Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   All things being equal, which should I stick with? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444212)

Lilguy1456 10-28-2012 07:10 AM

All things being equal, which should I stick with?

I feel that I play equally well with all 3 of these sticks. Which one should I stick with (ie, which has the best UPSIDE) and why?

Fuji 10-28-2012 07:56 AM

The 200 definitely. It hits a monster ball, with good comfort and it shouldn't bother anywhere on your body. I actually own all the frames you are comparing as well, and in my opinion the 200 is a stick you can play well with from 3.5-open. The PSL is pretty demanding and it doesn't have the same ability to really punish the ball like the 200 does for a rec level player.

The PS90 is a 90. Really, I dont see any point in playing with a mid unless that's what you are used to. I used Prestige mid's for over a year, and frames like that are too demanding IMO to be used to benefit your game.

I believe you are still trying to improve your game? If so, play with whatever gives you the most wins. My comments are just generalizations from my experiences. If you are only playing recreationally without wanting to improve past your current level, then just play with whatever you have the most fun with! :razz:

-Fuji

davo81 10-28-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6979355)
I feel that I play equally well with all 3 of these sticks. Which one should I stick with (ie, which has the best UPSIDE) and why?

If you play equally well with them then I'd keep the cheapest one ;)

robbo1970 10-28-2012 08:32 AM

Dunlop, but I just love Dunlop, great rackets for all levels and styles.

OHBH 10-28-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6979355)

I don't think it is particularly helpful to recommend a racket if we don't know a little bit about your game. Though you may play equally well with each stick I'm sure each one enhances your strokes differently.

For example I have a huge forehand and a really heavy stick gives me the most power and control but if it is too heavy backhand suffers because I can't get it around as fast.

If I were you I would use the racket that most enhances your weakest shot because covering weaknesses becomes more important as you and your opponents move up in skill and matches become more tactical.

LeeD 10-28-2012 09:15 AM

Dunlop, because they have by far, the best quality control.
After that, pick the color you like.
After that, pick by whether you're a conformist or a rebel.

Lilguy1456 10-29-2012 04:12 PM

I love the feel of the 4D and the PSLtd, but I love the touch and volleys of the PS90...tough one...

MikeHitsHard93 10-29-2012 04:18 PM

PS 90 because maestro uses it!!!

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 6979594)
The 200 definitely. It hits a monster ball, with good comfort and it shouldn't bother anywhere on your body. I actually own all the frames you are comparing as well, and in my opinion the 200 is a stick you can play well with from 3.5-open. The PSL is pretty demanding and it doesn't have the same ability to really punish the ball like the 200 does for a rec level player.

The PS90 is a 90. Really, I dont see any point in playing with a mid unless that's what you are used to. I used Prestige mid's for over a year, and frames like that are too demanding IMO to be used to benefit your game.

I believe you are still trying to improve your game? If so, play with whatever gives you the most wins. My comments are just generalizations from my experiences. If you are only playing recreationally without wanting to improve past your current level, then just play with whatever you have the most fun with! :razz:

-Fuji

Yeah because, the hitting area between a 90 and a 95 is monumental. If you frame a shot/hit offcenter with a 90, you're going to do the same with a 95, and vice versa.

Don't let the "90" scare you off, the weight and balance of these types of racquet will really emphasize on good technique and timing, so it's the racquet with the most "upside".

And please, 90 is demanding? People grew up with the 85 find the 90 a gift.

LeeD 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

Pick the color you like.
Flip a coin.

Fuji 10-29-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 6982634)
Yeah because, the hitting area between a 90 and a 95 is monumental. If you frame a shot/hit offcenter with a 90, you're going to do the same with a 95, and vice versa.

Don't let the "90" scare you off, the weight and balance of these types of racquet will really emphasize on good technique and timing, so it's the racquet with the most "upside".

And please, 90 is demanding? People grew up with the 85 find the 90 a gift.

LOL! I love the sarcasm, it actually made me laugh!

Well really, you're proving my point here. If you grew up using a mid size, then totally stick with it. If you didn't spend thousands of house grooving to a mid, what advantages does it truly offer over something with a bit more "free" pop. (Before you talk about the KPS88 having extreme power, I agree with you) but really, most player frames are too demanding for MOST people in the 3.0-4.0 range. Exactly like you said, they place emphasises on good technique and timing, which a lot of mid ranked NTRP players don't exactly have.

-Fuji

Lilguy1456 10-29-2012 06:05 PM

I feel that I SHOULD feel the difference in headsize, but I honestly don't. I don't shank balls with a mid+ or a mid. If that's the case, is smaller the way to go? (Again, all things being equal)

roundiesee 10-29-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6982609)
I love the feel of the 4D and the PSLtd, but I love the touch and volleys of the PS90...tough one...

Play three sets of singles with the same player using the same string setup for all three rackets. The one that gives you the best result should be the one you should pick, :)

Fuji 10-29-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilguy1456 (Post 6982791)
I feel that I SHOULD feel the difference in headsize, but I honestly don't. I don't shank balls with a mid+ or a mid. If that's the case, is smaller the way to go? (Again, all things being equal)

All other things being totally equal, I'd go for the midplus for the extra quarter inch of hoop everywhere, but you may want to go down the mid route for the extra precision. It's really really personal preference when it comes down to this level!

-Fuji

LeeD 10-29-2012 07:52 PM

We're down to color, image, what's affordable, and what you like to identify yourself with.

sunof tennis 10-30-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 6982804)
Play three sets of singles with the same player using the same string setup for all three rackets. The one that gives you the best result should be the one you should pick, :)

This is pretty sound advice!

LeeD 10-30-2012 04:42 PM

Results of a set has little to do with your racket. Even playing the same racket, same player, sets often go 6-1, 1-6, and 7-5.
Score means little.
How you hit the ball means more.

0d1n 10-31-2012 02:26 AM

I somehow doubt you've actually done a "proper study" of your results with all 3 sticks to determine whether you are actually playing equally well with all 3.
However, presuming you have done it... choose the one you have more of (assuming you have more than one of each), and if not ... choose the one you can get for the best price...since you'll need to buy a couple.
That's how I would do it...with any product really. If the quality delivered (i.e. good/same results in this case) is similar, I go for the best price.

makinao 10-31-2012 04:00 AM

Forget specs, looks, image, brand, and (assuming all are priced the same) cost. Choose whichever racquet which gives you the confidence, ability, and comfort to go for the shots you can AND must deliver, in both practice and competition.

I just got new racquets which I never seriously considered for various reasons. But from the moment I used them, both the fun and competitiveness has returned to my game.

For all you know, none of the choices here will actually fulfill your needs.

Dgdavid 10-31-2012 04:06 AM

I would get rid of all three and buy something else. The problem with finding rackets you like is you don't have an excuse to order nice new shiny ones ;-)

Of the three, pick the one that is strongest on your 2nd Serve and Backhand.