Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Synthetic gut (nylon) has holds tension well and provides good feel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443830)

321lor 10-23-2012 01:44 PM

Synthetic gut (nylon) has holds tension well and provides good feel

Hello everybody,
As the title states, is anybody aware of a Synthetic gut (nylon) strings that would meet the following criteria:
1.holds tension well
2.provides good feel and a stable hit
3.strings do not move much
4.no "trampoline" effect, like some multi's
I tried a number of synthetic gut strings over the many years I played tennis, but I have yet to found such a string.
Many thanks for your feedback.:neutral:

psukhe 10-23-2012 02:16 PM

I found that a lot of syn guts play the same, but feel different. This is off my personal experience though. Other people may vary

If you want a good feeling syn gut, I would recommend forten sweet 16 for something a little more plush. If you want something more crisp, I d try gosen og sheep micro

corners 10-23-2012 02:24 PM

Gosen Micro 18 is my favorite nylon string. It meets all your criteria except for string movement. All synguts and multis will move around because they are soft-surfaced, get notched and get stuck out of place. Therefore, they are poor for spin when compared to copoly. The only exception is Prince Recoil 16, which was a 17g syngut with a teflon wrap. Did not get stuck out of place, gave good spin, but otherwise felt like a syngut Pretty nice string, I thought, but Prince discontinued it because it was unpopular due to its high price.

anubis 10-24-2012 09:21 AM

I love Babolat Nv.Y and Prince Original Syn Gut... my two fav syn guts.

Passion4Tennis 10-24-2012 11:32 AM

I've been using Prince original syn gut for years. I think it holds tension well, and I actually get decent spin from it. Forten Sweet is another good syn gut. It doesn't seem to hold its tension as good as PSG, but it's close, and it is definitely softer.

321lor 10-29-2012 03:10 PM

Thanks to all for your feedback.
I used Gosen extensively in the past and I found that it loses tension rapidly and within a few hours of play you have uneven response from the string bed. This happened to me even when using Gosen as a cross. On the other hand they last fairly long. I have not tried Forten, but some comments seem to suggest is fairly similar to Gosen, with maybe a softer, less lively feel..
I may try the Prince original, even if it seems to have a fairly stiff rating.

fortun8son 10-29-2012 09:33 PM

You may be surprised at how well good, old-fashioned TOA Leoina 66 performs.
It meets all of the above criteria.

321lor 10-30-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6983049)
You may be surprised at how well good, old-fashioned TOA Leoina 66 performs.
It meets all of the above criteria.

Hi,
Interesting that you mentioned it.
Actually I do have two sets of Leoina 66 and I used to play with it many years ago. The reason I have not put it on yet, is that I am now using a 18x20 racquet so I am thinking that its 1.40 mm thickness may cause some lack of feel? to bad it does not come in 17 gauge since it would be a winner.

The Meat 10-30-2012 01:34 PM

Just recently switched from the Gosen OG Sheep to the cheaper and more colorful(comes in red, blue, green, etc.) AG International 15l string. For like $18 a 660' reel, it gives you everything. Though the initial tension loss is bad, string it about 5 lbs higher than usual. The first hit will be stiff, but it gets better after that.

fortun8son 10-31-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 321lor (Post 6984391)
Hi,
Interesting that you mentioned it.
Actually I do have two sets of Leoina 66 and I used to play with it many years ago. The reason I have not put it on yet, is that I am now using a 18x20 racquet so I am thinking that its 1.40 mm thickness may cause some lack of feel? to bad it does not come in 17 gauge since it would be a winner.

Leoina 77 (1.30) is thinner and may work on the denser pattern.
OGSM17 works well on those 18M frames.
I use it mostly as a cross because it doesn't hold up that well fullbed in the more open patterns.

321lor 10-31-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 6985827)
Leoina 77 (1.30) is thinner and may work on the denser pattern.
OGSM17 works well on those 18M frames.
I use it mostly as a cross because it doesn't hold up that well fullbed in the more open patterns.

Thanks to you all for your recommendations.
I will certainly put on my list some of the strings you suggested, including the Leoina 77.
OGSM17 still did not perform as well on other 18x20 racquets I used in the past (basically rapid loss of tension and control), but I will give it another try in a hybrid.

pvaudio 10-31-2012 01:17 PM

No syn gut will not move. Just not possible, nor does it matter. Honestly, Bab N.Vy is your best bet. A bit pricey, but it plays like a multifilament.