Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Collectors? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444169)

tennis12 10-27-2012 12:43 PM

Collectors?

Any old racquet collectors here? I am doing an english report on racquet collections and could really use an interview with a collector. just a few questions about your collection
1) When did you start collecting?
2) Why did you choose to collect racquets?
3) How many racquets do you have and/or how much is your collection worth?
4) What is your favorite or most valuable racquet and why?
5) Is there any racquet that you wish to add to your collection and why?
6) Who are favorite tennis players and why?
If you have anything else to add about your collection i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

zapvor 10-27-2012 04:58 PM

ooo cool. yea i am a collector. not an addict or anything

to answer a couple questions
1. i started about 5yrs ago
2. it started with one racket, then i decided to get other ones. oops!
3. rather no disclose. easily thousands
4. this si tough. no clear favorite
5. so many!!!!!! the white adidas one, lacoste equijet, and a couple others
5. see my avatar

pshulam 10-27-2012 06:34 PM

Jan 2009
It started picking up a classic for a relative cheap price, e.g., $5. A classic racquet provides stability, comfort, and control that are unmatched by modern racquets.
The feel of a classic racquet is addictive. Once you are hooked, it's hard to resist the temptation to acquire more.
I have only 8 racquets now. They are valued about $300. However, I used to own over 28 racquets valued more than $1K. The most expensive racquets are the early head prestige series, e.g., Head TXP, Prestige Pro, Prestige 600, Prestige clasic 600, etc.
As mentioned in 3), my favorites are the Head Prestige series. These racquets offer exceptional feel, precision and stability.
Too many to list.
I do not have.

MAXXply 10-27-2012 07:52 PM

To acquire the rackets I had always wanted as a child/teen but could not easily obtain in the pre-Internet days.
To own, use and appreciate equipment in the sport that has been an indelible part of my life.

3) How much is your collection worth?
Only as much as someone else is willing to pay. Only as much or as little as I am willing to accept from a buyer at the time I choose to sell.
Some opportunist collectors slavishly hunt down unloved rackets only after seeing what a particular stick fetched during a bidding war. Then they try and flip a similar racket only to discover no-one wants their one. It's all in the timing.
Some rackets are inherently priceless to people. It helps to be dispassionate in your attitude to material possessions but I can be irrational too ("Trade my new C10 Pro for a beat-up POG 4-Stripe? Yeah sure! I'm willing to drop $159")
Be content to have a collection that gives you innate pleasure and that self-satisfied feeling that makes you silently fist-pump and high-five yourself when nobody's watching. Be content to have a collection that can, at best, be a self-financing hobby for you. At the end of the day, unless you're Mr Hall of Fame Rackets and in it for the longhaul, tennis racket "collecting" is like doing Beanie Babies or trying to sell vintage, stupidly overhyped sneakers on auction sites. Life's too short for that.
(Note to self: these self-revelatory comments may have officially marked the beginning of MAXXply's mid-life crisis)

Favourite = Foam-filled POG Mids, Yamaha White Gold 100. Perfect feel/mold/beam for me.

Stellar (Australia) Black Diamond - wood/fibreglass composite and Stellar Black Opal - graphite composite with torsional crossbar. If anyone has either, sell it to me and you will never have to work again.

jazar 10-28-2012 12:02 AM

I first started about 3 or 4 years ago, but I've stepped it up a little more over the last year.

I find the history of rackets fascinating and prefer hitting with older frames than modern ones.

I have 30 rackets, but always looking to add more. Value is a difficult one. Most of the rackets I've got on the cheap, but they are worth more to me than what I paid for them.

Not an old racket, but a rather modern one. One of Bob Bryan's rackets signed by both Bryan brothers.

