Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I have a cyber stalker (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444543)

ninman 11-01-2012 08:27 AM

I have a cyber stalker

Ok, so I've recently become the victim of a cyber stalker. I used to post on a Chinese news website, that's hosted in the US, where they translate news stories from Chinese to English.

One guy didn't like my posts, so he decided to look up my personal information online, posted it, then encouraged people to phone my work place and have me fired. He believed that posting negative comments about China would result in me being fired from my job in China.

The person has continued stalking me since. He started posting really weird, creepy comments, such as "nice house by a golf course". Indicating that he's seen a picture of my parents house, i.e. knows there home address and looked it up on google street view.

Another one said "nice picture of you with your niece", meaning he visited my facebook profile. I've also received threats as a result of this. I complained heavily to the website, but was banned, and was told they weren't going to do anything about it. That I had no legal ground on which to stand against this individual, and they would not be passing on his information to the police.

The problem is that the website is run by Chinese people, and the guy has a law degree (from China I presume). Since the website is hosted in the US, although run by Chinese people (in China), I presume that this falls under US law. Cyber stalking is obviously a crime, and what this individual did is a crime.

Can anyone give me any advice about what I can do about it? Thanks.

Dave M 11-01-2012 08:41 AM

Have you complained to the police? WEbsites or hostine won't want to get involved but it's not up to them wat to share.HOw'd he find your info? Has he done anything since you left that site?
See where the site is hosted as irrespective of where the person is if it's hosted in the US the cyber crime technically would of occured on US soil.Contact the local police there to get them to speak to the ISP people.

r2473 11-01-2012 08:58 AM

"Nice Calvin Klein briefs"

(Indicating by this that..........)

Fearsome Forehand 11-01-2012 09:11 AM

If you choose to post anything on the internet, make sure to do so anonymously. Otherwise, some nut who takes exception to your opinions may hunt you down.

The guy is probably harmless but obnoxious. Don't respond to him at all. Ignore him completely; he will grow tired of not being responded to and will move on to bother someone else. Take you facebook page down from public view, etc. Google yourself to see what is out there and try to reel it all in as much as practical.

You can try complaining to the US hosting site but it would be easier to ignore him until he goes away. Take you facebook page down from public view, etc. Block his email address, etc. And don't be so foolish to post anything traceable in the future. There are a lot of nuts out there.

I never did get why people are so stupid as to post their personal info on the internet. Identity theft is a big problem as is stalking. Why facilitate such activity?

sureshs 11-01-2012 09:40 AM

Keep your FB profile private

kalyan4fedever 11-01-2012 10:07 AM

hire a private stalker to stalk him.

usta2050 11-01-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 6988130)
hire a private stalker to stalk him.

very bad idea. don't make the situation worse.

LuckyR 11-01-2012 10:37 AM

This idiot is picking low hanging fruit (your public info on FB), so it is not like he is an elite hacker or something. Unfortunately because he is a mean spirited ideologue, there is no disuading him from doing what he is doing. He may even be immune to threats, as Internet cowards often are. From a practical standpoint your situation will only get better when he moves on to another target.

In fact, on that vein, you can facilitate this by creating a dummy FB account complete with work phone numbers, pictures etc and log onto the same site and pick a fight with the guy.

Of course your predicament is the sort of thing that older, more experienced (some would say wiser) folks look at and wonder why some people put personal, "private" information into a public Forum.

The Internet gives the illusion of anonymity, when in reality in most cases everything you do is directly traceable to you and will live forever in digital form.

usta2050 11-01-2012 11:25 AM

LuckR is absolutely right. you should always have a dummy account for differet groups of people. I have 2 for USTA.

DO NOT share info on FB and etc. nothing gets deleted.

Claudius 11-01-2012 12:20 PM

Did you say you have asperger's?

ninman 11-01-2012 02:37 PM

The first thing is that the admins decided to ban me from the site. The second thing is that I'm an academic. That means as part of my job I'm required to have my contact information publicly available.

The only information that I made available publicly was the same information all academics make publicly available. I.e. work address and email address. I've no idea how he got my parents address.

So yeah, googling me would yield my personal webpage, which had that information available. The admins insist he didn't actually commit a crime though, but yes, since then I've removed all that information from the net, set my facebook profile to private and so on.

