Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   USA tennis vacation - Where?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444391)

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 10:34 AM

USA tennis vacation - Where??

Im think of travelling to some place warm in the US to play and play with other rec player at 4.5 to 5.5 level as well as play open and USTA (if possible) tournaments every week for about a month. My plan is also to supplement this with paid lessons/training from/with local high level players (ie 6.0-6.5). I dont mind travelling 500-1000 miles to the next tournament, this would also give me a chance to see different areas/states of the US.

I would be going around mid november.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

GRANITECHIEF 10-30-2012 11:25 AM

So-Cal or So-Florida most likely.

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANITECHIEF (Post 6984188)
So-Cal or So-Florida most likely.

Can u be more specific? How would i go about finding suitable tournaments or where to find player of my own level who whould be interested in playing several hours a day, during the day?

mikeler 10-30-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 6984194)
Can u be more specific? How would i go about finding suitable tournaments or where to find player of my own level who whould be interested in playing several hours a day, during the day?

Go on the USTA site and do some tournament searches.

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6984208)
Go on the USTA site and do some tournament searches.

Dn u know if i can play regular eg 5.0 USTA tournaments right off the plane or do i need a license first or something?

mikeler 10-30-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 6984274)
Dn u know if i can play regular eg 5.0 USTA tournaments right off the plane or do i need a license first or something?

You can sign up for 5.0 right away since the USTA uses a self rate system at first.

ssgator80 10-30-2012 12:48 PM

You can usually find an open tournament somewhere in FL every weekend. Heck, if you just stayed in SF, you could probably play an open every weekend. Open's will have larger draws. 5.0 are usually very small draws.

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6984283)
You can sign up for 5.0 right away since the USTA uses a self rate system at first.

That sounds awesome! Even if im not a Yankee, nor green card or voting card holder? All i have is a pair of stars n stripes speedos!

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgator80 (Post 6984327)
You can usually find an open tournament somewhere in FL every weekend. Heck, if you just stayed in SF, you could probably play an open every weekend. Open's will have larger draws. 5.0 are usually very small draws.

That sounds really great, i hear that SF is a great city even if ur not homosexual or bicurious :confused: Do u think that it would be easy to find players at my own level to play with during the week? And how would u go about that? Go to the club/courts where the next tournament is held or just try my luck at some public courts? How is the weather in SF now? Fally?

gavna 10-30-2012 01:32 PM

For November Florida, Texas and California are your best bets.......just look over the USTA website as mentioned before......in each area you will find weekly events and tons of players.

Chotobaka 10-30-2012 03:01 PM

South Florida gives you the most tennis options and warm ocean temperatures compared to California. Although it is one of my favorite places, the Florida Panhandle, aka "Redneck Riviera" :-), can get downright cold in November. Weather is Texas can be quite inhospitable at that time of year, too.

ssgator80 10-30-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

That sounds really great, i hear that SF is a great city even if ur not homosexual or bicurious
Sorry - that is SF - South Florida - not San Francisco. So your Speedos will do just great there also

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6984439)
For November Florida, Texas and California are your best bets.......just look over the USTA website as mentioned before......in each area you will find weekly events and tons of players.

If all else was equal i would probably choose "the south"/Texas as i have never been to "redneck" country (no offense intended, really!) and think that could be fun. I have been to both the east and west coast.

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6984613)
South Florida gives you the most tennis options and warm ocean temperatures compared to California. Although it is one of my favorite places, the Florida Panhandle, aka "Redneck Riviera" :-), can get downright cold in November. Weather is Texas can be quite inhospitable at that time of year, too.

OK ic!

Redneck Riviera lol :)

Im a bit confused though, are u saying that the Florida Panhandle (dont know if that means the whole of Florida?!) is differet from SF or are u saying that even SF can get cold in November?? And inhospitable Texas weather in Nov. that means cold right?

So no guarantee of nice warm tennis weather in Nov/dec anywhere?

peoplespeace 10-30-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssgator80 (Post 6984664)
Sorry - that is SF - South Florida - not San Francisco. So your Speedos will do just great there also

Ahh ok, i was indeed thinking of San Francisco!

gavna 10-31-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 6984992)
OK ic!

Redneck Riviera lol :)

Im a bit confused though, are u saying that the Florida Panhandle (dont know if that means the whole of Florida?!) is differet from SF or are u saying that even SF can get cold in November?? And inhospitable Texas weather in Nov. that means cold right?

So no guarantee of nice warm tennis weather in Nov/dec anywhere?

Redneck Riviera is the Panhandle of Florida - Pensacola, Pamana City, Ft Walton, Destin...etc. BUT most all of Florida is pretty "redneck" - anything north of Orlando and its not much different than Alabama or Georgia its all deep south.

The large cities like Tampa, Miami, Ft Laurderdale...etc full of transplants and snowbirds from the North and all over latin America and have a different vibe......

gavna 10-31-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoplespeace (Post 6984980)
If all else was equal i would probably choose "the south"/Texas as i have never been to "redneck" country (no offense intended, really!) and think that could be fun. I have been to both the east and west coast.

As for Texas in November the best place for Tennis would be in the Hill Country - Austin, San Antonio - weather still nice ( can start to get chilly) but for the most part you can have lots of days where it can hit well above 70s (20+c). also warm in Corpus Christi region with again lots and lots of Tennis events across the state.

Check out New Braunfels - where Newks is - lots of adult clinics -

Where it gets cold would be North Texas like Dallas and out west in Amarillo, Lubbock....by mid November down right brutal

tennis_balla 10-31-2012 06:24 AM

Florida, anywhere in southern Florida. Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa Bay etc. Tons of tennis centers, players, coaches, academies etc all fairly close to each other and lots of tournaments.

It'll save you money traveling all over and Florida is cheaper then California by a fair bit.

Chotobaka 10-31-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6985359)
Redneck Riviera is the Panhandle of Florida - Pensacola, Pamana City, Ft Walton, Destin...etc. BUT most all of Florida is pretty "redneck" - anything north of Orlando and its not much different than Alabama or Georgia its all deep south.

The large cities like Tampa, Miami, Ft Laurderdale...etc full of transplants and snowbirds from the North and all over latin America and have a different vibe......

The old saying about Florida: "the farther north you go, the farther south you get". I do truly love the Panhandle though -- Cola to Cola (Apalachicola to Pensacola). We try to get there once a year, basing ourselves in Destin. In a way it is like the inbred child of California and the Deep South. Heck, Destin gets TV signal straight from Mobile, AL. :-)

For the OP, be sure to do some research into tennis in and around Boca Raton.

peoplespeace 10-31-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 6985359)

Ok intere!sting, tx for the insights!