My collection is still in its infancy, so there are a lot of rackets I would like to add to it.

ritton07 10-28-2012 12:43 AM

...Hi ! ,
1) I started collecting around 5 years ago,
2) I saw by chance a nice woodie on the main auction site and I thought it was nice to find a mint JK Pro Staff, the model I used in the early 80s,...and then, other models, too..
3) I have around 250 frames, 90% of them new or mint, I presume they worth some thousands dollars,
4) My favorite rackets are all the most famous wooden ones of the late 70s-early 80s, the most valuable ones,..Lendl adidas GTXs, …Becker Pumas,…Pro Staffs 85,…the Head Prestige Pro lineage,…the early Prince Graphites,..
5) I would like to find a new Head Radical Tour OS (the bumblebee one)
6) My favorite tennis players are Borg, Mc Enroe, Connors, Gerulaitis and Vilas, .. the ones that…ruled the tennis world in the early 80s ! :)

TCTEN 10-28-2012 10:29 AM

When did you start collecting?
About a year ago, at the time I was in search of a new frame due to some elbow soreness that I had attributed to the K factor frames I had been using. While demoing some new sticks at my club I stumbled upon an old Puma Becker model (Winner) and after hitting with it I was hooked.
Why did you choose to collect racquets?
I've been playing for 35+ years during which time there has been a remarkable evolution in racquet technology, an amazing variety of sizes, shapes, materials etc. Unfortunately my budget didn't allow me to purchase all of the frames that I would have liked as most of them were rather expensive when they were new. When I realized how inexpensively they can be had at thrift/2nd hand stores now however, I was intrigued.
How many racquets do you have and/or how much is your collection worth?
I currently have about 40, the vast majority of which were sub $6 thrift store finds. A few others were purchased from local sellers and a couple from the big auction site. I have not paid over $50 for any of them and only 2 were close to that. I don't really know how much the collection is worth due to the fact that I'm not really interested in selling them.
What is your favorite or most valuable racquet and why?
It's really difficult to pick a favorite but I can narrow it down to 3, my " Head Vilas" woodie, "Dunlop 200g" and, the previously mentioned "Puma Becker Winner". The most valuable would be my NOS never used "Puma Becker Super" which btw is the only one I've never hit with.
Is there any racquet that you wish to add to your collection and why?
Who are favorite tennis players and why?

I'm going to respond to the last 2 questions together due to the fact that my answers for both tie in. The one racquet I would like to most add would be a "Wilson PS 85" with the "PS Classic" paint scheme that the Edberg frames had. Edberg also happens to be my favorite player (notice my avatar) for several reasons besides his record, I've always liked "serve and volley" players and in my opinion he was second to none in that style of play, he was as graceful a player as I've ever seen and lastly, he was the consummate sportsman and picture of class on the court.

PS:Good luck with your report:)

gavna 10-28-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis12 (Post 6978228)
Any old racquet collectors here? I am doing an english report on racquet collections and could really use an interview with a collector. just a few questions about your collection
If you have anything else to add about your collection i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

1. Back in my Jr days - mid 1970s
2. I was a ballboy from 1973 - 1979 and being in NY I was able to work the USO and many WCT events.....back then it was common for the players to give us some of their frames - so getting sticks from Vilas, Laver, Newcombe, Borg, Nastase.....ect became cool.
3. About 50 - and no idea what they are worth - maybe $200 to $300 on avg for "players" frames.
4. A mint adidas Nastase Comp or a Head Vilas he used in 1977 when he won the US Open - I got one of his sticks after the final.
5. A Le Coq Sportif CRESENDO from the early 80s......it's really just an adidas Nastase Comp with a LCS paint job for Yannick Noah that I used as a Jr as well. In the late 80s I had a batch of like 20 of them and donated all to a local public group helping spread tennis.....I wish I had kept at least 1.
5. Borg and Vilas - Ilie Nastase as well as he was always very very cool to the ball kids.

