Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What player to watch live and where to sit. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443847)

Jakesteroni 10-23-2012 03:48 PM

What player to watch live and where to sit.

I read a thread that ARFED wrote and it was in the same guidelines, but only related to Federer live. I'm curious since I'll be going to Indian Wells next year (2013), to see what day I will choose to go dependent on the match.
I went to this years Indian wells (first time going to a pro event) and made the mistake of not investing a bit more money to sit down closer but instead up in the nosebleeds where it looked like ping pong. So I vowed that if I'm going to go I'm going to do it right.

First, which pro would you recommend I'm thinking Nadal and which part of the court would you recommend? Behind the players? Middle?

svijk 10-23-2012 07:35 PM

Middle first row behind the baseline, no matter who u watch....if u can.
as a general rule, watch sports from the same direction as shown on tv...watching tennis from the side is ridiculous

Timbo's hopeless slice 10-23-2012 07:39 PM

Rafa. Especially if you are one of these couch bound morons who thinks he 'moonballs'

I agree with svijk, front row centre baseline, although I can live with being at the side, I just don't prefer it.

The Bawss 10-24-2012 12:06 AM

As close as possible, as near the middle of the baseline as possible. The closer you are to court level, the more amazing it looks.

underground 10-24-2012 05:19 AM

Watch Federer right behind the baseline, if he's on your side then you can watch his footwork and have a feel of how he plays. If he's on the opposite then you can feel the intimidation of his FH.

Gonzo_style 10-24-2012 05:23 AM

Ana Ivanovic, right behind the baseline!

Marcus2137 10-24-2012 06:16 AM

I love watching from the corner of the baseline, right on the corner of the court.

I find that if I'm on the side of the court, next to the netpost, you get a good feel for serve speed and ball height, but you totally loose the ability to perceive left and right angles.

If straight behind the baseline, you can really see speed and spins well, and watching the angles of the serves and groundstrokes is great. But I often loose the ability to perceive that ball height.

At the corner, I feel like I can see all the aspects of the ball position; height, speed, angles, curves/spins, etc.

Just my opinion, but I'll usually try to get front row seats right behind the corner of the court.

I just finished watching the China Open in Beijing, often sitting on the front row (and most of the venues aren't large, so you are really close to the court). The most impressive was Haas. There things about his hits/game that I never picked up on TV. The way he keeps a loose wrist and whips the racket more than many; the speed/pace and unbelievable flatness/spin-variety of his hits; the fact that for most of the game he didn't serve second serves, just 2 first serves back-to-back, his ability to hit incredible pace/winners off of the most unexpected balls (like low balls that are about to bounce a second time just as he runs them down, he doesn't just 'get them in'), and then somehow etc. He basically goes 'all-out' on every hit, and he was very impressive to see in person. Physically, I don't think many pros have him beat, he's that good. Mentally, I wonder what he could do/have done (not that he hasn't had a great career) with a more stable attitude.

RF20Lennon 10-24-2012 06:51 AM

Federer in the sidelines!!!!

jaggy 10-24-2012 06:54 AM

Julia Georges and anywhere close