Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Leather wasn't for me, just switched back (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444069)

robbo1970 10-26-2012 07:50 AM

Leather wasn't for me, just switched back

I have always prefered the feel of a leather grip under and overgrip and in the past it has suited the rackets I have used in terms of their pre-leather weight and balance.

However, I tried one on my Bio 300 and it just did not feel right. I don't know why and I can't really out my finger on what it was, but it just seemed like the racket didnt have the balance it was supposed to have.

I have therefore switched back and it feels so much better. I know these things are always very personal but it is nice when a racket is just right in its stock form...more or less. I say more or less because I refrained from putting a Gecko Tac on, theyre just too tacky.

But fortunately in the UK Dunlop make a replacement grip called the Biomimetic Tour. Its very similar to the Hydramax Tour but very slightly tackier, so now my racket is fully Bio :)

Has anyone else felt the need to switch away from leather and back to synthetic? If so, what synthetic do you use?

808 10-26-2012 01:05 PM

I used to use Babolat leather on my EXO Tours, but have since switched back to the stock synth grip. I like a less headlight balance a bit better.

When it comes to synthetic grips I prefer Prince Resi Pro (stock on the EXO), Babolat Syntec (stock grip on a Pure Drive) and Babolat Skin Feel (for reduced width and weight).

If you want the feel of leather (with overgrip of course) without the weight then try the (kinda newish) Head Synthetic Leather grip.

TonyB 10-26-2012 02:12 PM

Once I got re-acquainted with the Gamma Hi-Tech grip after using leather for years, I will never use anything else. The Gamma grip is absolutely perfect and doesn't need an overgrip.

If you're looking for a synthetic that LASTS and has good comfort, try the Hi-tech. For me, I had to change overgrips on my leather every week or two. Now I've been using the Gamma grip without an overgrip for more than a month and it looks hardly used at all. I'll probably end up getting 6 months out of this grip for a measly $5. Compare that to switching overgrips every week for $1.50 and it really adds up to a significant savings.

Besides the cost savings, it's really a great performing tacky grip.

robbo1970 10-26-2012 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. Ive always used an overgrip with leather but I must admit nthey never quite have that same feel as most sythetic grips, for some reason the grip/traction/tack on the synthetic grip always seems to feel the best. I usually use supergrap as that seems to be the closest replicant to the feel of a synthetic grip.

The Head Synthetic leather sounds interesting though, it certainly was the extra weight that made the racket feel a bit off.

Winners or Errors 12-30-2012 06:39 PM

Why not just re-balance the racquet with lead?

Chotobaka 12-30-2012 07:12 PM

Back in the day I would have never played with anything other than a leather grip. I recently put Pacific calf leather (really nice quality grip) on my Fischer Pro No 1 SL and while I have been trying to love it, my preferences have changed and it just isn't for me anymore. I will probably go with a Pacific Master Grip or Babolat Skin Feel. The Skin Feel sort of splits the difference between synthetic and leather with a tight, flat wrap. Tecnifibre's X-tra is another good one. There really are terrific synthetic grips is every flavor these days.