Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Main breaks same spot (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444037)

rd0707 10-25-2012 07:37 PM

Main breaks same spot

I use the prince ex03 tour. Up until now I usually played 5 hours then would cut it now. My last 4 string jobs I have played about an hour and the string has broken in the exact same place near the top of the frame on the exact same main. Any ideas why this is?

Irvin 10-25-2012 08:29 PM

Check to see if your string is cutting into the frame. You may want to start tubing the string where it goes around the frame.

rd0707 10-25-2012 08:33 PM

I don't understand. How do you tube it?

monkey-ranch 10-25-2012 08:34 PM

Try hitting on another spot or try hitting with the other side of the stringbed. ;)

On a more serious note, if its breaking near the frame is because when you hit too close to the edge, the stress is too much for the string to handle and it snaps. That has happened to many people including me. That means you are not hitting the sweetspot, you are a bit higher.

Well thats my explanation, im sure some other more expert members will give you another good reason why its happening.

Meanwhile, go eat a taco, enjoy!

monkey-ranch 10-25-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6975519)
Check to see if your string is cutting into the frame. You may want to start tubing the string where it goes around the frame.

Good point, maybe your grommets are "biting" the string and cause premature snaps. Also the top grommet is way too abused. Your stringer may know how to put some tubing. That is, if the grommets arent too bad. If they are, consider replacing them.

cluckcluck 10-25-2012 09:55 PM

Check your grommets. Are they splitting?

fortun8son 10-26-2012 02:13 AM

It's an EXO, grommets are not the problem.
Irvin's right about checking the frame/O-port, though.
The extra movement that the O-ports allow can cause sharp edges and grooves to form.
It's probably shearing from hitting too high on the frame on a regular basis.
Installing some nylon tubing can definitely help this.
Piece O' Cake on an O-Port.

Irvin 10-26-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd0707 (Post 6975529)
I don't understand. How do you tube it?

Put a 1" section of Teflon tubing on the string when stringing around the section where it is breaking. Prince rackets are make so the string pivots when it deflect is on the outside edge of the frame unlike a normal racket that has grommets. Putting a short section of tubing on the string will protect the abrasion of the string by the frame. When you string those rackets also pay particular attention to the grommets in the throat they have a tendency to cause problems when the string cuts through them also.

EDIT: You could use nylon tubing it is lower priced but Teflon is more pliable. Don't make the tubing so long it protrudes past the inside edge of the frame but it must be long enough to bend around all points where the string contacts the frame.

bcart1991 10-26-2012 07:23 AM

You mean like this (all in the same week)?

Irvin 10-26-2012 11:57 AM

those breaks are not related to shear or O Port issues. Those all appear to be normal breaks to me. Hit easier with less spin or switch to a more durable string. Better yet keep on doing what your doing.

Roger Wawrinka 10-26-2012 03:06 PM

^^^^ If you are still unsure how to use teflon tubing, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=040W5r8F04w

Irvin 10-26-2012 04:54 PM

Here is what I was talking about notice the tubing on Isner's racket:

bcart1991 10-28-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6976542)
those breaks are not related to shear or O Port issues. Those all appear to be normal breaks to me. Hit easier with less spin or switch to a more durable string. Better yet keep on doing what your doing.

Oh, I know. I just like posting that picture. After that, I swore off the Gamma Garbage. A couple of those jobs were barely an hour old.

Irvin 10-29-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcart1991 (Post 6980743)
Oh, I know. I just like posting that picture. After that, I swore off the Gamma Garbage. A couple of those jobs were barely an hour old.

That depends on the Gamma garbage you are using. 17 gauge synthetic gut w/weargaurd is not a good string for string breakers.

mikeler 10-29-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6981125)
That depends on the Gamma garbage you are using. 17 gauge synthetic gut w/weargaurd is not a good string for string breakers.

Like PVAudio says, the only thing WearGuard does is wear out your wallet. :)

fortun8son 10-29-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6981287)
Like PVAudio says, the only thing WearGuard does is wear out your wallet. :)

Makes one wonder why it's still around.
Somebody has to like it.

Irvin 10-29-2012 02:36 PM

^^I have several people that like it but they are low level players and not string breakers. I think it is similar to PSGD but softer.

anubis 10-29-2012 06:42 PM

That area is not indicative of miss-hits. Looks like you're notching the string somehow. Check your clamps, recalibrate them, clean them.