Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Guitar gear, musings, opinions..etc thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=444806)

Power Player 11-04-2012 08:49 AM

Guitar gear, musings, opinions..etc thread

Guitar player has such nice gear that i figured id make a thread for all of us players to talk about guitar related stuff.

I sold about all of my gear, and just have an american tele, studio lp and some fender basses (my money makers). I lost all gear lust a long time ago, but now and then i want set up a nice versatile guitar rig that i can jam out with and record on. I have a soft spot for old used tube low watt tube amps. I love to double track a dirty gibson tone and blend in some tele under as well.

GP has the new bogner pedals, and those could be game changers. The bogner distortion sound is one of my all time favorites..so clean and versatile. Im real minimal so i was thinking of getting a bugera v5 and shoving a drive pedal in front of it, and im done. The few times i do practice anymore, it is on my lp, and it is usually tbone walker and clapton licks. So im really not a gear guy when it comes to music, i keep my tinkering to tennis.

That being said..GP if you dont use that red bogner very much, let me know. I may want to try that bad boy out sometime.

Anyway, feel free to talk guitar/bass as sometimes us gplayers can take over other threads, so why not have one to ourselves.

guitarplayer 11-04-2012 11:55 AM

My first band. I was in the 6th grade. That was an original 1964 Gibson SG. This was in 1966. I sold it when I was in the 9 th grade and bought a strat so I could be like Jimi Hendrix. And my awesome Sears Silvertone amp.

guitarplayer 11-06-2012 07:02 PM

My current board. Pedaltrain Pro

Power Player 11-06-2012 07:32 PM

Yes the metal zone. My first pedal. Loved that thing. Thats a lot of distortion options, iu sure you need that red bogner? It looks out of place...lol.

My pedal board before i sold it was a ts9, boss tuner, big muff, memory man, mxr phase 90 and rat.

guitarplayer 11-06-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 6999557)
Yes the metal zone. My first pedal. Loved that thing. Thats a lot of distortion options, iu sure you need that red bogner? It looks out of place...lol.

My pedal board before i sold it was a ts9, boss tuner, big muff, memory man, mxr phase 90 and rat.

I've owned every one of those pedals!

max 11-07-2012 05:48 AM

I play acoustic; love the live strings. I've got a Chinese Guild, which I bought around 2005, and which, in today's time and temperature and humidity and age, is really starting to sound very, very nice.

I've lusted after more expensive guitars, American Guilds like the D-55, but at the end of the day, sound matters, and what I've got trucks along very well.

Power Player 11-07-2012 06:19 AM

I do want a Martin one day. I know the acoustic bug will bite me again. I started on classical guitar when I was a kid and there is something great about just cranking out some fingerstyle jams with no effects or amps on a perfectly crafted and intonated acoustic guitar.

The Meat 11-07-2012 06:35 AM

What's everyone's favorite string brand and gauges?

Mine's D'addario EXL 110

NiteFly 11-07-2012 06:45 AM

Very nice setup GuitarPlayer! I love the finish on the Les Paul. I will own one one of these days! What amp are you playing through? I haven't messed with my rig in years as I haven't played in bands for the last 8 years. When I do start playing again, I imagine I will go with a simpler set-up and lower wattage.

My current rig is a Parker Fly Artist -> Boss V-Wah -> VHT Ultralead with a TC GMajor in the effects loop and a Behringer midi pedal that controls channel switching on the head and patch changes on the Gmajor. The VHT distortion is so dry and unique, it might be hard to give up. I did have this amp modified by Trace at Voodoo Amps to fatten it up a bit and give more usable sweep on the distortion knob.

Most of the time these days I just play through an epiphone valve jr though. From the rig above to one knob is a pretty big contrast!

I sold all my other guitars to buy the Parker, but I held onto my 91 Fender Strat. Thinking about putting Joe Barden's in that.

The only gear lust I have right now besides the Bardens is a new acoustic, and a 1x12 low watt tube amp. Of course, once I buy the amp, I'm sure Ill need to build around that :)

Power Player 11-07-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7000196)

Mine's D'addario EXL 110

Ernie Ball. Just out of company loyalty. I would have my bass restrung every show on tour.

