Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   battery (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444257)

Loop71 10-28-2012 06:23 PM

battery
 
What would you do if you witnessed a junior player crack his opponent on the head during the end of the match handshake ? Shaking one hand while swinging the racquet in the other hand, and dropping his opponent like a bag of cement.

This occurred during a southern 10s closed tournament. I was horrified.

I am wondering what the likely sanctions will be, and if this is a frequent occurrance.

coaching32yrs 10-28-2012 06:54 PM

I have never seen or heard anything like that. The player's actions were criminal and violent. The police should have been contacted. A lifetime ban from USTA is the penalty that makes sense. I have seen it imposed once before. According to the rules the banned player can apply for reinstatement in 1 year. In this case it should not be granted.

WARPWOODIE 10-29-2012 06:18 AM

Reading of this incident makes my blood boil. To the OP, please provide any follow ups that you know of on the situation. Hope the aggressor is band permanently.

IA-SteveB 10-29-2012 06:37 AM

The police would definitely be involved no matter what. I can't say what I would do it if was my son who was hit for sure, but I am sure it wouldn't be a good outcome. I'd hope I would have enough sense to have the proper authorities handle it but one never knows, especially if your parental protection instinct kicks in.

sureshs 10-29-2012 08:16 AM

Why are people jumping to conclusions? Was it an accident or was it deliberate? 10 year old boys being clumsy and rotating things in their hand all the time is pretty common. Why the rush to judgement based on one side of the story?

Number1Coach 10-29-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6981608)
Why are people jumping to conclusions? Was it an accident or was it deliberate? 10 year old boys being clumsy and rotating things in their hand all the time is pretty common. Why the rush to judgement based on one side of the story?

drop him like a bag of cement ??

LeeD 10-29-2012 09:41 AM

Someone has to express the other side.
Maybe we should see the vids, or we get ONE side of the story.
If it was deliberate, and only someone who saw this or saw the vid can say, then everyone is mostly right.

SoCal10s 10-29-2012 09:47 AM

Number1Coach.. I like your style.. that's how I grew up too ,you take care of your own,any way you can... it's call '' looking out for number 1''.. :)

Soianka 10-29-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 6980819)
I have never seen or heard anything like that. The player's actions were criminal and violent. The police should have been contacted. A lifetime ban from USTA is the penalty that makes sense. I have seen it imposed once before. According to the rules the banned player can apply for reinstatement in 1 year. In this case it should not be granted.

He's obviously talking about a 10 year old or younger, so no the police probably don't need to be contacted.

A lifetime ban also seem excessive for a child that age, but yes, assuming it was not an accident, then the USTA should be involved with some severe penalities.

Soianka 10-29-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 6981806)
Number1Coach.. I like your style.. that's how I grew up too ,you take care of your own,any way you can... it's call '' looking out for number 1''.. :)

If #1 coach did what he said, he would be facing some serious felonies and probably spend a significant time in prison

SoCal10s 10-29-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6981810)
If #1 coach did what he said, he would be facing some serious felonies and probably spend a significant time in prison

only if he gets caught and has eye witness to prove it..

Soianka 10-29-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 6981811)
only if he gets caught and has eye witness to prove it..

Well, there's a high likelihood of getting caught since they would have the name of his child from the match.

Unless he is saying he would wait to some time after the tournament and attack the parents, which just seems crazy.

10ismom 10-29-2012 10:09 AM

Original poster should give us more details about this incidence. Did it just happen this weekend? It had to be quite chaotic around the incidence. What was the outcome?

If it happened at the Southern 10s, other parents, officials or players had to witness it as well.

I've never witness a fist fight at a tournament before. Have seen some rowdy matches, full of verbal abuses from both players and parents...but not physical.

Number1Coach 10-29-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6981810)
If #1 coach did what he said, he would be facing some serious felonies and probably spend a significant time in prison

1st off I would hope I would never deal with this type of situation but if I did "my witnesses" would definately saw that I had done it in self-defence and then it turns into their word against yours and trust me the story of my wifes sister is true and her dad watched these uys cold-**** her and then he fought with them called the cops and zero happened .

Once again everyone with me would be talking self defence .

Number1Coach 10-29-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soianka (Post 6981814)
Well, there's a high likelihood of getting caught since they would have the name of his child from the match.

Unless he is saying he would wait to some time after the tournament and attack the parents, which just seems crazy.

And "if" this was not and accident then is this normal or crazy and how do you deal with crazy people .

SoBad 10-29-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loop71 (Post 6980778)
What would you do if you witnessed a junior player crack his opponent on the head during the end of the match handshake ? Shaking one hand while swinging the racquet in the other hand, and dropping his opponent like a bag of cement.

This occurred during a southern 10s closed tournament. I was horrified.

I am wondering what the likely sanctions will be, and if this is a frequent occurrance.

Sounds pretty straightforward - why doesn't the victim hire a good lawyer on contingency basis?

10ismom 10-29-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6982044)
And "if" this was not and accident then is this normal or crazy and how do you deal with crazy people .

Eyewitnessed adults would definitely rush to restrain and subdue the 10 year old attacker. The victim would be taken care of immediatly by another adult. No more physical fight should be allowed.

The parents of both sides would then need to talk. Third party, a referee or a mediator might need to intervene.

Number1Coach 10-29-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 6982085)
Eyewitnessed adults would definitely rush to restrain and subdue the 10 year old attacker. The victim would be taken care of immediatly by another adult. No more physical fight should be allowed.

The parents of both sides would then need to talk. Third party, a referee or a mediator might need to intervene.

That's exactley how we have been handling these issuse and low and behold same thing some crazy kid who no doubt this is not his 1st time .

I am thankful it wasn't my child cause there is only one way I would deal with this .

10ismom 10-29-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 6982103)
That's exactley how we have been handling these issuse and low and behold same thing some crazy kid who no doubt this is not his 1st time .

I am thankful it wasn't my child cause there is only one way I would deal with this .

Hopefully we will not have this kind of violence OP posted at tennis tournaments.
It will be really sad if we have to have our bags checked and go through a metal detector at tournaments like at the airport or some public schools!

gplracer 10-29-2012 03:56 PM

Police should have been called. Parent of the victim should press charges. Then speak with he tournament director. The Southern Tennis Association should also be contacted to make sure this is taken care of.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse