Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Why do people string crosses higher or lower than the mains? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444761)

Francis27 11-03-2012 03:52 PM

Why do people string crosses higher or lower than the mains?

Hi i would just like to know why some people string the crosses higher or lower than the mains or the mains tighter than the crosses or lower.

Is there a benefit to that? What does it do?

Example: Babolat RPM Team 54/57lb or 56/53

red rook 11-03-2012 05:53 PM

Usually its stiffer in the mains than in the crosses and this is because of the longer string diatance that a main string has over the cross string. But that's not always the case, some people prefer the crosses the same or tighter.

zapvor 11-03-2012 06:38 PM

because federer does it

coolblue123 11-03-2012 08:13 PM

i wonder does it deform the racquet if the tension difference between mains/cross is alot? perhaps > 5 lbs?

boinz 11-03-2012 10:04 PM

Yes, there is deformation. One of my prestige mid strung only at 55/53 actually become rounder in the hoop compared to another which is strung 55/55
And I'm worried!

pvaudio 11-03-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boinz (Post 6993476)
Yes, there is deformation. One of my prestige mid strung only at 55/53 actually become rounder in the hoop compared to another which is strung 55/55
And I'm worried!

Don't be. Head frames do this all the time. The Speed Pro even looks circular once strung.

OHBH 11-03-2012 10:29 PM

I find stringing crosses a little tighter helps bring some more of the racket's power into the upper hoop.

Bartelby 11-03-2012 10:41 PM

The usual advice is lower crosses for power, and added sweetspot, and higher crosses for control.

Where the strings are different the rule is the stiffer the string, wherever placed, the lower the tension.

anubis 11-07-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6993482)
Don't be. Head frames do this all the time. The Speed Pro even looks circular once strung.

Not necessarily. Sure, when I string my head frames, they always look circular because I suck at stringing. But whenever I get them strung professionally, they maintain their normal shape and dimensions. I think better stringing machines can keep a Head racquet staying put.

lwto 11-07-2012 07:37 AM

I have found that if your racquet head gets deformed during stringing, its usually the fault of the stringer. Probably and this is from personal experience, the racquet is not seated properly. You will find this usually from a stringing machine that has 6 pts of contacts instead of the 6: 12: oclock contacts.

Need to seat the racquet very loosely in the bed so that the contact pts of the machine just barely touch the frame.

Strange but its what works.. there is a good video from babolat, you can search on the internet on how to properly seat your racquet. It specifies for babolat machines but I"m sure its universal for any 6 pt mounting systems.

Tennishacker 11-07-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6993508)
The usual advice is lower crosses for power, and added sweetspot, and higher crosses for control.

Where the strings are different the rule is the stiffer the string, wherever placed, the lower the tension.

Is there any scientific testing done on this theory?

anubis 11-07-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7000551)
Is there any scientific testing done on this theory?

All I know is, when the crosses are strung tighter than the mains, it increases the overall reference tension significantly. Perhaps its a good way to get a tighter stringbed without stringing the mains terribly tight... for instance if you have nat gut and don't want to go too far with it?

fortun8son 11-07-2012 11:20 PM

I think that 'lower cross=wider sweetspot' is a myth.
It may have applied way back when, but not with modern frames.
The frames deform and, yes, if your frame is now shorter and wider, the sweetspot will also be marginally wider.

Orion3 11-07-2012 11:59 PM

I only string crosses at different tensions when stringing poly hybrids and that is because the poly is naturally stiffer than natural gut.

For full poly beds I string at a uniform tension. My racquet heads remain uniform in shape.

Interestingly, I did buy a PT630 a little while back where the crosses were strung at 2lb tighter and the shape was extended. Once I cut them out, it returned to its normal shape within an hour.

COPEY 11-08-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7001757)
I think that 'lower cross=wider sweetspot' is a myth.
It may have applied way back when, but not with modern frames.
The frames deform and, yes, if your frame is now shorter and wider, the sweetspot will also be marginally wider.

Agree. I think that if there is a widening effect, it's negligble/imperceptible. Some I'm sure will swear they can tell the difference, but to that I say people often see/hear/feel what they want to. Still, I've yet to find data that shows looser crosses widen the sweetspot...and I've looked!

quest01 11-18-2012 05:18 AM

Ive noticed the crosses tend to be looser and move around a little more so I tension the crosses about a pound higher.