Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   USTA Youth Tennis Town Hall meeting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444639)

TennisFan2Day 11-02-2012 02:48 AM

USTA Youth Tennis Town Hall meeting
 
The 2012 ITA Coaches Convention is at the Waldorf Astoria Naples in Naples, Florida this year. They are going to have one of the USTA Youth Tennis Town Hall meetings there. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

http://www.itatennis.com/AboutITA/Convention/2012.htm

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2012
12:15-2:00pm
USTA YOUTH TENNIS TOWN HALL & LUNCHEON
(Comp for Meeting Attendees - Advance RSVP & TICKET required)

It will cost $280 to attend. You have to be registered for the weekend.

fitmom 11-02-2012 08:16 AM

you have to pay $280 to attend this "listening meeting"???? seriously???? USTA, please fix this - you are just feeding the argument that tennis is only for the wealthy. these meetings should be open to all, free of charge.

kme5150 11-02-2012 08:35 AM

I would doubt it is $280 since it says "comp for meeting attendees". I think you could get a ticket just to hear what they have to say. I couldn't find anything about it on the junior usta site so my guess is that they really don't want a lot of people there.

fitmom 11-02-2012 11:01 AM

taken directly from the convention's website:

Youth Tennis Town Hall & Luncheon, presented by the USTA (Sunday, Dec. 16th, 12:15 - 2:00 pm)
An overview of the 10 and Under Tennis efforts for coaches and opinion leaders registered for the Convention.


registration now costs $280 since it is after the early-bird deadline.

fitmom 11-02-2012 11:07 AM

sorry, non-coach attendees who register through an ITA coach can get in for $155.

Alohajrtennis 11-02-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisFan2Day (Post 6989575)
The 2012 ITA Coaches Convention is at the Waldorf Astoria Naples in Naples, Florida this year. They are going to have one of the USTA Youth Tennis Town Hall meetings there. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

http://www.itatennis.com/AboutITA/Convention/2012.htm

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2012
12:15-2:00pm
USTA YOUTH TENNIS TOWN HALL & LUNCHEON
(Comp for Meeting Attendees - Advance RSVP & TICKET required)

It will cost $280 to attend. You have to be registered for the weekend.

I think the intention is for the USTA to get feedback from the various constituents of the national junior tennis system. This meeting is an ideal forum to get feedback from college coaches. I am sure, well almost sure, there will be other forums more appropriate for tennis parent and other constituents.

10ismom 11-18-2012 10:10 AM

Notes from the 1st USTA Town Hall Meeting
 
Notes from the 1st USTA Town Hall Meeting 11/17/12

from Parentingaces blog
Hope "fitmom" would not mind sharing.

The following information was emailed to me by a parent who was in attendance at the Reston, VA, “listening” meeting held by USTA. I am reprinting it exactly as it was sent to me. Please read and share with other tennis parents and coaches so our voices will be heard. Thank you.

USTA Town Hall Meeting

11/17/2012

Mid-Atlantic Annual Meeting — Reston, VA

Representing the USTA: Lew Brewer, Director Junior Competition

Scott Schultz, Managing Director, Youth Tennis

Scott Schultz (SS): Introduction

wants to really listen and wants participants to leave feeling like they have listened

This is 1st town hall meeting

This is not about kids going pro. These proposed changes affect critical group of kids: those who devote the most time, energy, and money, and those with lots at stake — college, scholarships, etc.

Lew Brewer (LB): effort is to serve vast majority of players competing

it is NOT about trying to make great players

the tournament structure is there: if it works for you use it, if not, don’t

the junior tennis competition committee was asked to look at changes that would increase player development, increase affordability, and decrease missed school (and missed work for parents)

the vast majority of players are better served by playing locally

only changes that will happen in 2013: new nat’l doubles tournament (to be played at us open series event) and new national grand masters tournament

in 2014 draw sizes for hard courts and clay courts will be reduced (assuming USTA approves committee’s recommendation to postpone this change for 2013)

Q (audience member): why reduce draw size?

LB: it used to be 128

the purpose of these tournaments is to crown a national champion and therefore they need the best players

Coach Chuck Kriese (CK):
I agree with the reduction. The field at Kalamazoo has been diluted. Recently, there were 51 defaults in the backdraw. Lots of kids cramp the first day because they are not prepared to win, they are there just to have shown up. But maybe there can be a qualifying tournament.

Q: If there were 51 kids pulling out of the backdraw, the majority was actually those kids who came expecting to win and wanted only to be part of main draw. It was not kids who were so excited just to get in.

Q: There are amazing kids who are between 128 and 192, or even alternates who get in and have phenomenal tournaments.

It is also much better for college coaches to have larger draws.

If a parent doesn’t want to travel, they always have that option.

LB: We could debate this issue all day and would still disagree.

Q: Have you studied the impact of those kids between 128 and 192?

LB: Yes, we studied players who lost 1st round to see how they did in backdraw but I don’t have the results with me. There have been kids who have done very well, even a kid who made it to quarters of Kalamazoo.

But players will now qualify solely based on results in section and this will greatly change the complexion of who makes it.

