Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ferrer to be ranked higher than Nadal after the Australian Open? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444266)

tennis_pro 10-29-2012 01:48 AM

Ferrer to be ranked higher than Nadal after the Australian Open?

As we know, Nadal is missing Paris and WTF this year. Ferrer on ther other hand looks to be playing into form (won Valencia yesterday). If he finished 2012 on a high note, let's say he gains 500-700 points in Paris and WTF, he could only be 1000 points behind Nadal in the race. Therefore, since Nadal is defending a final, Ferrer would "only" have to outperform Nadal at the AO to be ranked higher than him after the tournament is done.

We might see some Djokovic-Nadal, Federer-Nadal or Murray-Nadal matches in the QF stage in the near future, how fun would that be.

joeri888 10-29-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6981171)
As we know, Nadal is missing Paris and WTF this year. Ferrer on ther other hand looks to be playing into form (won Valencia yesterday). If he finished 2012 on a high note, let's say he gains 500-700 points in Paris and WTF, he could only be 1000 points behind Nadal in the race. Therefore, since Nadal is defending a final, Ferrer would "only" have to outperform Nadal at the AO to be ranked higher than him after the tournament is done.

We might see some Djokovic-Nadal, Federer-Nadal or Murray-Nadal matches in the QF stage in the near future, how fun would that be.

Would be a nice change really. Tired of the big 4 making every semifinal.

Sabratha 10-29-2012 02:13 AM

Nadal might skip the AO.

tennis_pro 10-29-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981189)
Nadal might skip the AO.

The bigger the chance of Ferrer being ranked higher.

Ms Nadal 10-29-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981189)
Nadal might skip the AO.

Hmmm, you could be right. I just wish that Rafa and his camp would be more honest about his situation. I mean, What is really going on?. This injury excuse is wearing thin :confused:. Rafa's fans are suffering!. I look forward to the AO either way as it is the first slam of the year and always fills me with excitement. Go Ferrer! he has played well he deserves some good fortune. I won't hold it against him.

joeri888 10-29-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Nadal (Post 6981193)
Hmmm, you could be right. I just wish that Rafa and his camp would be more honest about his situation. I mean, What is really going on?. This injury excuse is wearing thin :confused:. Rafa's fans are suffering!. I look forward to the AO either way as it is the first slam of the year and always fills me with excitement. Go Ferrer! he has played well he deserves some good fortune. I won't hold it against him.

They say absolutely nothing. It's pretty strange if you ask me.

Sabratha 10-29-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

If he does miss the AO, he will be giving many of the lower ranked players a chance to break through. A semifinal run for Raonic, for instance. Nadal not playing the AO, as bad as this sounds, may liven things up for once.

Clarky21 10-29-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981206)
If he does miss the AO, he will be giving many of the lower ranked players a chance to break through. A semifinal run for Raonic, for instance. Nadal not playing the AO, as bad as this sounds, may liven things up for once.

I have a feeling you would not be so thrilled about livening things up if it were Fed we were talking about. And if the younger guys can't break through the current top 4,and need one of them to slip in the rankings for it to happen,I'd say that's their own fault. The don't deserve it if they can't beat the best.

sadowsk2 10-29-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

I think the Nadal camp has been pretty honest... He's got tendinosis in his patella tendon... If you knew anything about the injury and the nature of how a tendon heals you'd understand the timetable to return from that type of injury can range from anywhere to 6-24 months... Tendons are slow to heal despite even the best medical attention currently available... The only thing he can do (short of invasive surgery) is continue to vigourosly rehab and monitor the healing progress... He may not come back until the next US Open, though I suspect the fact he's still relatively young, and diliagently devoting essentially full time towards rehabbing he'll be back between the AO and the Clay court season next year...

Sabratha 10-29-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6981363)
I have a feeling you would not be so thrilled about livening things up if it were Fed we were talking about. And if the younger guys can't break through the current top 4,and need one of them to slip in the rankings for it to happen,I'd say that's their own fault. The don't deserve it if they can't beat the best.

People are starting to figure Federer out anyway.

Clarky21 10-29-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981375)

No they're not. Fed lost the final in Basel. It's not like he lost the Wimby final for crying out loud.

tennis_pro 10-29-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadowsk2 (Post 6981369)
I think the Nadal camp has been pretty honest... He's got tendinosis in his patella tendon... If you knew anything about the injury and the nature of how a tendon heals you'd understand the timetable to return from that type of injury can range from anywhere to 6-24 months... Tendons are slow to heal despite even the best medical attention currently available... The only thing he can do (short of invasive surgery) is continue to vigourosly rehab and monitor the healing progress... He may not come back until the next US Open, though I suspect the fact he's still relatively young, and diliagently devoting essentially full time towards rehabbing he'll be back between the AO and the Clay court season next year...

Oh he'll be back before the clay season, alright. I'm sure Nadal will start to feel waaaaay better when we reach Monte Carlo.

tennis_pro 10-29-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981375)

Maybe finally they figured out that he's not 25 anymore? What a revelation!

Sabratha 10-29-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6981381)
No they're not. Fed lost the final in Basel. It's not like he lost the Wimby final for crying out loud.

It will happen eventually.

augustobt 10-29-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 6981386)
Maybe finally they figured out that he's not 25 anymore? What a revelation!

That is hard for some people to see!

Clarky21 10-29-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6981387)
It will happen eventually.

Well it already happened to Nadal who is 5 years younger,so I think Fed has done pretty darn well considering his age. Your guy also has 17 slams and numerous records to his name. Consider yourself lucky that you are a Fed fan and not a long suffering Nadal fan like me.

tennis_pro 10-29-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 6981408)
Well it already happened to Nadal who is 5 years younger,so I think Fed has done pretty darn well considering his age. Your guy also has 17 slams and numerous records to his name. Consider yourself lucky that you are a Fed fan and not a long suffering Nadal fan like me.

Yea you poor child, your idol has only 11 majors in his pocket so far. If Federer won that few I'd probably stop supporting him!

Jesus, some people...

Sentinel 10-29-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Believe me, we considered ourselves very fortunate all these years watching Fed being abused by your man (lol, /sarc).

I doubt there's much more Nadal and CO. can say about the injury, it's not like injuries give our their departure dates. Imagine his suffering, while you chaps go about your jobs earning your fortunes, living it up.

It;ll be awful if Nadal doesnt come back in form at AO. Imagine some low ranked player making it to the semis and getting routed while the other semi is tough.

Hawkeye7 10-29-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

He won 11 slams and might win more... yeah, I feel so sorry for you (and me too btw).

NadalAgassi 10-29-2012 07:15 AM

I expect Nadal will play the Australian Open and if he does and is semi fit he will outperform Ferrer there with atleast a semifinal, while Ferrer will lose in the quarters to one of the big 4 at best. In fact of the guys ranked 5-8 Ferrer has the least ability to beat any of the top 4, except for Djokovic and Murray (but definitely not Federer or Nadal) on a clay court only.

I also dont think such a weak (relatively speaking) player in the top 4 would be good. It would create the same unbalanced draws we see in the womens game. 3 of Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer will end up in one half, while the remaining one will end up in the half with Ferrer and have a bye to the final, with often some unknown making it out of Ferrer's section probably.