomplicated(nothing like MY whippy topspin forehand).

I've told this story before. Yamaha put on a fast serve contest and the three top speeds were hit by A)Former UGA player using a Kramer Auto wood demo!; 2)ME...using a Fischer Superform; and C) a local teaching pro using a T3000 !!! The Yamaha rep was NOT pleased ;) !!

We even had players using the T-series long enough to wear through the 'wires'. Sent the rackets back(Chicago?) for re-wiring and they came back 'good as new'.

The Wilson T-series was a lot like the early Ford Escorts. No one would suggest they were engineering marvels; but they sure sold one heck of a lot of them! :)

Another story I'll repeat...after moving to Atlanta in '80, I'm pretty sure I NEVER had to re-string a T-series racket for a customer...they just disappeared. (I've got a half-dozen on hand that need re-stringing, but I haven't found myself in the mood :) .


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse