Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   tighter stringbed would mean... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443785)

heartattack 10-23-2012 09:16 AM

tighter stringbed would mean...

good pocketing??? anyone...

cluckcluck 10-23-2012 09:25 AM

More controlled shots.

melele 10-23-2012 09:42 AM

better string durability

cluckcluck 10-23-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 6970530)

Less pocketing at higher tensions.

anubis 10-23-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 6970530)

Less power, less trampoline effect. If you string really tight, you can swing as fast as you want and still keep the ball in play. But *you* have to generate the pace -- the strings won't help anymore. If you swing slowly, the ball doesn't go very far. But it's also really nice at the net when you're volleying: it's a lot easier to keep a high-pace ball in play with a volley.

heartattack 10-23-2012 11:52 AM

thnks! thats why ATP players change their racquet quite often.

3fees 10-23-2012 02:59 PM

More spin,, less power

tlm 10-23-2012 07:20 PM

I string tight and I agree with all the above.

TimothyO 10-23-2012 08:00 PM

Depending on the string, frame, tension, and your body it could also mean tennis elbow. Some can take flex 70+ frames strung with poly in the 60s. For others that would mean a season lost to TE.

One alternative to stringing tight is to use a stiffer string at lower tensions. There are different ways to skin the stringbed stiffness cat.

Xizel 10-23-2012 08:58 PM

Feels crisper. Lower rebound angle.

MikeHitsHard93 10-23-2012 09:09 PM

I would say a tad bit more feel

sansaephanh 10-24-2012 12:24 AM

geez this thread is all over the place. Someone stick up that TW link that states whats what.

tlm 10-24-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6970749)
Less power, less trampoline effect. If you string really tight, you can swing as fast as you want and still keep the ball in play. But *you* have to generate the pace -- the strings won't help anymore. If you swing slowly, the ball doesn't go very far. But it's also really nice at the net when you're volleying: it's a lot easier to keep a high-pace ball in play with a volley.

I feel that this post is very accurate, although according to many on this site they claim that the same or even better control can be had through low tension.

Stringers 10-24-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 6971198)
More spin,, less power

If I understand correctly, a higher tension doesn't produce more spin, correct? Just less power/time on the string bed I thought.

MikeHitsHard93 10-24-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringers (Post 6972458)
If I understand correctly, a higher tension doesn't produce more spin, correct? Just less power/time on the string bed I thought.

Yeah the reason why they get more spin or think they are is probably due to the fact that they are forced to swing fast

cluckcluck 10-24-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 6972548)
Yeah the reason why they get more spin or think they are is probably due to the fact that they are forced to swing fast

You are correct. Not to mention that the tighter the strings, the less they are able to move on each other. Mains would not be able to move and snap back as much.

rst 11-12-2012 08:23 PM

string tension doesnt force any any type of swing speed.

i dont know if inconsistent lower tension string on string movement produces more spin than more fixed in place tighter tensions. i find that tighter string certainly produce more slice spin for me.

if the ball squishes into tighter strings more i would guess more spin is achieved that way rahter than looser strings giving way in several directions.

pvaudio 11-12-2012 08:27 PM

What in the world? More spin, more feel, more durability? Um...

COPEY 11-12-2012 09:44 PM

Sometimes this is the best and worst place to come for advice and information lol.

ChicagoJack 11-12-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansaephanh (Post 6971823)
geez this thread is all over the place. Someone stick up that TW link that states whats what.

Hi sansaephanh - Your request obliged.

String Facts

- Lower string tensions generate more power (providing string movement does not occur).
- Higher string tensions generate more ball control (for experienced players).
- A longer string (or string plane area) produces more power.
- Decreased string density (fewer strings) generates more power.
- Thinner string generates more power.*
- More elastic strings generate more power.
- Softer strings, or strings with a softer coating, tend to vibrate less.
- Thinner strings tend to produce more spin.
- Increased string density (more strings) generates more control.
- The more elastic the string, the more tension loss in the racquet after the string job.**

* Although Wilson's research for their Sweetspot string disputes this statement.

**Pre-stretching aligns (stretches) the polymer chains in the string and "sets" the string, which reduces tension loss, albeit slightly. Generally, the more pre-stretching (prior to stringing) the less tension loss after stringing.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/BasicFacts.html

-Jack