Q: But mid-atlantic is so strong, it will be impossible for all of the great players to get in. Our number 8 kid could be top 100 in the country and not get in.

LB: they will have to work hard and train hard and win.

Q: There are other very valid reason for tournament besides crowing a national champion. These tournaments give kids an incredible opportunity to learn and grow and improve.

Q: Could you make some change so older kids don’t lose their last chance to play?

SS: maybe we could look at phasing it in with 12s first.

Q: The proposed quota/endorsement system does not work for a section like the mid-atlantic. Why is size relevant? The 8th player in the 14s in the midatlantic is in the top 100 nationally but would not be allowed to play. There are 16 midatlantic players in the 14s in the top 200 nationally. Meanwhile, the top kids on different sections would get spots even though they could be in the 600s nationally.

LB: Many people have argued it should just be the best players but the structure of the USTA demands that every section is represented.

SS: There will never be traction on this issue. Midatlantic has to make a proposal and fight that fight.

Bonnie Vona, mid-atlantic: under the current structure these issues are addressed. Every section gets endorsements, and others can get in off of the NSL.

Q: much better for college coaches to have larger draw sizes.

If player is injured in summer out of luck unless they have Easter Bowl or winter nationals.

Q: at NCAA division 1 tournament, only 22 of 128 players were american.(Collette had corrected on Parentingaces blog 11/18/12 to be 61 of 128 players were American)

CK: Very big and serious issue.

Only Americans in top 50 or 60 can easily play — otherwise competing against all international players.

$63 million in scholarships given to foreign players.

Q: So can’t the uSTA address this issue and help US kids play tennis for US colleges?

SS: this issue is incredibly upsetting and we have to do something.

Q: If we are not competing well internationally, how do we improve kids beyond top 50?

LB: Most kids better served by competing locally

CK: kids should play with people of all different ages. See universal tennis.com ratings. Play should not be so age specific.

Q: Keeping kids playing in their sections limits playing styles and chance to play different types of players.

LB: Lots of different playing styles in mid-atlantic.

SS: 88,000 kids play tournaments. 370,000 play in high school. Tournaments don’t work for all kids. It is very impt for kids to compete against different ages.

Q: there are many reasons to compete in a national championship besides crowning the one national champion.

it is very important to college recruiting to have larger draw sizes.

The quotas are horrible.

LB: explains how quotas will work.

Q: in mid-atlantic, the top players don’t play sectionals — only nationals and ITF’s. Won’t the quotas force them back into sectional play?

LB: yes.

Q: The quotas are the most disturbing proposal. Will take away a kid’s chance to play and that will squash all enthusiasm.

LB: quotas are good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Q: There needs to be two means of entry: quotas and NSL. ANd no player should get in off of a quota unless they have a minimum ranking on the NSL.

SS: New email address for comments: letusknow@usta.com. We are absolutely open to making adjustments. We won’t be going back to the system as it is but we can make the changes better.

The proposed dates for the remaining “listening” meetings are as follows:

November 24: Boys & Girls 14s National Open, Rocky Hill, CT
December 16: ITA Convention (for convention attendees only), Naples FL
December 26: 16s & 18s Winter Nationals, Scottsdale, AZ
December 27: 12s & 14s Winter Nationals, Tucson, AZ
Jan. 10-13: Southern Section annual meeting, Atlanta, GA
Feb. 15-17: Texas Section annual meeting, Grapevine, TX

Okay, this is Lisa “talking” again. It is crucial that parents and coaches take the time to educate themselves on the issues and attend these meetings. If you can’t attend a meeting, then please use the new email address, letusknow@usta.com, to communicate your concerns. I propose that we identify one or two parents in each USTA section to act as the voices for the section. If you are interested in serving in that capacity, please contact me ASAP so we can get to work on compiling a list of speaking points. Your ideas are welcome in the Comments section below. If we present a united front to the USTA, letting them know that parents and coaches are on the same page and are only interested in what’s best for our junior players, I believe we stand a decent chance of being heard. The onus is on us now. USTA is providing the forum – we must seize the opportunity!

Alohajrtennis 11-18-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 7023021)
Notes from the 1st USTA Town Hall Meeting 11/17/12

from Parentingaces blog
Hope "fitmom" would not mind sharing.

The following information was emailed to me by a parent who was in attendance at the Reston, VA, “listening” meeting held by USTA. I am reprinting it exactly as it was sent to me. Please read and share with other tennis parents and coaches so our voices will be heard. Thank you.

Thanks for posting this, great info. I have been parsing this primarily looking for areas of compromise and nothing jumps out. A couple comments from Scott Schultz(for example recognizes the college scholarship problem "this issue is incredibly upsetting and we have to do something") seem positive but no surprises from Lew "Ill send the a T-Shirt" Brewer, man is stubborn as mule. Typical LB quotes : "We could debate this issue all day and would still disagree." ; "the tournament structure is there: if it works for you use it, if not, don’t".

I dont know if they figured this out yet, but Lew's not the listening type. If it's him they send out on a listening tour, this effort is doomed.

