Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How is everyone doing in Northeast USA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444327)

SoBad 10-29-2012 07:24 PM

How is everyone doing in Northeast USA?

Just checking in to see how everyone is holding up. Iíve had no hot water since mid-afternoon, but everything else is OK!!

Mike Bulgakov 10-29-2012 08:09 PM

I hope everyone is doing well there, and that the electricity is not out for too long. I have been in two typhoons (but no hurricanes), and they were no fun.

SoBad 10-29-2012 08:16 PM

Haha I guess I am the only one left with the internet in Northeast. At this time, I would like to encourage people from other geographies to take part in the discussion.

Sabratha 10-30-2012 09:04 AM

I hope everybody is doing alright after the hurricane.

DCaicedo 10-30-2012 04:59 PM

Doing ok in NJ. Haven't lost anything (yet?) but lots of homes within a 5-block radius have. Huge trees uprooted.
No word yet as to when work re-opens in lower Manhattan.
What a mess you made Sandy.

Past 2 days without liquor have been a bit boring. Might need a refill tomorrow lol

Eph 10-30-2012 05:19 PM

Didn't lose a damn thing. People down the street from me were not so lucky (I live in Weston MA).

chrischris 10-31-2012 04:32 AM

OK, good to hear that!

How did they ( down the street) fare?

Dedans Penthouse 10-31-2012 06:29 AM

(north of NYC, 10583)

Brutal, so many houses clobbered from fallen trees, downed wires everywhere, many roads closed, driving very tricky. Yesterday morning however, there appeared a huge rainbow across the gray sky for about 15 minutes or so before it got darker and the residual rains returned. Today (10:28 EDT), blue skies and clouds but the clouds and some more rain is expected to return in the afternoon as the remaining bands of bad weather moves through (forecast for the next 2 days).

Wooden cuppola atop this local historical tavern/restaurant was ripped off and crashed down onto the sidewalk; a big heap of rubble. Admittedly, small potatoes compared to the overall mess in the NJ-NY area.

chrischris 10-31-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedans Penthouse (Post 6985570)
(north of NYC, 10583)

Brutal, so many houses clobbered from fallen trees, downed wires everywhere, many roads closed, driving very tricky. Yesterday morning however, there appeared a huge rainbow across the gray sky for about 15 minutes or so before it got darker and the residual rains returned. Today (10:28 EDT), blue skies and clouds but the clouds and some more rain is expected to return in the afternoon as the remaining bands of bad weather moves through (forecast for the next 2 days).

Wooden cuppola atop this local historical tavern/restaurant was ripped off and crashed down onto the sidewalk; a big heap of rubble. Admittedly, small potatoes compared to the overall mess in the NJ-NY area.

But still that must suck, darn it.. hope things improve !!

chrischris 10-31-2012 08:28 AM

At a time like this we see that we need support from friends , community and FEMA . imo it would not be smart to cut FEMA's budget.

DRII 10-31-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischris (Post 6985833)
At a time like this we see that we need support from friends , community and FEMA . imo it would not be smart to cut FEMA's budget.

Exactly!

If Willard had his way, he would privatize the whole thing :twisted:

mikeler 10-31-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 6986013)
Exactly!

If Willard had his way, he would privatize the whole thing :twisted:

Having dealt with FEMA in the past, they are horribly inefficient much like the rest of the Federal Government.

DRII 10-31-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6986056)
Having dealt with FEMA in the past, they are horribly inefficient much like the rest of the Federal Government.

Efficiency is not any disaster survivor intial concern!

there is absolutely no need to have a profit motive when it comes do disaster relief!!!

stringertom 10-31-2012 11:48 AM

Kudos to Christie for his praise of POTUS & FEMA's efforts but why is it ONLY crises that unite the political factions? It would be great if cooperation was an everyday function of our leaders!

mikeler 10-31-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 6986151)

there is absolutely no need to have a profit motive when it comes do disaster relief!!!

If you are inefficient in managing resources, you can't help people quick enough. I said nothing about a profit motive.

chrischris 10-31-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6986230)
If you are inefficient in managing resources, you can't help people quick enough. I said nothing about a profit motive.

How efficient would a privatised rescue service be to help poor people in need /emergency? If their business was based on showing a profit .

On the topic of efficiency its ironic that the widely common and wasteful use of oil , coal and natural gas and land use ,adds energy and power to these kinds of storms.

It would be detremental to the bottom line of any oil/coal/natural gas company to seriously make way for efficient use of their products.After all the more sold per quarter and unit the better from their perspective .. aka the bottom line. A Catch 22 , dont you agree?

chrischris 10-31-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 6986151)

Some think so , gop maybe?

mikeler 10-31-2012 03:01 PM

I never said anything about privatizing FEMA. Read people.

chrischris 10-31-2012 03:13 PM

FEMA is doing what they are supposed to do this time.

To cut them wouldnt be a good idea.

mikeler 10-31-2012 03:22 PM

Talking politics Chris?