Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tennis Elbow and Strings? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444124)

joe49n 10-26-2012 08:42 PM

Tennis Elbow and Strings?

Many, many years ago I had a bad case of tennis elbow. I gave up tennis for almost a year. I switched to a very light racquet, the Volkl Catapult 3. It was great. No more tennis elbow. About a year ago I started using Dunlop Sport Explosive Hybrid 16 gauge strings. I don't know if it is coincidence, but my tennis elbow is back, not as bad as I had it before. Is it possible that certain strings are worse than others for tennis elbow? If so, what string type, brand, etc., is used by people with tennis elbow that is helping them?

hisrob777 10-26-2012 09:52 PM

Soft polys in a hybrid with a multi filament. Or full multifilament. If your level is improving you may want a heavier racquet.

LeeD 10-26-2012 11:22 PM

What's the string tension? Should be on the lower range, mid to high 40's, for people with tender tendons.

mikeler 10-27-2012 03:10 AM

Ditch polyester strings if your arm hurts.

LiBai1 10-29-2012 11:29 PM

You can probably get good answers by posting the question in the String's board.

Ramon 10-30-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiBai1 (Post 6983147)
You can probably get good answers by posting the question in the String's board.

I can already tell you everything the String board will say:

1. Try natural gut
2. Try soft multifilaments
3. Poly is bad
4. Poly isn't that bad if you string it low.
5. It's not the strings, it's your bad form.
6. Why don't you just hit the ball in the sweetspot every time!

floridatennisdude 10-30-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6977528)
Ditch polyester strings if your arm hurts.

Second this. I fully blame Luxillon for the creaking in my wrist and the occasional pop in my elbow. As much as I loved the performance of poly, I'm in a synthetic gut/multi filament hybrid for the foreseeable future.

3fees 10-30-2012 08:03 AM

Strength train your arms,,also pronation/supination exercises,,be advised its years of exercises.

PeteD 10-30-2012 05:11 PM

My arm was literally in a sling, then lowering tension worked. Also, don't let your strings get old, and use new balls.

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-30-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6983393)

1. Try natural gut
3. Poly is bad

#6 is the advice that makes the most sense.

Ramon 10-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6984924)

Yeah, that's always one of my favorites! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6983393)

1. Try natural gut
3. Poly is bad

Here's my take on these points that are always brought up:

#1-3 -- True
#4 -- False
#5 -- Conditionally True if you have terrible form, which I can spot from a mile away
#6 -- LOL. Seriously, we have an obligation to give these guys a bunch of crap when they say stuff like that!

5263 10-30-2012 08:29 PM

Imo it is far more about your form. If your form leads to a tight grip at contact,
then imo you are more likely to get TE.
Yes, certain strings and rackets can put you more at risk if your form is not up
to par.

mikeler 10-31-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6984942)
Yeah, that's always one of my favorites! :lol:

Here's my take on these points that are always brought up:

#1-3 -- True
#4 -- False
#5 -- Conditionally True if you have terrible form, which I can spot from a mile away
#6 -- LOL. Seriously, we have an obligation to give these guys a bunch of crap when they say stuff like that!

My arm agrees with your answer on #4.

Ramon 10-31-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 6985094)
Imo it is far more about your form. If your form leads to a tight grip at contact,
then imo you are more likely to get TE.
Yes, certain strings and rackets can put you more at risk if your form is not up
to par.

I don't deny that bad form can wreck your arm, but I don't think it's that prevalent among advanced players. Age and genetics have a lot to do with it. If you're playing with poly and have no problems, you can count yourself among those fortunate individuals with good genetics.

It's very tough to pick apart my form. It's almost textbook, and I don't grip tightly until contact. I've worked with the pro at my local club who was once a highly ranked tour player and has classic form. I think it's more of a matter of me taking fast swings and having thin bones and joints. I've done a lot to develop my muscles in those areas, but I don't know of an exercise that will build up bones and cartilage.

Bottom line is I can't think of ONE instance (forum, in person, or otherwise) where I heard anyone with a history of tennis elbow say that they improved their form and can now hit with a stiff frame and poly strings. On this forum, you can easily find dozens of testimonials from people who got rid of their tennis elbow simply by changing equipment.

floridatennisdude 10-31-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6984924)

If it were physically possible, it may have some relevance. Seeing as there are zero players ever to do it... Bad plan

3fees 10-31-2012 03:23 PM

Agree lower tension-softer strings will help.

slowfox 10-31-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6985480)
On this forum, you can easily find dozens of testimonials from people who got rid of their tennis elbow simply by changing equipment.

Just read any Pro Kennex thread.. lol

mbm0912 12-09-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6977438)
What's the string tension? Should be on the lower range, mid to high 40's, for people with tender tendons.

I may need to go lower then. I'm at around 58 lbs., where my racquet recommends 62. I'm playing with a Prince Multifilament string which should be designed to be very arm friendly. My arm is killing me today!

LeeD 12-09-2012 12:23 PM

58? Drop 8 right off the bat, unless your racket is an OS, then drop 4.
You have elbow problems, why use such high tensions?

Chas Tennis 12-09-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbm0912 (Post 7054665)
.................... My arm is killing me today!

You should not play with a tennis elbow injury or otherwise stress it.

Search the many threads in this forum for information on TE & Golfer's Elbow. Also search tendinosis (defective healing) and tendinitis (with inflammation).