Hannah19 10-29-2012 03:11 AM

Well, all info about my collection etc can be found here:

www.vintagetennisgems.nl

Favorite racquet: Dunlop Max 200G for its feel.
Most valuable racket: Austrian made Adidas GTX PRO without Lendl markings.
Current value of collection: >€50.000
Favorite players: Fabrice Santoro , because he can do magic
Jimmy Connors, talk about stamina and fun
John McEnroe, for being able to put loads of touch into
his strokes
Racquet wishlist: Estusa Pro Legend Classic, Mizuno Ivan Lendl.

michael_1265 10-29-2012 08:59 AM

About two years ago
I like the history of the sport and the technology is fascinating.
Maybe 100 racquets. Hard to tell what it is worth.
I like oddball racquets. My Bergelin Longstring is probably my favorite.
I am currently trying to find a Donnay Revolutive Apollo. I want it because part of my collection is devoted to racquets from my personal history, and I had one of these in 1989.
Current: Murray. I like his style of play, and I will almost always root for someone who struggles and eventually overcomes. Past: Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe.

MarrratSafin 10-30-2012 02:09 AM

Prefer hitting with the old frames and also the classic looks.
I am not counting but let's just say a lot..
Favourite is Head Prestige Pro 600, ah the sensational feel. Most valuable is probably Lacoste Equijet 258 haven't seen another around..
Wilson Javelin 95, Equijet LT303.. and Yamaha YWG because it is beautiful..
Marat Safin and Fabrice Santoro, crazy talents..

racquetfreak 10-30-2012 03:18 PM

1) When did you start collecting?[COLOR="teal"
as a serious effort, 8 years ago -2004
Two reasons: first, i retired in 2004 and decided to build up a collection as a hobby. second, i was severely injured (semi-functional left leg, non-functional left arm, visual loss in both eyes) in a auto accident in 1993 and, since then have been unable to play tennis competitively or even socially. i still get out and hit with local pros and keep up to date on the sport. collecting racquets is a substitute for loss of my ability to try to kick butt on the court.
about 2,000, can you say OCD? collection consists of about 1/3 wood and metal and about 2/3 graphite and other synthetic materials. it's not worth as much as it ought to be, due to buying lots of junk early on and being easily distracted by shiny objects and bright colors.
the actual GTX Pro used by Ivan Lendl in the 1987 US Open championship match. Also have a Federer used (and signed) ps 85 with the hps 6.0 paintjob. quite a few others but those are the crown jewels.
Slazengers Isis - one of the earliest racquets to be equipped with grommets. Any racquet used by Althea Gibson in a major.
better yet - what about favorite racquets - Australian cane wood racquets and Dunlop Max 200Gs.
favorite players - past -Monica Seles, Pancho Gonzales and Pat Rafter. current - Wms sisters. impossible not to like Roger and Rafa. Williams sisters because they effectively break the preconception of tennis being a sport for middle management and up as well as becoming candidates for GOATdom.

zapvor 11-02-2012 08:58 AM

wow. you guys blow me away. very cool!