ClarkC 11-18-2012 11:14 AM

If the only purpose of Kalamazoo is to crown a national champion, then why do they have a back draw at all?

HIGH-TECH TENNIS 11-18-2012 12:27 PM

Raise your hand if you're surprised. :(

jigglypuff 11-18-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks for the update. Very indicative of Lew's condescending manner. I believe it is going to be more of the same unless we have someone with more authority on the parent's side attending these meetings.

MarTennis 11-19-2012 07:07 AM

I think I love Lew Brewer. Sounds like he has a backbone.

10ismom 11-19-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7024329)
I think I love Lew Brewer. Sounds like he has a backbone.

So you think having a national championship tournament just to crown a champion is right?
There is no need for other players (from not so strong sections unlike your Ca) to compete with good players from other sections and develop? Most juniors are not going pros....just so you know.

We live in a strong section and the new schedule won't affect us. Above is a fair question to ask.

MarTennis 11-19-2012 08:12 AM

I think is much more important to emphasize better tennis in each section and if detering weak first rounds assist with driving motivation to be better across sections I am willing to give it a chance. MOST juniors do not play of a quality to go to a national tournament, thus I understand they are not going pro.

SoCal10s 11-19-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 7023120)
If the only purpose of Kalamazoo is to crown a national champion, then why do they have a back draw at all?


same thought when I read it.. ask them if ITF's tournaments have back-draws .. ITFs win or go home maybe is a bigger incentive to be the best...especially if you have to pay your own way and travel into a different country to play..

10ismom 11-19-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7024462)
MOST juniors do not play of a quality to go to a national tournament, thus I understand they are not going pro.

Only a fraction of the 128 draw in a national championship tournament aim to go pro. Perhaps only 5-10. The rest of the draws aim to play college or just to compete in the championship to measure themselves against peers from other sections.

If USTA will not help the rest of these dedicated tennis players develop to the next level then....... $63 million worth of scholarships to foreign players will grow bigger each year.

MarTennis 11-19-2012 09:07 AM

A view that I think is missed...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10ismom (Post 7024520)
Only a fraction of the 128 draw in a national championship tournament aim to go pro. Perhaps only 5-10. The rest of the draws aim to play college or just to compete in the championship to measure themselves against peers from other sections.

If USTA will not help the rest of these dedicated tennis players develop to the next level then....... $63 million worth of scholarships to foreign players will grow bigger each year.

...is that many kids go to the tournaments and are not being scouted but crossed off list. Why? The tourney reveals via 1st round massacres, that their are vast numbers of uncompetitive kids at nationals. Maybe explains why those college coaches then turnaround dole out the spoils of 4.5 scholarships to international players.

All that said, I am not discouraging all of you dedicated tennis parents for working to get what you think is right. I just am buying in that regional development, less travel, more planned player physical/mental growth and development is the efficient pathway for a speculative journey.

If a successful mutiny occurs then the way I've chosen to proceed or endorse if largely unaffected.

Alohajrtennis 11-19-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7024462)
I think is much more important to emphasize better tennis in each section and if detering weak first rounds assist with driving motivation to be better across sections I am willing to give it a chance. MOST juniors do not play of a quality to go to a national tournament, thus I understand they are not going pro.

Now national tournaments are only for those going pro? Did not know that.

If they are following the "Bryan Principle" (you have to beat everyone in you can drive to before you can get on the plane), why not just cut the draws to 17 then and be done with it then ?

Because even they now this is a guideline and a concept, not a rule. Fact is there is no general disagreement on the concept you must earn your way to nationals. We the disagreement is on how often the tournaments should be, how entrance is earned, and how many can earn there way in. Where's George when you need him ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxaF5Pq5D8

MarTennis 11-19-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 7024550)
Now national tournaments are only for those going pro? Did not know that.

If they are following the "Bryan Principle" (you have to beat everyone in you can drive to before you can get on the plane), why not just cut the draws to 17 then and be done with it then ?

Because even they now this is a guideline and a concept, not a rule. Fact is there is no general disagreement on the concept you must earn your way to nationals. We the disagreement is on how often the tournaments should be, how entrance is earned, and how many can earn there way in. Where's George when you need him ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxaF5Pq5D8

We know that national tournaments aren't the only way to go pro because scores of amateurs world round become pros without coming to play any USTA tournament first. High class, animalistic tennis can be had without any national tournaments. I have no major dog in this fight for larger or status quo national tournaments. It just does not figure in any equation I have for my children and this sport. We would be playing as a family, striving and sacrificing for this sport regardless.

kme5150 11-19-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7024575)
We know that national tournaments aren't the only way to go pro because scores of amateurs world round become pros without coming to play any USTA tournament first. High class, animalistic tennis can be had without any national tournaments. I have no major dog in this fight for larger or status quo national tournaments. It just does not figure in any equation I have for my children and this sport. We would be playing as a family, striving and sacrificing for this sport regardless.

The only ITF summer tournament is the Grass Court Championships and that is the first week in June when half the players in the country are taking their final exams. I wish we had summer ITF tournaments again. The competition would do the USTA some good.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse