Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bulletproof Diet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444711)

rk_sports 11-02-2012 11:07 PM

Bulletproof Diet

It is some variation of Paleo ...

The Complete Illustrated One Page Bulletproof Diet

Dave Asprey talking at the Silicon Valley Health Institute

Bulletproof ... fun name for sure :) ... eating chunks of butter for breakfast sounds a bit scary

Has anyone trying it out? What is your experience?
Any criticisms?

NTRPolice 11-03-2012 05:42 AM

Fad diet; rebranded "keto" diet; guy trying to make a quick buck off the weak minded.

Remember: Keto diets alter your brain chemistry. It's origins are from a diet designed for kids with seizures.

I use ketogenic diets to "cut" every once in a while.

You do not want to do any diet like this over a long period of time... unless you're a child with seizures under the guidance of a medical professional.

r2473 11-03-2012 05:47 AM

This is the dumbest **** I have ever seen. I can't even begin on this. I read through his first portion on losing 100 pounds, and every single claim he cites is a single mechanism taken wildly out of context. I mean, his first citation on cereal grains links to an article that doesn't say "Avoid them", but simply points out that substituting homogenous foods with low nutrient density for a variety of foods can result in certain nutrient deficiencies. Yet this is part of his rationale for avoiding all grains.

It's bro science... the entire thing. The entire god damn website. I have never seen a more carefully constructed pile of ******** in my life.

For grins, I'm reading comments. Every time he gets called out, he basically states "You haven't read the literature". Great defense. "You're wrong because I know more".

Wow.

Just, wow..

Itagaki 11-03-2012 01:56 PM

I've never read through his bulletproof diet

But I have tried the bulletproof coffee (albeit with waaaaay less butter and MCT than he prescribes) back when I first started drinking it (and was unaccustomed to the taste)

I find butter in coffee can be quite satisfying though

Regarding it as being a scam, is he charging for information on the diet? As far as I could see he only charges for supplements and such

rk_sports 11-04-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itagaki (Post 6992767)
I've never read through his bulletproof diet

But I have tried the bulletproof coffee (albeit with waaaaay less butter and MCT than he prescribes) back when I first started drinking it (and was unaccustomed to the taste)

I find butter in coffee can be quite satisfying though

Regarding it as being a scam, is he charging for information on the diet? As far as I could see he only charges for supplements and such

Turns out I heard about that bulletproof coffee watching a Joe Rogan's podcast and started to read more about it and found this bulletproof diet ... anyways, what was your experience in terms of health feedback for using bulletproof coffee? by tried I assume you don't have it anymore... any specific reason?

Itagaki 11-04-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 6994962)
Turns out I heard about that bulletproof coffee watching a Joe Rogan's podcast and started to read more about it and found this bulletproof diet ... anyways, what was your experience in terms of health feedback for using bulletproof coffee? by tried I assume you don't have it anymore... any specific reason?

Not sure what you mean by health feedback. I probably didn't try it for a long enough period of time to really make a call on it.

I will say it puts off appetite extremely well though. The appetite suppression of coffee along with the very filling fat of the butter makes it pretty easy to go a long time without eating (the MCT's give you a quick burst of energy, they digest fast so that plus caffeine keeps you going in the morning)

I found it very tasty, but it wasn't particularly in line with my goals or the diet I chose to follow (though similar in spirit). Like I said earlier, the dude calls for massive amounts of MCT and butter in the coffee, and MCT oil can get expensive. It did make drinking the coffee very easy though. Now that I'm more or less used to the taste, I can have it with just a tbsp of MCT oil and leave out the butter.

Basically I couldn't get past or accept the notion of consuming massive amounts of calories via fat and protein and allow ketosis or ketogenesis make up for the surplus

Once in a while i'll have the butter though (1-2 tbsp max), an example might be if because of my sleeping and eating schedule I haven't had a meal in over 14 hours (such as last food consumed at 8pm, wake up at 10 the next day).

