Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Great stories from the Golden Era 1974-1984 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443807)

JAY1 10-23-2012 10:08 AM

Great stories from the Golden Era 1974-1984
 
I am putting together a list of great stories from what's widely regarded by the tennis experts as 'The Golden Era' 1974-1984. I would love you to share your favourite, outrageous, funny, unbelievable & shocking stories?
Some of you will dispute my claim that this was The Golden Era, but this was the period when tennis caught the public's imagination on and off the court.

A couple of stories to get it going....

*Connors & Evert, the 1974 Wimbledon & US Open Champions - Engaged.
*Transexual Rennee Richards plays the US women's singles after having previously played the US mens singles.
*The Italian fans outrageous behaviour in Rome at the Italian Open.
*McEnroe v Nastase night match at the US Open when Nastase gets defaulted and then reinstated with the original umpire having to leave the court.
*Bjorn Borg being pursued at Wimbledon by teenage girls like he's one of the Beatles.

I'm sure a lot of you can do better than me.........

kiki 10-23-2012 12:04 PM

I went to a party with Mac,Vitas,Adriano,Guillermo,Yannick and never girls were so easy...

JAY1 10-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6970959)
I went to a party with Mac,Vitas,Adriano,Guillermo,Yannick and never girls were so easy...

And who got lucky?

kiki 10-23-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAY1 (Post 6971110)
And who got lucky?

all of them, except me.:confused:

JAY1 10-23-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6971146)
all of them, except me.:confused:

Ha ha ha - I had feeling you were going to say that - It must have been their great strokes?!

kiki 10-23-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAY1 (Post 6971149)
Ha ha ha - I had feeling you were going to say that - It must have been their great strokes?!

Yes, they played them better on the dance´s floor than on court.

BTW, Mac empied like 2-3 full boxes of beer himself, although his buddy Gene Mayer, the greatest hamburger eater ever, helped him till he retired.Mayer was a pretty serious guy...

Ohˇˇ next day Mac beat Lendl in three tough sets, a memorable match.

Of course, Lendl was at bed by the time Mac opened up his first beer botle...

hoodjem 10-23-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6971213)
Yes, they played them better on the dance´s floor than on court.

BTW, Mac empied like 2-3 full boxes of beer himself, although his buddy Gene Mayer, the greatest hamburger eater ever, helped him till he retired.Mayer was a pretty serious guy...

Ohˇˇ next day Mac beat Lendl in three tough sets, a memorable match.

Of course, Lendl was at bed by the time Mac opened up his first beer botle...

What year was this?

Tshooter 10-23-2012 09:54 PM

I have some stories from attending several sessions of one of the great USOs. The NYTs did a story about that Open well worth reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...anted=all&_r=0

They left out some interesting details.

Anyone else go to the 1977 USO. They don't make them like that anymore...

treblings 10-23-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tshooter (Post 6971782)
I have some stories from attending several sessions of one of the great USOs. The NYTs did a story about that Open well worth reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...anted=all&_r=0

They left out some interesting details.

Anyone else go to the 1977 USO. They don't make them like that anymore...

thanks for sharing that link. i happen to own a spaghetti-strung racket, but have never played with it. i like the comparison to todays poly strings

JAY1 10-24-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tshooter (Post 6971782)
I have some stories from attending several sessions of one of the great USOs. The NYTs did a story about that Open well worth reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/ma...anted=all&_r=0

They left out some interesting details.

Anyone else go to the 1977 USO. They don't make them like that anymore...

I would love to hear the interesting details they left out please?

JAY1 10-24-2012 08:22 AM

How amazing is this?!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/magazine/the-chaotic-spectacle-of-the-1977-us-open.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&[/url]

kiki 10-24-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 6971374)
What year was this?

Early 80, s

JAY1 10-25-2012 01:29 AM

Did anyone know that during a Mcenroe match at the 1977 US Open a spectator got shot.......

kiki 10-25-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAY1 (Post 6973846)
Did anyone know that during a Mcenroe match at the 1977 US Open a spectator got shot.......

In his book Laver mentioned to play surrounded by soldiers after a coup d' etat during a pro tour in some southamerican country, I can' t recall which.There were plenty of them in the 60 and 70

kiki 10-25-2012 03:54 AM

Golden era IMO started in 74 till 89 but I would generally refeer to the whole 70 and 80 and first years of 90 for men
For women those 25 yrs spread from 75 to 2000

treblings 10-25-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6973934)
In his book Laver mentioned to play surrounded by soldiers after a coup d' etat during a pro tour in some southamerican country, I can' t recall which.There were plenty of them in the 60 and 70

in the 70´s there was a tournament in Lagos/nigeria every year.
if i remember correctly, they had a coup d´etat there one year during the tournament

JAY1 10-25-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6973937)
Golden era IMO started in 74 till 89 but I would generally refeer to the whole 70 and 80 and first years of 90 for men
For women those 25 yrs spread from 75 to 2000

I think I could be stretched to say the Golden Era was slightly longer than 84, but there was'nt quite the same excitement when Borg, Connors & McEnroe did'nt dominate the game anymore.
I think Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander & Cash were all good, but I would say they were more part of The Silver Era 1985 - 1991, on a par with Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe etc.
Anyway, I want to hear more stunning stories that just would'nt happen these days?!
Like when Noah was allegedly snorting coke off his wristbands during the French Open....

kiki 10-25-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 6973981)
in the 70´s there was a tournament in Lagos/nigeria every year.
if i remember correctly, they had a coup d´etat there one year during the tournament

Right I vaguely recall, but one must wonder at the lives lived by Von Cramm or Brookes to name a few

kiki 10-25-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAY1 (Post 6974004)
I think I could be stretched to say the Golden Era was slightly longer than 84, but there was'nt quite the same excitement when Borg, Connors & McEnroe did'nt dominate the game anymore.
I think Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Wilander & Cash were all good, but I would say they were more part of The Silver Era 1985 - 1991, on a par with Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe etc.
Anyway, I want to hear more stunning stories that just would'nt happen these days?!
Like when Noah was allegedly snorting coke off his wristbands during the French Open....

I agree but that silver is almost golden
Noah? He accussed Victor Pecci of doing what he was already doing.Noah is just a bunch of french ****

JAY1 10-26-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 6974713)
I agree but that silver is almost golden
Noah? He accussed Victor Pecci of doing what he was already doing.Noah is just a bunch of french ****

Why don't you like Noah, he always seemed and seems a nice guy?
Pecci did look a drog baron from a James Bond film...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse