Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NBA 2012-13 Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444414)

stringertom 10-30-2012 02:29 PM

NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Have at it guys & gals! Lakers go for the Bulls' best season record and sweep the Heat in The Finals. Nash & The Real Big Baby unstoppable in the pick & roll and Kobe snipes away from beyond the arc. Best team ever!

soyizgood 10-30-2012 02:45 PM

I am not that sold on the Lakers. Then again, being in LA I am used to the Lakertards going oohs and ahhhs over any and everything Laker-related.

My issues with them:
* Brown is a DEFENSE-oriented coach that is not keen on running an up-tempo offense
* Brown is also a wimp. He can criticize the team and bench players, but Kobe, even with his 7-28 days, is uncoachable.
* Not enough balls for the big 4. Kobe will cramp Nash's ball-handling when forced into a half-court set.
* Free throws. Hack-a-Howard in effect.
* Hot heads. Kobe, Artest, and Howard are perennial technical foul magnets.
* Old legs. Kobe is running out of tricks to keep his knees working. Nash is headed for the same wall that struck Jason Kidd. Gasol doesn't mind being the 3rd or 4th option, but he can't be counted on to step up when it matters most.
* Defense and 3-point shooting. Lakers have been very sub-par in both areas the past two years. Howard doesn't do anything that much better than Bynum, while teams can go right past Nash. Not to mention Lakers can't figure out how to defend the pick-and-roll and kick-outs.

We shall see what happens.

soyizgood 10-31-2012 04:04 PM

Hmmm... any comments on last night's games?

LeeD 10-31-2012 04:38 PM

U mean Miami vs Boston? Kinda knew that one.
Was always the question, come crunch time, who brings it up? Nash or Kobe. If it's Kobe, he's probably taking the shot, taking Nash out of the offense. If it's Nash, he's still old and tiny, lost a step....
Tree Gasol is positioning challenged, especially against young legs.
Howard is the same guy, big, brutal, and very good before crunch time.
Start of preseason, I was amazed at the speed and athletics of the Dallas second stringers...the fastest in ball.

soyizgood 10-31-2012 08:14 PM

Mavs humbled the Lakers, but then get stomped by the Jazz. Not sure what to make of this team, but I think they'll take 1-1 being without Dirk.

volleygirl 11-01-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 6984565)
Have at it guys & gals! Lakers go for the Bulls' best season record and sweep the Heat in The Finals. Nash & The Real Big Baby unstoppable in the pick & roll and Kobe snipes away from beyond the arc. Best team ever!

An 0-8 preseason and now a 0-2 start to the season and you wanna lable them the best team ever?

stringertom 11-01-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 6988105)
An 0-8 preseason and now a 0-2 start to the season and you wanna lable them the best team ever?

The first word on the label is spelled: H Y P E R B O L E. Just said it to get people worked up and it worked! Ancient Kobe/Nash and brickthrower Howard will settle in and make the playoffs but they may be the second-best Staples Center team. The West is seriously up for grabs this year.