Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Del Potro: Predict his result at WTFs 2012 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444238)

Gonzo_style 10-28-2012 02:02 PM

Del Potro: Predict his result at WTFs 2012
 
JMDP won 3 indoors titles in 2012, Marseille and 2 consecutive in Vienna and Basel, beating one of the best "indoors player" in final! So i would call him a third favourite for the title in London, after Djokovic and Federer!

JMDP allready played final there, losing to Davydenko in 2 sets!A lot will depend on the draw in London, let's say if Juan Martin played against Federer, Ferrer and Tipsarevic his chances will be much higher!

I would not take into account his result in Paris, it is possible to pull out or tanked , because this will be his third week in a row to play, with very tough draw!

Predict his performance in London!

kaku 10-28-2012 02:15 PM

He needs a favorable group. If he draws the group with 2 of the top 3 seeds, I don't see him making the SF unless he can beat Fed again. If he gets a group like the one you mentioned, he would have a good chance to make the SF, but beating Ferrer wouldn't be easy for JMDP

Gonzo_style 10-28-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6980391)
He needs a favorable group. If he draws the group with 2 of the top 3 seeds, I don't see him making the SF unless he can beat Fed again. If he gets a group like the one you mentioned, he would have a good chance to make the SF, but beating Ferrer wouldn't be easy for JMDP

That's true, i was thinking Delpo was the favourite in Wimbledon, and David beat him easily...

kaku 10-28-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 6980402)
That's true, i was thinking Delpo was the favourite in Wimbledon, and David beat him easily...

His best chance would to be grouped with Berdych, but I don't think that's possible. More than likely, he's going to have to pull off an upset.

Gonzo_style 10-28-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaku (Post 6980414)
His best chance would to be grouped with Berdych, but I don't think that's possible. More than likely, he's going to have to pull off an upset.

That's not possible i think, JMDP is 6th seed, and Berdych would probably be 5th seed, or vice versa...

NadalAgassi 10-28-2012 02:41 PM

His best grouping would be to be with Ferrer and Federer. He has never done well vs Djokovic outside of grass, and never done well vs Murray outside of clay. Either way if he is in Ferrer's half he has a good shot to make the semis. His ideal grouping would be Federer, Ferrer, and Tipsarevic. Everyone will want Tipsarevic in their half, LOL!

He not yet even won a regular Masters but it is like Del Potro to do everything backwards so maybe he will win the TMF before a regular Masters. I dont pick him to win, but it is also isnt impossible he could pull an upset and do it. He seems to be very slowly but surely gaining ground and confidence on the top players, although his fitness is still a big issue.

elpolaco84 10-28-2012 02:51 PM

can't pick till the end of Paris-bercy

Gonzo_style 10-28-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elpolaco84 (Post 6980481)
can't pick till the end of Paris-bercy

"I would not take into account his result in Paris, it is possible to pull out or tanked , because this will be his third week in a row to play, with very tough draw!"

Towser83 10-28-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6980460)
His best grouping would be to be with Ferrer and Federer. He has never done well vs Djokovic outside of grass, and never done well vs Murray outside of clay. Either way if he is in Ferrer's half he has a good shot to make the semis. His ideal grouping would be Federer, Ferrer, and Tipsarevic. Everyone will want Tipsarevic in their half, LOL!

He not yet even won a regular Masters but it is like Del Potro to do everything backwards so maybe he will win the TMF before a regular Masters. I dont pick him to win, but it is also isnt impossible he could pull an upset and do it. He seems to be very slowly but surely gaining ground and confidence on the top players, although his fitness is still a big issue.

that was the exact group I posted as being his best shot on another thread.

Also he has had a lot of close losses to Murray, so I don't rule him out against him but Murray is a better player these days. However if he played him first match and say Murray had just played the Paris final, then who knows? Tiredness might play a part.

Actually thinking about this, imagine the groups are

Federer
Murray
Berdych
Tsonga

Djokovic
Ferrer
Delpo
Tipsarevic

Delpo is runner up and Djokovic winner, of the other group Murray wins and Fed is runner up. Now Delpo can lose to Djokovic in the group matches, play one great match vs Fed and he's in the final. If Murray is there and tired from an epic match,maybe Delpo wins. It's a big stretch but it is maybe the best chance to win the whole thing.

