Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Doubles players -- which is better: your FH or BH volley? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444710)

corbind 11-02-2012 10:10 PM

Doubles players -- which is better: your FH or BH volley?

Doubles players: which is better your backhand or forehand volley and why? (Complete the poll if applicable)

I play doubles most of the time and somehow I volley better backhand than forehand. I've thought about it quite a bit and it's due to a few things:
  • BH the ball is usually out in front of my body
  • BH volleys I usually watch the ball to the racquet
  • FH volleys often are parallel to my waist/hip so not in front as much
  • FH volleys I often don't watch the ball beginning about 4' in front of me to the stick

NTRPolice 11-02-2012 10:19 PM

My volleys are terrible, but I do "default" or "defer" to my backhand volley for balls close to the middle of my body. The one shot I dont like is the "too low for an overhead but too high to swing through" backhand volleys when im at the net. Those are really easy to send long, send into the net, or just send a floater to the baseline they can run down.

Even with all of this, Id still say my backhand volley is better.

dcdoorknob 11-02-2012 10:35 PM

My forehand volley is better. I just have a better feel for what I'm doing with the raquet face with my FH volley. BH volley I'm fine usually if I have time to orient myself but on the reflex type volleys sometimes I just leave the raquetface to open (sail long or pop-up sitter) or too closed (net!).

J011yroger 11-03-2012 04:10 AM

Most players who put any sort of effort into learning how to volley have a better BH volley in my experience.

J

dizzlmcwizzl 11-03-2012 05:06 AM

I think:

On your backhand side your body helps to lock in your elbow and helps to keep the ball out in front.

On the forehand side you have to much freedom of movement and it is easy to get out of whack ... swinging, wristing ect ...

tennis tom 11-03-2012 06:24 AM

If there's a choice of volleying a ball that's coming into the body, the back-hand is the better choice due to the anatomy of the shoulder joint.

Cindysphinx 11-03-2012 08:13 AM

I think a lot of people think the FH volley is easier than it is. FH volley can be tricky because folks often use the wrong grip, often backswing, often hit spreadeagle to the net.

1HBH volley has the advantage of almost requiring a shoulder turn.

How anyone hits a consistent sliced 2HBH volley when deep in the court or the ball is lower than the net is beyond me.

floridatennisdude 11-03-2012 08:26 AM

Low volley: forehand

Net height volley: backhand

High volley: forehand

Forehand wins 2 to 1

Rjtennis 11-03-2012 09:38 AM

Both are not great, but my forehand volley is a little better.

LeeD 11-03-2012 01:23 PM

I'm weird...
Half volleys, forehand side, easier to get my body moving forwards.
Low volleys, backhand side, easier to lift
Medium volleys, forehand side for pinpoint placement, backhand for penetration and lots of backspin.
High volleys, forehand side for most everyone.

blakesq 11-03-2012 01:30 PM

My forehand groundies are much stronger, and it translates to my forehand volleys being stronger too.

OrangePower 11-03-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 6992024)
Low volley: forehand

Net height volley: backhand

High volley: forehand

Forehand wins 2 to 1

Same as you for net height and high. But my low volley is better on the BH side. So for me, BH wins 2 - 1.

Interesting, since in terms of groundstrokes my FH is by far the stronger side.

BHiC 11-03-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 6991674)
Most players who put any sort of effort into learning how to volley have a better BH volley in my experience.

J

I don't know, I have certainly put plenty of effort into learning both volleys, and I play S&V at a high level about 50% of the time. My forehand volley is the more solid, consistent shot. I find I don't tend to swing quite as much on the forehand, and I can turn slightly easier.

LeeD 11-03-2012 03:53 PM

Interestingly, my 2hbh double conti volley is about the same as my 1hh conti volley. I played 3 years using FrewMcMillian's volley technique. Both require an aligned, closed stance, body moving forwards under/side spin shot. But 2hbh is stronger against hard hit pass attempts, while 1hbh has more flexibility for more different shots.

g4driver 11-03-2012 03:59 PM

forehand volley solid...backhand volley is better.

But my two handed backhand overhead is now a legit weapon. :) angled off the court for winners as often a forehand overhead. The difference is no one sees it coming when they lob your backhand.

LeeD 11-03-2012 04:05 PM

Don't they see it after the first lob over your backhand side?
While my forehand volley can be better, more consistent, and better placed than my backhand volleys, it really loses it's reliability when I"m not paying attention (reflex low volleys) and the other team crush's one knee high to me, and I dump it into the net going too flat....not reaching forwards to take it early.

g4driver 11-03-2012 04:26 PM

Nope, it takes them two or three times to learn. They think it is a fluke.

How many 3.5 or 4.0 players do you see hit a 2HBH overhead for winners?

LeeD 11-03-2012 04:32 PM

I think they see, it the first time, but are testing you to see if you can replicate it over and over, then just hit another weak lob to your backhand side, wait until you're about to hit it, then run full speed to cover their duece corner, going DTL to pass you....

LeeD 11-03-2012 04:33 PM

sorry, that last post needed a :) to start, and another :):) at the finish.
Great you can pumell a 2hbh overhead.

g4driver 11-03-2012 04:58 PM

LeeD,

if someone hits a weak lob to my backhand, the point is going to end. I will either miss the overhead wide to the Ad court or the ball is going over the side fence on the Ad court.

I don't ever hit this shot to their deuce court, and not one 4.0 or 3.5 player as returned a weak lob hit to my backhand this year.

The shot is so natural once you learn it. I will see if I can get you some video at a practice against my teammates.