Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yonex Vcore Tour 97 "Light" (the 310 grams version) discussion thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443775)

rlau 10-23-2012 05:14 AM

Yonex Vcore Tour 97 "Light" (the 310 grams version) discussion thread

Hi,

I know there is some talk about this frame in the "Yonex Vcore Tour 89 and 97 specs" thread (here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413743), but that thread has grown so much I thought it might be a good idea to create a separate thread dedicated to the lighter version of the Vcore Tour 97 frame. This frame is currently not available in the US, but can be bought from Tennis Warehouse Europe.

I know there are a couple of users such as syke, westside and zumzool who own(ed) this stick.

Care to share your experiences with stick? What are the pros and cons? Please also provide background information, such as playing level, playing style, related racket experience, etc.

zumzool 10-23-2012 05:35 AM

I owned the 330g version.

rlau 10-23-2012 05:36 AM

@Zumzool, thanks for clarifying.

The guys at Stringers World (dot com) claim that it's very spin-friendly and better for moving the opponent around the court rather than blasting winners past your opponent.

So it's more of an all-court frame than a pure baseliner's frame?

zumzool 10-23-2012 05:52 AM

I think the SW comments are probably consistent with what I'm finding.

I too have problems blasting winners with the yonex, but it's great if you want to create short wicked angles to get your opponent moving off the court. The strength for me is at the net and on bh slices.

To give some perspective, I'm mainly playing with a Dunlop 4D 200 Tour. The 200 Tour is a punishing baseliners stick. The yonex is more for a finesse game imo. I'm still playing around with string setups and weight and would like to play with the yonex. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Geology_Rocks! 10-23-2012 01:22 PM

I'd like to know about the power level of the light version, how is it compared to the 4D300 for example?

Thanks

JackB1 01-24-2013 09:02 AM

very interested in this frame once it comes out. The specs look great...similar to my Dunlop Maxx 200g, but a little lighter.

rlau 01-24-2013 09:16 AM

So it's finally coming to the States too?

JackB1 01-24-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlau (Post 7158067)

next week.........

Boricua 01-24-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlau (Post 7158067)

Tw playtester told me it is a great frame with some similarity to the RDIS series. The 330 version was to heavy for me but has beautiful cosmetics. Just preordered two 310s one with pro line 2 the other with pro line 2 mains and pacific gut crosses both at mid tension. Initially TW is not bringing many so be aware of that limited amount in stock. But I think its a racket that has great specs and could be a best seller

JackB1 01-24-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 7158404)
Tw playtester told me it is a great frame with some similarity to the RDIS series. The 330 version was to heavy for me but has beautiful cosmetics. Just preordered two 310s one with pro line 2 the other with pro line 2 mains and pacific gut crosses both at mid tension. Initially TW is not bringing many so be aware of that limited amount in stock. But I think its a racket that has great specs and could be a best seller

I have been burned before by "great specs" not playing out so great on the court. The Prestige S comes to mind. So I refuse to buy a racquet without testing first. My main fear is the the stiffness rating of 67 is a bit on the high side. It may "play like" a 65 or a 69?

Boricua 01-24-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7158891)
I have been burned before by "great specs" not playing out so great on the court. The Prestige S comes to mind. So I refuse to buy a racquet without testing first. My main fear is the the stiffness rating of 67 is a bit on the high side. It may "play like" a 65 or a 69?

I cant test. The best I can do is buy and return and get 75 percent of original price from TW. Its a shame as I would like to demo. Anyway, I will venture with this 97 as I have tried many of the recent Yonex rackets and have an idea what to expect. I was tempted by the Head Extreme Pro and the Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour but that is an unknown territory for me. I demoed an Extreme Microgel about 5 years ago and played briefly with a Dunlop 100, thus little experience with those brands. So I went with the Vcore 97 and its advanced technology and quality, we will see. :)

NeverGassed1212 01-24-2013 04:37 PM

I just recently purchased some off the boards here without demo and really enjoy the frames. The 310 grams allowed me to apply my personal touches and end up with a frame at 348-349g weight strung. I also played in stock form and found it to be surprisingly stable. It is the best stick I have hit in a long time.

JackB1 01-24-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverGassed1212 (Post 7159549)
I just recently purchased some off the boards here without demo and really enjoy the frames. The 310 grams allowed me to apply my personal touches and end up with a frame at 348-349g weight strung. I also played in stock form and found it to be surprisingly stable. It is the best stick I have hit in a long time.

how is possible that you bought this off people here on the forum since its not even for sale yet?

McLovin 01-24-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7159584)
how is possible that you bought this off people here on the forum since its not even for sale yet?

I believe it has been for sale in Europe for a few months now. Not saying that is how he got a hold of his, but just that they are out there.

JackB1 01-24-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7159626)
I believe it has been for sale in Europe for a few months now. Not saying that is how he got a hold of his, but just that they are out there.

I didn't know that :-)

Can anyone that has the 310g version comment on the frames stiffness?

Boricua 01-24-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7159626)

I sense that Jack wants to get a demo of this 310 as soon as possible:).

McLovin 01-24-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 7159641)
I sense that Jack wants to get a demo of this 310 as soon as possible:).

He's going to have to wait in line. I put my order in ~ 10 minutes after it was listed on TW...

McLovin 01-24-2013 05:15 PM

Here you go: http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.co...XH-YVCT97.html

NeverGassed1212 01-24-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7159637)
I didn't know that :-)

Can anyone that has the 310g version comment on the frames stiffness?

It is definitely stiffer than the PSL that I had been using but not uncomfortable. I have all mine strung up with full poly set ups in the low 50's with the vibration stopper dampeners and can't complain. I think the microcore filling really helps counteract the frame stiffness. I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame. I agree that you really have to flatten out your shot if you want to blast someone off the court but I am now hitting more consistently deep in the court off both wings when backhand was really suffering for through my last couple of frames.

Boricua 01-25-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverGassed1212 (Post 7160024)
It is definitely stiffer than the PSL that I had been using but not uncomfortable. I have all mine strung up with full poly set ups in the low 50's with the vibration stopper dampeners and can't complain. I think the microcore filling really helps counteract the frame stiffness. I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame. I agree that you really have to flatten out your shot if you want to blast someone off the court but I am now hitting more consistently deep in the court off both wings when backhand was really suffering for through my last couple of frames.

"I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame."
Could you please elaborate a bit?

Have you thought using a hybrid with Pacific Classic gut in the crosses?