Nitfely, awesome man. I want a small tube amp as well. I am leaning towards the bugera because I don't want to spend a lot, but the valve junior has always been highly respected in that same price range. I could make a GASy purchase in one of those bogner pedals and put it in front, since that is my favorite distortion tone besides a cranked Orange amp and I'd be done.

Dilettante 11-07-2012 06:57 AM

I normally don't use pedals, not even playing live. Just a tuner pedal and the amp channel switch (and not always).

I'm learning A LOT playing that way, specially live where I have to take control of the sound the amp is producing just with my way of playing.

I only use pedals when the band requires it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7000196)

Mine's D'addario EXL 110

Dean Markley Blue Steel 009-042

Power Player 11-07-2012 07:02 AM

I love that setup. Use the channel and volume knobs to control things. It works great for many bands as long as you can play well and have a good setup. What is yours?

Ran an SG into an old 72 Marshall like that and used to do classic rock covers once a week with some friends at a blues bar..it was freaking awesome.

SlapShot 11-07-2012 08:26 AM

I've been on a gear buying spree myself lately. In the last 4 months, I've bought:

PRS McCarty
Gibson LP Traditional Pro
MJT '62 Tele copy in firemist gold
Avid Eleven Rack (greatest home-jamming tool in the universe)

I'm a Tele guy at heart, but the McCarty and LP were such good deals, I couldn't pass them up. Always good to have some variety in tones at hand as well. The 11Rack was bought because I expect once I finish grad school, I'll be starting a fun cover band and my homebuilt amps (Matchless DC30 clone, hot-rodded AC30, Plexi clone) won't have enough variety, and carrying a 3 channel head and cab is just too much for me now in my "old" age.

With regard to strings, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DR 10's user. They were the first string that I felt didn't have a break-in period where they were too bright, and they stayed fresh longer than D'Addarios or Ernie Balls.

Power Player 11-07-2012 08:34 AM

I have to get my Studio LP intonated and worked on. but my god, the LP is still to me the king. Love the necks, love the tone, love even though sensitive intonation...lol.

But I came up in the PRS era where everyone started using them and putting them through a Mesa Boogie became the new gibson through marshall. Then we got a ton on the road, and every single band had them. I have overdosed on PRS since then even though they are excellent guitars.

So Im a tele/gibson guy as well. But probably the best guitar I ever owned besides my LP was a cherry red strat with a maple neck.

guitarplayer 11-07-2012 10:17 AM

I've gone full circle from the old days. Used to runa 76 Marshall JMP...no pedals...just the vol knob on the SG. Had Rectos and everythin in between. Now a simple set up. My pedalboard through a beautiful clean platform...Fender Hot Rod DeluxeIII.

My LP has been modded. Duncan Invader in the bridge, bone nut, Grover tuners, strap locks. It's a little rock machine.

tennis_balla 11-07-2012 10:24 AM

Here's my Ernie Ball/Music Man Axis. Best guitar I've ever played.

Power Player 11-07-2012 10:28 AM

Those EB guitars are really underrated.

tennis_balla 11-07-2012 10:35 AM

Very underrated.

There's a factory tour on Youtube of the Music Man factory. It puts everyone else to shame in how they manufacture their guitars. Only John Suhr and PRS would be at the same level and/or surpass it.

Power Player 11-07-2012 10:43 AM

I was going to use EB on tour and figured theyd just send me a loaner and I'd be all set. Instead, they began making me a custom guitar and the timeline was too long so I cancelled it. But that in itself was pretty great and why they are one of the most toured with brands out there, especially for string and Basses.

tennis_balla 11-07-2012 10:47 AM

Their basses are legendary and the customer service they have is amazing. Sterling Ball even posts and interacts with members on their online forum.

The reason why I bought a Music Man and forgot about everything else was not just how well it played and sounded but the build quality of the instrument and materials used. There's no cutting corners. They make quality guitars.