retrowagen 11-02-2012 11:27 AM

Started “accumulating” various frames when playing competitively in the 1980’s. Walked away from the sport in 1994, and gave away all but two racquets. Started playing again in 2006 after becoming a dad, needed more racquets, discovered the new ones were not as good as the older ones in most regards, started looking for classics to use. Hence, "collecting" began in earnest. It's an interesting hobby. I like the gear from the 1980's and early 90's best, specifically the stuff made by Fischer, Head, and Kneissl in Austria, and Snauwaert in Belgium. Adults tend to gravitate towards music and things from their teenaged years, and as a teen, I thought these companies made the coolest racquets.
They are cheaper and easier to store than classic German photography equipment, Swiss clocks and watches, and German classic cars (some other things I have collected). And you can hit tennis balls with them! Seriously, a big part of the interest for me, as an engineer, is in the industrial design details of the various models, and how they play.
My collection is in a constant state of flux, but is beginning to coalesce into a permanent playing collection of around 25 that are used regularly. More than that seems to cross a personally-defined threshold of “fun hobby” to the territory of “unhealthy obsession.”
1984 Kneissl White Star Pro Masters. In 1985, I achieved my best ranking as a junior while using it. It takes some skill and precision to operate well – by modern standards, it’s virtually impossible to use, but I still take them out on court and can really hit hard with them. It’s also technically interesting, and quite fun to use. Play a few sets with it, and you feel like you’ve really done something.
I’d like to find an Adidas Lendl GTX Pro. I used the model for part of a season in the Juniors, but wasn’t really strong enough at the time to use it properly. I’d like to see what I can do with it now.
Ivan Lendl, for his work ethic and amazing forehand; Stefan Edberg, for his footwork, second serve, and volley; Michael Stich, for his flat first serve and smooth all-court game; Roger Federer for his backhand; and Stan Smith, for his attitude. I also admire the cohesion and good-natured friendship the touring Aussie players of the 60’s-70’s showed, and the team spirit the Swedish Davis Cup team of the mid to late 1980’s (Mats Wilander, Anders Jarryd, Joakim Nystrom, Henrik Sundstrom, Stefan Edberg…) showed. Arthur Ashe, for braving racial barriers and being such a class act.

dak95_00 11-02-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis12 (Post 6978228)

1) I don't collect. I just accumulate more racquets.
2) I like to try racquets and wanted to get some wooden racquets to host a wooden tournament.
3) 40-50. I don't know.
4) I don't know. If they're worth too much, I sell them. I've had paint job Prestiges and the rarest was a Max 200g Steffi Graf Golden Grand Slam. I bought it for $8 and sold it for $550.
5) No. I only play POG 90s and I don't need any more racquets.
6) Agassi & Federer. They play a different game than others by using their heads to defeat their opponents instead of just physical skills which are also very, very good.

kalic 11-09-2012 03:59 AM

I played with some respected modern frames (PD, LM Instinct, O3 tour) and then I bought a Bumblebee 630 on a flea market just because it was very cheap (maybe 10$). All of the sudden everything's changed... I was fascinated with this precision, power and FEEL. Found some other classics (thanks to suggestions on this forum), and enjoy it... Currently have about 20, and half of it is "Head constant beam series".

Gonzalito17 11-09-2012 05:49 AM

Started playing serious 15 years ago, soon after that became curious about all the different racquets from the past.

To play with different feels improves your hands and touch.

About 50. Not much, just about a grand or so.

I have a Petr Korda Tour 10 Volkl that he actually used, worth probably a few hundred dollars. I have three Donnay Borg Pros but they aren't that rare to find. Also have a nice Donnay racquet bag from the Borg days.

A Yonex Ti RQ 1000, very light and tremendous feel.

Rios, Djokovic, Federer, Seles, Kuerten, to name a few.

WARPWOODIE 11-09-2012 06:45 AM

[quote=Hannah19;6981233]Well, all info about my collection etc can be found here:

www.vintagetennisgems.nl

Congratulations...you have a beautiful collection of racquets!

max 11-09-2012 08:26 AM

--I consciously tried to collect racquets about 10-12 years ago. But gave it up after a year or so: I just didn't care to have all these racquets bouncing around.

--love tennis and as I get older, appreciate the sport's history.

---maybe 5-10 now, sold a few; not worth much more than $150.

---The Dunlop Max 200Gs that I used to play with. For its time, it was an advanced frame, and, contrary to what many TW people say, this advanced frame improved my game by allowing me to better develop my skills.
---I borrowed a friends Wilson racquet long ago: it may have been a knockoff PS 85, but it felt more controllable and a bit more flexible.
--Bjorn Borg: really the stylistic king of the hill, inspired me to play the game seriously.
--I would like to see wood return to the game at the pro level. The pros can certainly handle it and it would be more exciting stuff.

zapvor 11-09-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7004340)

-
--I would like to see wood return to the game at the pro level. The pros can certainly handle it and it would be more exciting stuff.

it would slow it down way way lot