Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What is going to happen with green balls? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444772)

high and deep 11-03-2012 08:48 PM

What is going to happen with green balls?

What is the USTA's position on the use of green balls in tournaments and is anything going to be changing in the next year.

Here in Tennessee they are being used in the 12's novice (level 5's) in some events but not in all level 5's. They are not used in any level 4's or above.

I had heard USTA was going to mandate 12's going to green ball...

Any news or resources would be appreciated

Tennisstringz 11-04-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high and deep (Post 6993430)
What is the USTA's position on the use of green balls in tournaments and is anything going to be changing in the next year.

Here in Tennessee they are being used in the 12's novice (level 5's) in some events but not in all level 5's. They are not used in any level 4's or above.

I think this green ball is the best thing to ever happen to the 10 yr old diviions. Its been 6-8 years since my kids have been in 10 and under. I saw one of the sectional tournaments recently and was shocked that the kids were hitting flatter top spin shots and actually constructing points. Back when they used normal balls there was moon balling with really crappy strokes. The kids who won were mostly heavy big kids who could hit the live ball too fast for any little kid to cover. The other kids were the dinkers and moonballers who just tried to hit high and bounce the ball out of strike zones. The tennis was horrible and a waste of time back with the live ball. Kids back then were rewarded for hitting frusteating type of shots instead of building technique and strategy. I can see the improvement in technique already. Thank you USTA for making the move to low compression for the little ones.

gplracer 11-04-2012 08:53 AM

In Georgia the green ball is used in level 4 and 5 tournaments in the 12s. I would like to see it used in only level 5 tournaments for the 12s and then in southern level 3 and above in the 10s.

high and deep 11-04-2012 03:49 PM

I'm not too far from Georgia so if we need some more competition in the green ball department and it is good to know we can head there.

My kids played a green ball match and it went very well. There were very few balls that were unplayable because they were way too high bouncing.

I can see us playing lots of events in the next year and then transitioning over to yellow balls 1 year before they have to play there on a permanent basis.

gplracer 11-04-2012 05:23 PM

Don't get me wrong I think green ball is great. I just would rather see yellow ball in the level 4 tournaments. A lot of the level 3 ournaments are level 3 southern tournaments so you hate to see that as the first experience with yellow ball.

NLBwell 11-04-2012 06:51 PM

I like using green balls for training my young son, but at 12 years old, there are quite a few kids who are 6' tall or close to that these days. Seems that there should be tournaments of both types at many levels.

Number1Coach 11-05-2012 02:27 AM

They will slowly fade away

KevinB9986 11-05-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisstringz (Post 6993787)
I think this green ball is the best thing to ever happen to the 10 yr old diviions. Its been 6-8 years since my kids have been in 10 and under. I saw one of the sectional tournaments recently and was shocked that the kids were hitting flatter top spin shots and actually constructing points. Back when they used normal balls there was moon balling with really crappy strokes. The kids who won were mostly heavy big kids who could hit the live ball too fast for any little kid to cover. The other kids were the dinkers and moonballers who just tried to hit high and bounce the ball out of strike zones. The tennis was horrible and a waste of time back with the live ball. Kids back then were rewarded for hitting frusteating type of shots instead of building technique and strategy. I can see the improvement in technique already. Thank you USTA for making the move to low compression for the little ones.

I have mixed feelings about green dots. I'm teaching my kid topsin serve and the greendot takes away from the bounce. Also, part of tennis is to be able to play against the people that have perfected the junk it up game with their bad strokes. A lot of the points with green dots end in accidental drop shots. On the other hand it enables smaller kids to be able to hit with the bigger kids making the points longer. So everyone gets to work on making their legs stronger.

ga tennis 11-05-2012 07:50 AM

They serve their purpose for young kids starting off in tennis. I think at 9 or 10 they should be using real balls.If you are trying to develop a player then it does more harm than good for 10,11,and 12 year olds to play green dot. It should have been used for under 10 division for level 4 and 5 tournaments. At 12 NO way should they be playing green dot unless they just play for fun. It teaches lazy footwork.

MarTennis 11-05-2012 08:12 AM

Not true...

Quote:

...whoever said 12s going green ball is blowing smoke.

ga tennis 11-05-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 6996108)
...whoever said 12s going green ball is blowing smoke.