I have written to the company that hosts the site, explaining the situation. I asked that they hand over this persons details to the police, the response.

"In 2002 Yahoo handed over details to the Chinese authorities, and that was very controversial..." So we don't hand over details without a court order.

Is there an email address of a police unit or something in the US I can contact? Most of his posts are still on the site, and I've taken screen shots as evidence. I'm sure they'll take it a lot more seriously than the admins have. Were I an admin though, I would have contacted the police already, seems like the responsible thing to do if you have a website surely?

SoBad 11-01-2012 03:20 PM

It sounds like you guys have some political issues to discuss. Why not meet for lunch and talk about it? Arrive early, keep your hands visible on the table, and smile.

P.S. Just in case, you could order a bottle of champagne early on (tell the waiter not to open it).

ramos77 11-01-2012 08:39 PM

I feel for your situation and I hope you work it out..

BUT why on earth would you post something like that when you don't have a private facebook page, and you were obviously using your real name on that website..

Rookie mistake. All the best.

Fearsome Forehand 11-01-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninman (Post 6988678)
The first thing is that the admins decided to ban me from the site. The second thing is that I'm an academic. That means as part of my job I'm required to have my contact information publicly available.

The only information that I made available publicly was the same information all academics make publicly available. I.e. work address and email address. I've no idea how he got my parents address.

So yeah, googling me would yield my personal webpage, which had that information available. The admins insist he didn't actually commit a crime though, but yes, since then I've removed all that information from the net, set my facebook profile to private and so on.

I have written to the company that hosts the site, explaining the situation. I asked that they hand over this persons details to the police, the response.

"In 2002 Yahoo handed over details to the Chinese authorities, and that was very controversial..." So we don't hand over details without a court order.

Is there an email address of a police unit or something in the US I can contact? Most of his posts are still on the site, and I've taken screen shots as evidence. I'm sure they'll take it a lot more seriously than the admins have. Were I an admin though, I would have contacted the police already, seems like the responsible thing to do if you have a website surely?

Understand all that, but the mistake you make was posting on a site under a name and/or email that was traceable back to you. Use an anonymous user name and an anonymous email address when using any site.

I think if you just ignore this idiot, he will go away. Just post under user names that are not traceable to you and use email addresses that are not traceable to you from now on wherever possible.

ninman 11-01-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6989313)
Understand all that, but the mistake you make was posting on a site under a name and/or email that was traceable back to you. Use an anonymous user name and an anonymous email address when using any site.

I think if you just ignore this idiot, he will go away. Just post under user names that are not traceable to you and use email addresses that are not traceable to you from now on wherever possible.

I've written to the Attorney General's office in the US asking them what to do. The site is hosted in the US, so I believe it falls under their jurisdiction.

The site's attitude is appalling though. He made blatant threats against me, e.g. "that's a nice picture of you with your niece. You seem like such a nice guy, too bad you were careless." They then banned both of us from the site, and won't turn his information over to the relevant authorities. Ridiculous.

usta2050 11-02-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninman (Post 6989363)
I've written to the Attorney General's office in the US asking them what to do. The site is hosted in the US, so I believe it falls under their jurisdiction.

The site's attitude is appalling though. He made blatant threats against me, e.g. "that's a nice picture of you with your niece. You seem like such a nice guy, too bad you were careless." They then banned both of us from the site, and won't turn his information over to the relevant authorities. Ridiculous.

That dude is sick.

krz 11-02-2012 05:59 AM

The internet is serious business.

Sentinel 11-04-2012 10:14 AM

Hey, ninman

Nice picture of you in the kitchen with the coackroaches.

You seem like such a nice guy, too bad you got a dirty kitchen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninman (Post 6989363)

db10s 11-04-2012 12:55 PM

Yeah, like Eric Holder will do anything... This comment is subject to deletion.

tennis_balla 11-04-2012 01:55 PM

Don't post anything online you wouldn't post on a bulletin board publicly at a bar or other places. Also, why do people leave half of their Facebook profile public? Where anyone can view family photos, vacation photos, wedding photos etc. If you wanna post it then fine, but make it private so only friends can view.