Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Effect of a leather grip on mobility? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444218)

robbo1970 10-28-2012 10:51 AM

Effect of a leather grip on mobility?

Although the leather grip made the racket slightly more headlight, not that noticably though, one thing I really noticed was how the racket took more effort from my hand and wrist in flicking volleys and rolling my wrist over for some topspin shots and under for slicing, particularly on serves.

Has anyone else found this when they switched to a leather grip?

I swear the racket feels less mobile and slower. Has anyone else found this?

LeeD 10-28-2012 11:24 AM

If you are sensitive to 1/2 oz added handle weight, you'd notice the difference.
Balanced by more stability in most shots. You don't get something for nothing, and everything you add get's counted in the final analysis.

robbo1970 10-28-2012 12:02 PM

I do favour/need the lighter weight so I must have been sensitive to that half ounce because it definately felt like I lost some hand speed.

I guess stock form is best for me, but a worthwhile exercise to find out.

LeeD 10-28-2012 12:07 PM

I'm an insensitive clout, as most ex g/f's will attest.
I can play half a set with a 200, then finish out the set with a 500 and little difference in hitting or play.

robbo1970 10-28-2012 12:24 PM

That's fine. I just noticed a negative difference and wondered if anyone else had, maybe someone found it a positive difference.

Easily rectified though.

LeeD 10-28-2012 01:51 PM

"more stability on most shots".. is the plus factor..

coachrick 10-28-2012 02:28 PM

So, it's not really making the racket 'head light' but 'handle heavy'. Those who can notice an increase in stability as a result must REALLY be sensitive. Echoing LeeD, I've played with a half-dozen very different rackets through the course of a two-hour round robin.
(I suspect Lee is more sensitive than he takes credit for, however ;) Most of us guys don't want to admit it :) )
I think I CAN feel a half-ounce difference in weight added to the handle...it just wouldn't be a major factor. Slap it on top of the hoop and I reckon anyone could feel the difference.

Soaking wet, the leather might be .5 oz heavier, but I'm finding the difference closer to .25 between syn grips and leather.

LeeD 10-28-2012 02:46 PM

I actually play with 4 5/8 grip size WITH an add on overgrip.
An oz here or there would make little difference.
That's what allow my 10 oz rackets to work against "hard" hitters. Big grip, less twist. 10 oz racket, more power if I don't swing fast. Light rackets are big and stiff. If I do, more spin.

robbo1970 10-28-2012 04:59 PM

It was an experiment I wanted to try and I'm glad I did.

I've just switched back to a synth, had a few swings and it feels immediately better.

Its great these days with such a choice of equipment that there really is something for everyone.

Chotobaka 10-28-2012 05:33 PM

Might I add the fact that the small increase in weight from a leather grip is evenly distributed along the handle. Different than adding even this minuscule amount of weight to the butt of the racquet.

robbo1970 10-29-2012 02:49 AM

I think the phrase 'handle heavy' suits the feel very well.

Some might notice that, some might not. I could just feel the difference and prefered the feel with the synth grip so its a happy ending to a worthwhile experiment. I know a lot of players will add a few grams of lead here and there and to them it will make a difference. I was exactly the same. I put on the leather grip, thought no, I dont like the feel of that, put the synth on and thought it was better.

I guess it was more a case of feel rather than too much else.

Thepowerofchoice 10-29-2012 09:01 AM

If you want the "feel" of syntactic grip but want to add extra wight to the handle without having to use lead...try this grip
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...N-WSSHGBK.html

It weigh about the same as leather grip and have a nice soft feel to it.

USS Tang 10-29-2012 10:05 AM

Leather grip is the only way to go. I wrap one around the original grip that comes with the racket from the manufacturer. More stability results. I have no problem changing my grip during a point as I use the continental on all strokes.

robbo1970 10-30-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepowerofchoice (Post 6981580)
If you want the "feel" of syntactic grip but want to add extra wight to the handle without having to use lead...try this grip
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...N-WSSHGBK.html

It weigh about the same as leather grip and have a nice soft feel to it.

Its not the extra weight that I wanted, it was the weight of the standard synth grip that I prefer. Fortunately I have that with these Dunlop Biomimetic Tour grips and the feel of them is really good. Only 2.50 each, so I bought 4 and done with it.

robbo1970 10-30-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 6981707)
Leather grip is the only way to go. I wrap one around the original grip that comes with the racket from the manufacturer. More stability results. I have no problem changing my grip during a point as I use the continental on all strokes.

You put the leather over the stock synth grip? Wow, that must give a strange feel.

I do know what you mean, the feel of leather under an overgrip is really good, hence its popularity, but it just didnt feel right for me.

Big_Dangerous 10-30-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 6981707)

Wow that's really peculiar. I don't know anyone that plays with a regular synthetic and a leather over it... Do you also use an overgrip?

NTRPolice 10-30-2012 04:54 AM

I re-grip my rackets to leather or I just buy them with leather grips already.

I overgrip the leather with Tourna-Tac and match it with the leather grips seams. Theres some kinda technical term for that...

I cannot use modern leather grips without an overgrip. It's way too slippery. I can only use "aged" leather grips, like on really old rackets.

USS Tang 10-30-2012 05:01 AM

That's right: I put the leather grip on top of the original tacky "over-grip" that comes with the racket. The leather gives me better feel, while underneath the "over-grip" provides a nice cushiony feeling.

robbo1970 10-30-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 6983347)
That's right: I put the leather grip on top of the original tacky "over-grip" that comes with the racket. The leather gives me better feel, while underneath the "over-grip" provides a nice cushiony feeling.

I see, so effectively you are adding a leather 'overgrip'. Interesting.

I recall another leather grip based thread where a member asked if there were any leather overgrips. I guess if you get a thin leather grip and remove the sticky back, it will do the job.

Glad to hear it works for you and it solves your issue of having the feel of leather in your hand, but with a bit of extra cusioning. Nice custom idea.

Most seem to go the other way. Leather as a base, then an overgrip for tack and traction.

USS Tang 10-30-2012 05:56 AM

One other thought about using a leather grip: when your hand perspires, it tends to get slippery. I have solved this problem by keeping some cornstarch in my pocket and sprinkling it on the handle between points. Cornstarch is nothing more than over-the-counter baby powder. It sucks up moisture like a vacuum cleaner does dust. My friends know when I've been on the courts from the white dots strewn about the surface. (Not to worry: the moisture in the air eventually absorbs the cornstarch.)