In the Southern section well at least Georgia i know is green balls for 12s in level 4 and 5 tournaments already.Its ridiculous.

high and deep 11-05-2012 03:39 PM

I guess what I am gettting at with the green balls is...

who came up with the idea in the first place?

and was there ever a plan to create tournaments using them as a standard across the country or was it to be determined by each state as to what is done...

Alohajrtennis 11-05-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high and deep (Post 6997147)

and was there ever a plan to create tournaments using them as a standard across the country or was it to be determined by each state as to what is done...

Its mandated by the national level that they are to be used for all 10 and under sanctioned tournaments. However, some sections are, on their own initiative but with maybe some encouragement from national, adopting them for use in the 12U age group in novice/challenger/satellite tournaments(terminology varies by section). There is no 'mandate' for there use from national at the 12U level. This is a section level decision.

High Rustler 11-06-2012 04:27 AM

Is a "green ball" and a Green Dot Ball" the same? I too have seen pretty ridgid use of Green dot in 12u in georgia Level 4 and 5. I've also seen the two tone used in both. Two tone appeared even less compression than a green dot.

julian 11-06-2012 03:53 PM

Green Dot Balls

Quote:

Some clubs in MA use
Penn Control Plus Green Dot Tennis Balls 12 Can Case
The Head Control Plus Green Dot Balls are 25% reduced speed compared to regular duty tennis balls. This ball is designed for full court play. The balls feature a high visibility felt and offer greater control for longer rallies.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Penn...D-PCPGD12.html
Do they qualify for USTA tournaments you mentioned above?
PS
I apologize for duplicating post #14
I put my post before reading #14
I can remove my post if necessary

BMC9670 11-07-2012 10:46 AM

IMO, just like orange balls, green balls can serve a purpose at a specific stage of teaching/training, but mandating ANY ball based on age is counterproductive.

julian 11-08-2012 08:25 AM

Green Dot Balls

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7000773)
IMO, just like orange balls, green balls can serve a purpose at a specific stage of teaching/training, but mandating ANY ball based on age is counterproductive.

Green Dot Balls do create significant problems in the case
when a player is TAUGHT with regular balls
and has to play a tournament with Green Dots balls

BMC9670 11-08-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7002496)
Green Dot Balls do create significant problems in the case
when a player is TAUGHT with regular balls
and has to play a tournament with Green Dots balls

Yes, I agree. They should be part of a progression. If a kid has learned another way or has progressed past them, no point in going back.

Also, I think that if tennis is a kids main sport or if they play/train regularly, they should progress through non-standard balls fairly quickly. That is, if they utilize them at all.

I think it's crazy to start a kid at 6 and mandate that that kid has to play green at 10 or 12. If you start at 9, OK, I can see it, but there is no one-size fits all. Choices are good. Mandates are bad.

MarTennis 11-08-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7002759)
Yes, I agree. They should be part of a progression. If a kid has learned another way or has progressed past them, no point in going back.

Also, I think that if tennis is a kids main sport or if they play/train regularly, they should progress through non-standard balls fairly quickly. That is, if they utilize them at all.

I think it's crazy to start a kid at 6 and mandate that that kid has to play green at 10 or 12. If you start at 9, OK, I can see it, but there is no one-size fits all. Choices are good. Mandates are bad.

There is no mandate that they play green at 10 or 12. They can play regular ball open if they are advanced past the green ball. What 10u regular ball players don't deserve is there own regular ball division. Play up.

julian 11-08-2012 11:20 AM

I do NOT understand

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarTennis (Post 7002767)
There is no mandate that they play green at 10 or 12. They can play regular ball open if they are advanced past the green ball. What 10u regular ball players don't deserve is there own regular ball division. Play up.

MarTennis,
if a player/student comes to a 12 UNDER tournament and someone/tournament director brings GREEN
DOTS balls there is NOTHING a player can do.
The player has to play the given ball.
According to what I was told a player should expect/be ready for this scenario
even if he spent last five months playing REGULAR USPTA approved balls.
I do NOT mean to be disrespectful
I just plainly do NOT understand your post or I do NOT understand the phrase
"play green".
Maybe you meant green foam balls-please clarify.
It is possible that my problem is "local" and that I make big deal out of nothing but ...
regards,
Julian