Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringing Machine Differences $900-1500 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443866)

MagicalRain1 10-23-2012 11:46 PM

Stringing Machine Differences $900-1500

Hey, I'm looking to purchase a stringing machine at the price range of about $900-$1500. I was leaning more towards a table-top electric rather than a crank with a stand. My friend and I have been stringing our racquets on the Gamma X-6 for awhile now and he wants to upgrade to a crank, but I'm trying to save us money in the long run since I can afford this now.

I was just wondering, what are some of the better stringers at these price ranges $900, $1,200, and $1,500? And what are some key differences between them.

Thank you. I'd love any recommendations, but I am really looking for information before I make a bad decision.

fortun8son 10-24-2012 12:22 AM

Gamma Progression ELS fits right in there.
At $1200-$1500 I might still go with a Prince Neos.
The 1500 has better clamps and brake, but the 1000 is a workhorse, tried and true.
I'm a little leery of the less expensive electronic tensioners and you can always upgrade to a Wise later on.

Ramon 10-24-2012 04:21 AM

Read this link from the stickies on top of this forum:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=213946

Mansewerz explains how the table-top electric stringers in the lower price ranges are not constant pull. I have a table-top drop weight machine with fixed clamps, and personally, I'm going to hold out for an electronic constant pull machine on my next upgrade, which would probably start at around $2000 new.

Irvin 10-24-2012 05:08 AM

And what are your going to do the next time you want to upgrade? It will happen you can count on it. Looking at The Alpha Ghost is appears to have feet on the bottom so if you really want a table top for portability this would work.

http://alphatennis.webstarts.com/machine_ghost.html

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ht=Alpha+ghost

bsiegel 10-27-2012 04:55 PM

gamma 6400 vs neos 1000

Hi, forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. I wanted an active thread
even though this topic had been explored.

I really lean toward the simplicity of the Neos. less moving parts and therefore less to break. clamps are cheaper But.... ive been considering a second hand Gamma, so service issues would be of concern.

So ..... here's a point that hasn't been up for discussion. Is the "diablo" on the crank of the gamma 6400 a superior design on the gamma ? I think the neos does not have this.

Would this be an overiding reason to choose the Gamma. I will only be stringing for myself and this will be my first stringing experience, but im quite sure
mechanically i can handle either bc i have long experience in fixing things that quit or wear out ( except myself)

thanks in advance

Barry

Irvin 10-28-2012 02:39 AM

You don't have to buy a new stringer just to get a diablo. You could buy a Wise or better yet just the diablo. There are aftermarket diablos.

Here is the issue with no having a diablo. When the string is clacked in a [b]linear[/] gripper the angle going into the gripper is one value before tension is pulled on the string and the gripper itself mush withstand all the string tension. Wen tension is pulled on the string the angle of the string entering the gripper changes as the tensioner moves farther away. With a diablo the angle going into the gripper never changes and the round diablo an accommodate anle angle without damaging the string. The diablo also takes some of the pressure off the linear gripper when tensioning.

bsiegel 10-28-2012 04:08 AM

I'm also (god help me) considering an eagnas 300. So, where would I buy this aftermarket diablo ?

Another posit is this. I watched a strimger on the Neos 1000 yesterday and he never uses the brake. He swings the tension head arm in line and pulls. Are the Gamma tension heads on an independent arm or must you rotate the turntable (racket) ? Is the new Neos 1500 on a fixed arm ? Advantage to the older Neos1000 because you can independently swing the tension head about ?
And last one, I'm into retro rackets. Does smaller head size mean more hassle with a Gamma 6400 six point, cause holes closer on these rackets ?

Thanks a million

Irvin 10-28-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsiegel (Post 6978855)
I'm also (god help me) considering an eagnas 300. So, where would I buy this aftermarket diablo ?

Another posit is this. I watched a strimger on the Neos 1000 yesterday and he never uses the brake. He swings the tension head arm in line and pulls. Are the Gamma tension heads on an independent arm or must you rotate the turntable (racket) ? Is the new Neos 1500 on a fixed arm ? Advantage to the older Neos1000 because you can independently swing the tension head about ?
And last one, I'm into retro rackets. Does smaller head size mean more hassle with a Gamma 6400 six point, cause holes closer on these rackets ?

Thanks a million

The arm on a NEOS will not swing. I never use the brake on my Gamma either when I pull tension.

I did a quick Google search and could find an aftermarket diablo either. But a few years back there was a guy mention in RSI selling them. There have been others that made their own. You should be able to buy one from Wise and make it fit your gripper. There are two bolts going throughs you gripper to hold it together. Get longer bolts and make a new hole if one does work and mount it.

Spinaway 10-28-2012 03:28 PM

[quote=bsiegel;6978855]I'm also (god help me) considering an eagnas 300. So, where would I buy this aftermarket diablo ?

I have just finished making a Diablo for my crank stringer. Its branded Pro-Kennex but is in fact an Eagnas-700, which is very similar to an Eagnas-300. It was very straight forward to make and attach onto the angled support arm that the gripper pivots off. Found a pully with a nice profile for about $5 or so, and it is definitely nicer to string now with the Diablo fitted. I managed to position the pulley ok so that I still retained the 360-degree rotation, and i did trim away a bit of unnecessary metal off the throat mount bracket so that I can still get a close direct pull on the throat strings.

So no reason why you cant make your own if you do get the 300. I can post some pics if you have interest.

jim e 10-29-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsiegel (Post 6978855)

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...ry_news_6.html

Use this link above from the USRSA RSI article and go to bottom of page till you get to :
Gentle Jaws Stringing Machine Accessory Eliminates String Crushing
This is an add on diablo.