If you're interested in it, be sure to get the good quality butter, kerrygold unsalted for example

NTRPolice 11-06-2012 05:46 AM

Whenever I keto-cut I always do so off season. I honestly think I almost died during a match because I was doing a 2 week cut in the middle of the tennis season.

Some people say you have "loads of energy" but I always feel really terrible on it and my energy becomes depleted extremely quickly.

I dont buy supplements or eat plain butter by itself (lol) but I do try to eat as many calories I can while staying under 10g of carbs for the day. I dont know about you, but this is extremely hard to do if you want to do it legit.

I usually do this off season while I left so if I ever feel dizzy or whatever im not in the middle of a match in the hot sun. I also lift on machines so I dont kill myself if I pass out, and im in the air conditioned gym to avoid heat stroke ect.

I eat a lot of cream cheese, and use butter for lubing everything. I've not eaten plain butter though, lol.

I usually cook two whole bags of Costco spinach (it looks like its a lot, but when you cook it, theres practically nothing left) with 1 stick of butter per bag and about 5 cloves of garlic. I use that as a "garnish" for everything.

My staple meal is 6 whole eggs, scrambled, 1/4 stick of butter, and one "grab" of the cooked spinach + S&P.

I usually snack on cream cheese (gotta watch the carbs, read the label when buying)

Buy keto sticks to ensure you stay in ketosis.

Drink lots of water.

Douching your bunghole with coffee, eating sticks of butter, buying "branded" diet supplements not needed.

Itagaki 11-06-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTRPolice (Post 6997885)
Whenever I keto-cut I always do so off season. I honestly think I almost died during a match because I was doing a 2 week cut in the middle of the tennis season.

Some people say you have "loads of energy" but I always feel really terrible on it and my energy becomes depleted extremely quickly.

I dont buy supplements or eat plain butter by itself (lol) but I do try to eat as many calories I can while staying under 10g of carbs for the day. I dont know about you, but this is extremely hard to do if you want to do it legit.

I usually do this off season while I left so if I ever feel dizzy or whatever im not in the middle of a match in the hot sun. I also lift on machines so I dont kill myself if I pass out, and im in the air conditioned gym to avoid heat stroke ect.

I eat a lot of cream cheese, and use butter for lubing everything. I've not eaten plain butter though, lol.

I usually cook two whole bags of Costco spinach (it looks like its a lot, but when you cook it, theres practically nothing left) with 1 stick of butter per bag and about 5 cloves of garlic. I use that as a "garnish" for everything.

My staple meal is 6 whole eggs, scrambled, 1/4 stick of butter, and one "grab" of the cooked spinach + S&P.

I usually snack on cream cheese (gotta watch the carbs, read the label when buying)

Buy keto sticks to ensure you stay in ketosis.

Drink lots of water.

Douching your bunghole with coffee, eating sticks of butter, buying "branded" diet supplements not needed.

The whole dying part might've been due to lack of glycogen during exercise

Part of the reason I couldn't maintain a Cyclical Keto diet is because I was still in the gym 5 days/week training hard (didnt cut back...probably should've). It was awful, even with weekly refeeds

GuyClinch 11-07-2012 07:18 AM

Hardly seems like a scam or bro science. Paleo is very effective way to auto-regulate your caloric intake IMHO. My only gripe with it is the hatred of cheese. I don't understand the rationale for that..

Cheese is high in fat and protien and often without carbs. I don't think the higher insulin response should put it on the never eat list..

r2473 11-07-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyClinch (Post 7000161)
Hardly seems like a scam or bro science.

I was referring to how this particular guy backs up his assertions. His method of reasoning. What he has cited to back up his claims.

To use a very bad analogy, Paleo dieting can be a "scam" in much the same way religious belief can be a scam. The Bible, Quran, Buddhism, etc certainly contain "wisdom", but it doesn't necessarily mean that all their followers have gained or are in a position to teach this wisdom.

I'm laughing at the messenger, not necessarily the message.