Homeboy Hotel 10-28-2012 03:33 PM

Federer
Murray
Berdych
Tipsarevic

Djokovic
Ferrer
Tsonga
Del Potro

So..

Del Potro v Ferrer = Win
Del Potro v Tsonga = Win
Del Potro v Djokovic (need to assess Djok's indoor form) = Nevertheless, loss.

= 2-1 in the groups

So comes down to the maths whether he qualifies for the SF. But I'd say he does.

Del Po = SF

vive le beau jeu ! 10-28-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 6980402)
That's true, i was thinking Delpo was the favourite in Wimbledon, and David beat him easily...

i was really surprised by the severe score of this wimbledon match... what happened ?

kaku 10-28-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu ! (Post 6980552)
i was really surprised by the severe score of this wimbledon match... what happened ?

His movement on grass got exposed

Towser83 10-28-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 6980545)
Federer
Murray
Berdych
Tipsarevic

Djokovic
Ferrer
Tsonga
Del Potro

So..

Del Potro v Ferrer = Win
Del Potro v Tsonga = Win
Del Potro v Djokovic (need to assess Djok's indoor form) = Nevertheless, loss.

= 2-1 in the groups

So comes down to the maths whether he qualifies for the SF. But I'd say he does.

Del Po = SF

that's only one possible grouping though, no way of knowing yet.He could get Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer, Tsonga, which I don't think he'd get out of.. So he needs a bit of luck

kishnabe 10-28-2012 04:05 PM

I would say Semifinal. It depends a lot on which side of the RR he is....the opponents he has to face in RR, Semifinals,or Finals.

It would better to be on a side of Federer and Murray,Than with the likes of Djokovic and Ferrer.

He could win this whole thing or could not even get out of the RR with tough matches against 2 of the top 4, and Berdych.

The event is unpredictable for everyone barring Federer who can just steam through.

elpolaco84 10-28-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 6980487)
"I would not take into account his result in Paris, it is possible to pull out or tanked , because this will be his third week in a row to play, with very tough draw!"

it is still an "if he",
so....we'll see...

roundiesee 10-28-2012 04:47 PM

Would not be surprised if he won it, as he is playing very well at the moment, but having said that, there are so many great players taking part, if they are playing well too it might not be that easy. I say "semis" for him, :)

Gonzo_style 10-28-2012 06:40 PM

It seems that we all agree that Del Potro must avoid Djokovic/Murray or Federer/Murray group, for the beginning...:)

Backhanded Compliment 10-28-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 6980798)
It seems that we all agree that Del Potro must avoid Djokovic/Murray or Federer/Murray group, for the beginning...:)

That makes sense. Basically it has been big returners and Fed (who is great at applying pressure when needed) who hinder him most. Thats why Daaveed poses a problem too.

kaku 10-28-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backhanded Compliment (Post 6980963)
That makes sense. Basically it has been big returners and Fed (who is great at applying pressure when needed) who hinder him most. Thats why Daaveed poses a problem too.

Delpo is a bit unlucky that the game style that he doesn't seem to like playing against is 3/4 of the top 4 and the other guy is Roger Federer who matches up well against 99% of the tour.

NadalAgassi 10-28-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 6980516)
that was the exact group I posted as being his best shot on another thread.

Also he has had a lot of close losses to Murray, so I don't rule him out against him but Murray is a better player these days. However if he played him first match and say Murray had just played the Paris final, then who knows? Tiredness might play a part.

Actually thinking about this, imagine the groups are

Federer
Murray
Berdych
Tsonga

Djokovic
Ferrer
Delpo
Tipsarevic

Delpo is runner up and Djokovic winner, of the other group Murray wins and Fed is runner up. Now Delpo can lose to Djokovic in the group matches, play one great match vs Fed and he's in the final. If Murray is there and tired from an epic match,maybe Delpo wins. It's a big stretch but it is maybe the best chance to win the whole thing.

Well if Fed is runner up in a group with Murray and Del Potro runner up in the other behind Djokovic, Del Potro wouldnt play Federer in the semis. He would play Murray. The 1 plays the 2 from the other group in the crossover semis. Federer would have to win his group over Murray for the above scenario to play out.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse