Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   An interesting story about ratings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444115)

dizzlmcwizzl 10-26-2012 04:26 PM

An interesting story about ratings

At least I think it is interesting.

My doubles partner is very close to getting bumped from 4.0 to 4.5. Last year he was an early start 4.5 in October but a year end 4.0 in November.

This year we again won our district and went to sectionals ... he is again an early start 4.5 this year ... but this is where the story gets interesting.

On the first Friday of sectionals we split two very tight matches, each going to the 3rd set match tiebreaker. At the end of the day he fainted, fell down had a concussion and spent the night vomiting. He did not play either match on Saturday, but his brother did winning two matches. However, the coordinators got the names switched and entered my partner as having won those two matches in sectionals on the day he did not play.

Then on Sunday in our final match at sectionals my partner decided he was going to play come hell or high water. He played with someone else and was spanked, probably because he was sore and woozy .... however the coordinator did not enter any of the match results from Sunday ... I think because the champion had already been decided.

So the summary is that my partner who is very close to getting the bump is getting credit for two wins at sectionals he did not play and in the match he was spanked he is not getting the "ratings harm" he would get.

From what I think I know about USTA ratings ... these matches at sectionals carry a lot of weight in his year end rating ... which in this circumstance would cause his rating to be inflated. Particularly troubling is that for someone very close to the line this certainly could push someone up or down.

What is surprising (or perhaps not) is that 5 e-mails to the section coordinator to have the issue resolved have gone unanswered.

corbind 10-26-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6977111)
What is surprising (or perhaps not) is that 5 e-mails to the section coordinator to have the issue resolved have gone unanswered.

It's not even my deal and I'm aggravated with it...

floridatennisdude 10-27-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 6977404)
It's not even my deal and I'm aggravated with it...

I wouldn't sweat it. It gives some juice to an appeal.

OrangePower 10-27-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6977111)
So the summary is that my partner who is very close to getting the bump is getting credit for two wins at sectionals he did not play and in the match he was spanked he is not getting the "ratings harm" he would get.

Presumably he is estatic, since now he is more likely to be bumped and get to play challenging tennis and better quality tennis, no?

Or is he upset since he may no longer get to beat up on weaker players? (by definition if he is close to 4.5 boundary, then he is stronger than the vast majority of 4.0s)

dizzlmcwizzl 10-27-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6977891)
Presumably he is estatic, since now he is more likely to be bumped and get to play challenging tennis and better quality tennis, no?

Or is he upset since he may no longer get to beat up on weaker players? (by definition if he is close to 4.5 boundary, then he is stronger than the vast majority of 4.0s)

Actually in his case I think he wants the bump, which seems counter intuitive I know. It is his brother is upset that he is not getting credit for his wins.

His brother will be ****ed if we get bumped and he does not.

OrangePower 10-27-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6977895)
Actually in his case I think he wants the bump, which seems counter intuitive I know. It is his brother is upset that he is not getting credit for his wins.

His brother will be ****ed if we get bumped and he does not.

Not counter intuitive; people who like to be challenged and want to improve will welcome the bump. Good for your partner.

Many people though are more ego-driven and would rather be best of the worst than worst of the best.

So to be honest I assumed the latter but am happy I was wrong.

JLyon 10-27-2012 02:07 PM

you should be contacting the State Coordinator and have it changed, if he did not play those matches

dizzlmcwizzl 10-27-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 6978295)
you should be contacting the State Coordinator and have it changed, if he did not play those matches

Done ... and also contacted the woman in charge of the section ratings stuff .... nothing!

Cindysphinx 10-27-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6978522)
Done ... and also contacted the woman in charge of the section ratings stuff .... nothing!

Easy.

Mention it to a few captains of opposing teams.

The outcry will be sufficiently loud and anguished to get the matter resolved.

heninfan99 10-28-2012 05:31 AM

The coordinator will eventually just direct him to a form to contest his rating and those matches.

He must love the game to have a concussion and want to play a few days later.

dizzlmcwizzl 10-28-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 6978575)
Easy.

Mention it to a few captains of opposing teams.

The outcry will be sufficiently loud and anguished to get the matter resolved.

This might in fact work, except the other captains would welcome him getting bumped up ...

Last year when half our team was early start bumped and then year end moved back down, she received lots of complaints. SO I doubt anyone would claim he is unfairly getting bonus points for sectionals.

JoelDali 10-28-2012 12:03 PM

Most of the Atlantic region Craigslist 5.0s got bumped to 4.0 this year.

Devastating for league tennis and the future of hi-level Craigslist players.

dennis10is 10-28-2012 07:08 PM

Blame Obama!

As Romney so eloquently stated "The USTA North East is filled with tumult". Only a strong leader, not an appologist, with a comprehensive vision can bring order back to that sector of the USTA.

Cindysphinx 10-28-2012 07:26 PM

Let USTA go bankrupt.

JoelDali 10-29-2012 04:52 AM

Can a Craigslist 5.0 play 9.0 Mixed or do they need a USTA rating?

dizzlmcwizzl 12-02-2012 08:37 AM

Continuing the saga ... prior to the new ratings being published the middles states did not change the inaccurately entered match results, nor did they input the the last matches played at sectionals into the computer.

Our captain complained a 5th time and the woman in charge of ratings for middle states said ... "it only really matters for 2 guys, one bumped, one not".

Anywho, our captain is pushing to get the scores corrected. The middles states lady now claims she will send the corrected scores to the national organization and see if their ratings get changed.

We will see ... but it sure is frustrating trying to get the USTA to simply be accurate.

Winning Ugly 12-02-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7042734)
Our captain complained a 5th time and the woman in charge of ratings for middle states said ... "it only really matters for 2 guys, one bumped, one not".

Anywho, our captain is pushing to get the scores corrected. The middles states lady now claims she will send the corrected scores to the national organization and see if their ratings get changed.

We will see ... but it sure is frustrating trying to get the USTA to simply be accurate.

Hmmm...

If this is who I think it is...the "response" is not surprising...

dizzlmcwizzl 12-02-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winning Ugly (Post 7043208)
Hmmm...

If this is who I think it is...the "response" is not surprising...

I am sure it is who you think it is.

I will point out that since Friday tennis link is now corrected. This change occurred after the new ratings were published. I doubt we will ever know if anyone took the time to see if the correct match results actually changed either of the affected parties up or down.

bobbything 12-03-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 6977891)

It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. He could be winning 7 out of 10 matches and many of them could still be competitive. Typically in my experience, when someone is on the fence, they are having very good, competitive matches at their level; they just happen to be winning the majority of them. We've had a number of guys get the boot from 4.5 to 5.0 who had very close, quality matches but were on the winning end. Then they go to 5.0 and maybe win 1 out of every 5 matches, with the 4 losses being relatively lopsided.

Personally, I'd rather have competitive matches and win than have lopsided matches and lose.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-03-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 7044230)
Personally, I'd rather have competitive matches and win than have lopsided matches and lose.

Perhaps the least needed sentence in the history of TT .... :)